The Pressure Vessel

MatthewL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Pressure Vessel

Post by MatthewL »

I've always thought that the hole bottle was the "pressure vessel" but I am not sure considering that there are two bottles connected. I am having trouble identifying what exactly the pressure vessel is?is it the bottle half that holds the water or is it the half that is connected to the nose? Also, can there be anything taped or glued to anything that is not considered the pressure vessel? Finally lets say that the pressure vessel is the half containing the water can it be taped to the half connected to the nose?
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Re: The Pressure Vessel

Post by andrewwski »

The bottle that you pressurize (the one that you pump up with air).

I haven't seen the rules from this year, but the answers to your adhesive questions should be in there. In the past, using tape, silicone glue, etc, was fine to bond to the pressure vessel. Adhesives that damage the structure of the pressure vessel (and thus make it more likely to rupture) such as CA glues, hot glue, epoxies, etc. were not allowed.
Zioly
Division: B
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Pressure Vessel

Post by Zioly »

MatthewL wrote:I've always thought that the hole bottle was the "pressure vessel" but I am not sure considering that there are two bottles connected. I am having trouble identifying what exactly the pressure vessel is?is it the bottle half that holds the water or is it the half that is connected to the nose? Also, can there be anything taped or glued to anything that is not considered the pressure vessel? Finally lets say that the pressure vessel is the half containing the water can it be taped to the half connected to the nose?
The pressure vessel is the one you fill with water and pump with air. Nothing may damage or alter the PV in any way so as to potentially rupture and cause harm. Therefore, you may not use glue to attach fins or other components. Only tape is allowed. However, you may use glue indirectly, if you so choose to. (Hint, hint.)

Also, why not try the general topic thread instead of opening these new ones? :D

Return to “Bottle Rocket B”