EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: How Could We Improve Scioly.org?

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

bernard definitely handles a lot more of the aesthetic stuff around here than I do, but a lot of your ideas would require shifting the site to a different forum software other than phpBB. Which still is a valid suggestion, but a lot of things such as posting mechanics, the UCP, private messaging, and BBCode are things that we cannot get rid of or make significant changes to without changing the entire site and archiving this one (a la past generations that can be viewed, though not accessed, here).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Paypog
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by Paypog »

I have one problem with this website. The mods (AHEM EAST) are able to edit posts, which means even if I'm saying something completely harmless, they can (and have) changed the post to mess with me. It's very unsettling and really causes some internal scarring every time it occurs. Therefore, I believe that mods should be able to delete posts, but not directly change them. Thank you for your valuable time. :)
2018 Events: Anatomy (Big oof), Ecology (Mild oof), Experimental Design( :D :D ), Herpetology (Mild oof)
2019 Events: Anatomy (oof), Experimental Design (oof), Herpetology (oof), Circuit Lab (oof)
2020 Events: Anatomy, Ornithology, Ping-Pong Parachute
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Paypog wrote:I have one problem with this website. The mods (AHEM EAST) are able to edit posts, which means even if I'm saying something completely harmless, they can (and have) changed the post to mess with me. It's very unsettling and really causes some internal scarring every time it occurs. Therefore, I believe that mods should be able to delete posts, but not directly change them. Thank you for your valuable time. :)
This makes total sense to me.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

In the event that this is a serious suggestion; no, editing privileges will not be revoked from moderators. In the event that a post contains something actually problematic, but has already been quoted by other posts, being able to edit is important to maintain the flow of a thread.

Now, mods will sometimes apply this to posts that don't break any rules, but rather speak ill of the mods, in a tongue-in-cheek manner. If someone gets their post edited in this situation and has a legitimate problem with it, they can send a private message to the mod to work it out.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Paypog
Been thanked: 0

Post by Paypog »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:In the event that this is a serious suggestion; no, editing privileges will not be revoked from moderators. In the event that a post contains something actually problematic, but has already been quoted by other posts, being able to edit is important to maintain the flow of a thread.

Now, mods will sometimes apply this to posts that don't break any rules, but rather speak ill of the mods, in a tongue-in-cheek manner. If someone gets their post edited in this situation and has a legitimate problem with it, they can send a private message to the mod to work it out.
Alright thank you. Time to send you a private message
2018 Events: Anatomy (Big oof), Ecology (Mild oof), Experimental Design( :D :D ), Herpetology (Mild oof)
2019 Events: Anatomy (oof), Experimental Design (oof), Herpetology (oof), Circuit Lab (oof)
2020 Events: Anatomy, Ornithology, Ping-Pong Parachute
Cow481
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Post by Cow481 »

Why is the color on the font color thing when you reply spelled colour, this is america not europe, there is a difference
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Has the old board website always been down?
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

MadCow2357 wrote:2. Organization of threads is super important. Perhaps you could make it so only admins, moderators, exalted members, and members with 100+ posts can make new topics/threads. Because many "noobs" come on here, don't bother reading past posts, and ask questions that have been answered 10+ times (I know because I was like this last year).
I can relate to disorganization being inconvenient but we also want to make the site accessible by those who are new. Getting your questions answered when you first joined may have encouraged you to stay.
MadCow2357 wrote:1. An app would be a good idea, as people are more likely to use an app than click on a website frequently. That's just my psychological guess based on my experiences and observations.
This would be nice to have, but it would be more work to roll out new features consistently. If we were to introduce a new feature, we'd have to make it compatible with many web browsers, a couple mobile operating systems and screen sizes. To make things manageable while still providing a decent experience for you, we've worked on making the site more mobile friendly.
Paypog wrote:I have one problem with this website. The mods (AHEM EAST) are able to edit posts, which means even if I'm saying something completely harmless, they can (and have) changed the post to mess with me. It's very unsettling and really causes some internal scarring every time it occurs. Therefore, I believe that mods should be able to delete posts, but not directly change them. Thank you for your valuable time. :)
This functionality is included in the forum software we use and not added by ourselves. As East mentioned, we use these capabilities judiciously. If a long post has a link to SO rules but is otherwise useful, I'd rather do the editing and take the link out than delete the entire post.
Cow481 wrote:Why is the color on the font color thing when you reply spelled colour, this is america not europe, there is a difference
The forums use a British English language pack. I think this is a small difference that we can live with.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:Has the old board website always been down?
It's been down for about a year or so, I don't know why.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

MadCow2357 wrote: 2. Organization of threads is super important. Perhaps you could make it so only admins, moderators, exalted members, and members with 100+ posts can make new topics/threads. Because many "noobs" come on here, don't bother reading past posts, and ask questions that have been answered 10+ times (I know because I was like this last year).
As an afterthought, maybe you could make it so that all topics need to be approved by moderators before being created, kinda like the Polling Place.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Feedback”