How Could We Improve Scioly.org?

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Re: How Could We Improve Scioly.org?

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » June 19th, 2018, 1:33 pm

I am guessing you are talking mainly about the exchange on the wiki, as the exchange on scioly.org/tests does have that feature (and it has very quietly been updated with 2018 tests). As for the wiki, I think it may be possible to create some sort of mechanism to make links open in a new tab, but it would probably be a relatively major project, especially regarding internal links. That's not to say it's not worth playing around with, but it's not exactly a simple fix.

My personal recommendation is to either use a mouse with a central scrolling button, so that if you click on a link with the central button it opens in a new tab automatically, or hold down CTRL and left click on a link, as it should open in a new tab as well. I assume this works with the Command button with Mac-OS, but I do not know for certain.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Jacobi
State: -

Postby Jacobi » September 19th, 2018, 6:15 am

I've had trouble posting to the test exchange.

Anomaly
Division: C
State: PA

Postby Anomaly » September 19th, 2018, 6:34 am

Jacobi wrote:I've had trouble posting to the test exchange.

Currently there’s no way to post to the test exchange on scioly.org/tests, but you can upload to the old text exchange on the wiki.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018 (Student Coach 2019), Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 24
Regional: 14
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Disease Detectives, Codebusters, Write It Do It

#livingalifeofdepression

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » September 19th, 2018, 7:55 am

Alternatively, you can send a PM to bernard to arrange for the tests to be added to scioly.org/tests. We know the process for uploading individual tests to the wiki test exchange is cumbersome, but currently there is no "simplest" way.

If users have full sets, those can be linked to here.

It bears mentioning that it is possible to earn exalted medals by adding significant amounts of tests to the exchange. The threshold is higher for self-made tests rather than sets of invitational tests, but it is possible through either.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Killboe
Division: B
State: FL

Postby Killboe » September 22nd, 2018, 8:12 am

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Alternatively, you can send a PM to bernard to arrange for the tests to be added to scioly.org/tests. We know the process for uploading individual tests to the wiki test exchange is cumbersome, but currently there is no "simplest" way.

It bears mentioning that it is possible to earn exalted medals by adding significant amounts of tests to the exchange. The threshold is higher for self-made tests rather than sets of invitational tests, but it is possible through either.

lol key for thermodynamics UF is still not fixed
2019 River City Science Academy
2019 Events

Awards
2019 Results
OSS/Dodgen/OSS/R/S/N
Disease Detectives : 4/9/3/_/_/_
Solar System : 7/5/5/_/_/_
Thermodynamics : 5/6/12(bigoof)/_/_/_

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

Total Awards: 6

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » September 22nd, 2018, 9:19 pm

Killboe wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Alternatively, you can send a PM to bernard to arrange for the tests to be added to scioly.org/tests. We know the process for uploading individual tests to the wiki test exchange is cumbersome, but currently there is no "simplest" way.

lol key for thermodynamics UF is still not fixed

Its fixed on UFSO's end. If you go on our website and go to the test and keys link, you will find the correct key in the google drive folder.
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

jlordhe
State: CA

Postby jlordhe » September 25th, 2018, 9:50 pm

I want the upvote function pls
Events I Might Do and Want to Do: Fossils, Wright Stuff, Herpetology, Water Quality, Boomilever

Jacobi
State: -

Postby Jacobi » October 11th, 2018, 5:37 pm

1. The image gallery is all messed up. I am unable to upload anything.

2. That said, is there something I can do to help fix code problems (i.e. with the Gallery)?

TheChiScientist
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » November 1st, 2018, 5:38 pm

Is it just me or do other people get the ERROR screen at times?
A Science Olympian from 2015 -To Present
Medal Count:22 8-)
Current Events
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design

Background In
Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Ecology, Fermi

School: Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120 ;)

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS

Postby Schrodingerscat » November 1st, 2018, 6:07 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:Is it just me or do other people get the ERROR screen at times?

Are you talking about roughly an hour ago or at other times? The one an hour ago was due to an issue against which I already took action.

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » November 1st, 2018, 6:36 pm

Schrodingerscat wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Is it just me or do other people get the ERROR screen at times?

Are you talking about roughly an hour ago or at other times? The one an hour ago was due to an issue against which I already took action.

That would be during the past 24 hours. It was at its worst from 8am CT to 6pm CT. Most likely due to servers being jampacked. Although I did receive this message twice yesterday... :?
Current Events

Background In

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS

Postby Schrodingerscat » November 1st, 2018, 6:47 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
Schrodingerscat wrote:

That would be during the past 24 hours. It was at its worst from 8am CT to 6pm CT. Most likely due to servers being jampacked. Although I did receive this message twice yesterday... :?

Turns out the issue I fixed started yesterday evening according to the logs.

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » November 1st, 2018, 7:08 pm

Schrodingerscat wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
Schrodingerscat wrote:

Turns out the issue I fixed started yesterday evening according to the logs.

Ok. Then, in that case, I think we are good. I haven't had any more problems and the site is running smoothly. :)
Current Events

Background In

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » November 21st, 2018, 6:11 pm

You should make it so that every time you want to notify someone in a post, instead of quoting them you can just @ them (e.g. @bernard) to send them a notification just like quoting.
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » December 13th, 2018, 1:13 pm

My suggestions:
1. Make posting easier, more like typing in Google Docs or Microsoft Word. Sometimes I wanna bold something, or italicize, and I'll hit control b/i. Then, later on, I'll realize the stuff wasn't bolded. The bar thingy which allows you to bold and stuff, the one that's given at the top when posting, is somewhat inconvenient, unaesthetic, and rather complicated. It's hard to make tables and insert images. I understand that this would be a big project, but I feel like making everything simpler (less knowledge of BB Code needed) and more aesthetic would definitely be an improvement. I have friends who don't bother posting on scioly.org because they think it is complicated.
2. Improve the user control panel and tool bar. It would be great to have an aesthetically improved userpage and tool bar. Something more like what you would see on twitter. Like, a decent search, a larger icon, larger notifications section, larger PM section.
3. Improve private messaging. It's kinda weird, I would much prefer something to look like sending an email using gmail or outlook.
4. When posting, don't show the bb code. This is definitely me being OCD, but I hate how bolding something looks like [/b]blah blah blah[b] (code error is on purpose). Hiding the code would be a definite aesthetic improvement.
5. Font. I think most font here is either in Times New Roman, Sabs Serif, Roboto, or Arial, and some fonts just make this site look old. A more modern font like Calibri would be cool (just my opinion)

Stuff I agree with:
1. An app would be a good idea, as people are more likely to use an app than click on a website frequently. That's just my psychological guess based on my experiences and observations.
2. Organization of threads is super important. Perhaps you could make it so only admins, moderators, exalted members, and members with 100+ posts can make new topics/threads. Because many "noobs" come on here, don't bother reading past posts, and ask questions that have been answered 10+ times (I know because I was like this last year).
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Thermodynamics
"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson
Rest in peace Balsa Man. You were a great man. :cry:

Return to “Feedback”