Bottle Rocket B

Zioly
Division: B
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by Zioly »

kendreaditya wrote:From what I noticed from lunching bottle rocket, you have to have a windy day rocket and a non-windy day rocket. This is because when I use the mylar tube on a windy day the rocket can't gain height. However, when I use the T8 tubes I can get a lot higher. But if I use the T8 tubes on a non-windy day then the times are not as great as the mylar cones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my rocket!
Huh, that's interesting. Is your mylar cone bending in the wind, causing it to fall short of what the T8 tube can achieve? I just have one rocket type for any scenario, having a mylar cone sturdy enough, but also light enough to maintain the best of best worlds.

Also, what times are you getting? I haven't tried T8 tubes this year yet, but I might just give them a go.
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
MaeleeB
State: CA

Post by MaeleeB »

We have been struggling with building a competitive rocket. At our last invitational we were told that the nose cone is meant to be related to the center of gravity. To increase time in the air, exactly where should the center of gravity be? Is it where the egg is? Are we using the nose cone to balance the weight behind and in front of the egg?
Dohnnovan
State: CA

Post by Dohnnovan »

Zioly wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:From what I noticed from lunching bottle rocket, you have to have a windy day rocket and a non-windy day rocket. This is because when I use the mylar tube on a windy day the rocket can't gain height. However, when I use the T8 tubes I can get a lot higher. But if I use the T8 tubes on a non-windy day then the times are not as great as the mylar cones.

Huh, that's interesting. Is your mylar cone bending in the wind, causing it to fall short of what the T8 tube can achieve? I just have one rocket type for any scenario, having a mylar cone sturdy enough, but also light enough to maintain the best of best worlds.

Also, what times are you getting? I haven't tried T8 tubes this year yet, but I might just give them a go.
using T8 tubes, I currently tested a rocket that got 10 seconds at 45 PSI
Ukiah High School '20
kendreaditya
Division: C
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

Dohnnovan wrote:
Zioly wrote:

using T8 tubes, I currently tested a rocket that got 10 seconds at 45 PSI
using 2 ft long mylar nosecone 11 seconds at 60 PSI
sciolyohio

Post by sciolyohio »

daycd wrote:
y1008083 wrote:Wright state first was like 18 seconds on 50psi
Was this an official time? A windy day? That is an incredible time. I'm guessing that 12 seconds is where a lot of the good teams will end up. With the exceptional teams being nearer 14 seconds.
It was about 18.56 seconds combined, a little windy, and the best time was under 10, average was 3-5 seconds. Hope this helps.
kendreaditya
Division: C
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

Last years highest times were 50 seconds. How in the world did they get that! Some people are getting 20 seconds, how?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

kendreaditya wrote:Last years highest times were 50 seconds. How in the world did they get that! Some people are getting 20 seconds, how?
50 seconds combined between the two launches. Also, last year the bottle size was 2 liters, this year it's 1 liter.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Zioly
State: WA

Post by Zioly »

kendreaditya wrote:Last years highest times were 50 seconds. How in the world did they get that! Some people are getting 20 seconds, how?
I'm assuming you mean how did people get 20 seconds per rocket last year? If not, correct me, and also if what you meant is that there are people achieving 20+ seconds this year... HOW? But to answer your assumed question, the nationals winning time was 20+ seconds. I believe the 6th place rockets got ~15 seconds per rocket... how do they achieve these remarkable times? Lots and lots of testing! :)

EDIT: @sciolyohio and kendreaditya and anyone who attended WSU invitational, how were the averages only 3-5 seconds!? Those times seem absurdly low. Was it something to do with the launcher, weather, etc?
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
y1008083
State: TX

Post by y1008083 »

Yeah,the launcher was kinda messed up.
abayarea

Post by abayarea »

Are the timings you are mentioning with the egg compartment and egg in it or just the empty rocket.
We are getting close to 9 sec without anything but once we put the egg ,the max we have got is 5-6 sec.
Has water levels affected the rocket duration ?

Return to “Bottle Rocket B”