Season 2013 - Site suggestions

silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Season 2013 - Site suggestions

Postby silverheart7 » March 21st, 2013, 5:54 pm

Maybe a direct document transfer? Maybe like PMing a whole page, or even a PDF.

Just an idea.. :)
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Postby robotman » March 21st, 2013, 6:03 pm

Maybe a direct document transfer? Maybe like PMing a whole page, or even a PDF.

Just an idea.. :)
This is what we have the Test Exchange for. If people conduct personal test swaps then everyone will lose out on a valuable resource. We can’t stop you from exchanging tests via private message, but we do urge you to upload tests to the test exchange so that all students can learn from them. We wouldn’t have a test exchange if people weren’t willing to upload tests, and you should continue that generosity by uploading tests of your own.

In short, it will be much more beneficial to the scioly.org community if you ask for specific tests to be uploaded, or upload tests yourself to the test exchange, instead of conducting private test swaps. We acknowledge that in some cases it may be more practical to swap tests privately, but in all other cases we discourage this practice.
Edit the [wiki][/wiki].
Upload to the Image Gallery
Get Medals

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Postby Skink » March 21st, 2013, 7:13 pm

Continuing my train of thought from the test swap topic, tests written for practice purposes seem to be the best candidates for the Test Exchange. Although I think I brought this up before, I am going to bring it up once more. For next season, perhaps a site initiative could be to populate the Test Exchange as opposed to the Wiki. In other words, you assign 'scioly.org event supervisors', if you will, who are tasked with writing a test or some tests for the Test Exchange on the current rules (2014 season). If enough folks volunteer, there will be at least one test for everything (or as much as is humanly possible, anyways) before or shortly after the season starts which will be sufficient for any passers-by there may be. They come online, download and print a test, and leave satisfied that they do not have to do the work themselves. I would be more than happy to write multiple if there would be interest in this sort of thing from both the administration and the community.

mnstrviola
WikiMod Emeritus
WikiMod Emeritus
State: CA

Postby mnstrviola » March 21st, 2013, 9:07 pm

Continuing my train of thought from the test swap topic, tests written for practice purposes seem to be the best candidates for the Test Exchange. Although I think I brought this up before, I am going to bring it up once more. For next season, perhaps a site initiative could be to populate the Test Exchange as opposed to the Wiki. In other words, you assign 'scioly.org event supervisors', if you will, who are tasked with writing a test or some tests for the Test Exchange on the current rules (2014 season). If enough folks volunteer, there will be at least one test for everything (or as much as is humanly possible, anyways) before or shortly after the season starts which will be sufficient for any passers-by there may be. They come online, download and print a test, and leave satisfied that they do not have to do the work themselves. I would be more than happy to write multiple if there would be interest in this sort of thing from both the administration and the community.
Encouraging the uploading of tests is a great idea, but I don't think we should have to have an incentive in order for people to upload their tests onto the test exchange. I understand the competitive aspect of not uploading them, but seriously, the more tests that are uploaded, the more likely people will want to upload their private tests, resulting in more tests for everyone. Advertising a private exchange like in your signature just makes it a lot worse, and promotes the stagnation of the free test exchange that really benefits the community overall.

Cedavis6

Postby Cedavis6 » March 24th, 2013, 5:47 am

Is it possible to make the first unread post button bigger? Or to have the beaker thing on the side do that instead of taking you to the first page?
I wanna rebring this up.

Cjkowalcz
Division: B
State: PA

Postby Cjkowalcz » May 2nd, 2013, 2:35 pm

I don't know if this has been suggested, but maybe we should add a delete post feature. Because, sometimes, I accidentally post, realize I'm wrong (etc.), and then just end up leaving a period as a post.
2014 Rustin Invitational:
Entomology: 5th
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 Regionals:
Entomology: 3rd
Meteorology: 2nd
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 States:
???
Medal Count: 14 (Hoping for 15 after my last B-division States ;))

isaysroar

Postby isaysroar » May 8th, 2013, 4:20 pm

I don't know if this has been suggested, but maybe we should add a delete post feature. Because, sometimes, I accidentally post, realize I'm wrong (etc.), and then just end up leaving a period as a post.

Yeah I second that idea!
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

EpicFailOlympian
State: MO

Postby EpicFailOlympian » May 9th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Oh that reminds me: the delete feature was removed from the posting games some time ago. Any reasons why?
20:05~<EpicFailOlympian> On this day, in the third age of man, EpicFailOlympian has posted. Let there be rejoicing in the streets and cake for all.

<roboefo> (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<robobear> well u know what efo, the table's angry
<robobear> ┬─┬ ︵ /(.□. \)I am 97th Assassinator

asquaredplusb
State: TX

Postby asquaredplusb » May 11th, 2013, 6:37 pm

I believe that we could implement some sort of requirement for becoming a member, such as requiring the potential user to make an at least 300 (or another number) word edit to the wiki, or an upload to the test exchange, or 3 (arbitrariry number) uploads to the image gallery.

These edits would have to be approved by a moderator (or some other trustworthy user(s)), so as to avoid random meaningless edits made just to get in. There are not that many users on SciOly, so sifting through these edits would not be very difficult.

There are a few positives I think this would bring. First of all, it would ensure that new members are productive, and know, to some extent, what they are doing. Of course, there is the argument that this might deter new members - however, I believe this would be a catalyst for them to go out and do some research on some events they are interested in. This would also have the benefit of detering spammers, as the edits would have to be approved.

Additionally, this obviously would increase the volume of content on the website, and this content might be more accurate, as it would have to be approved.

Feedback?

ckssv07

Postby ckssv07 » May 11th, 2013, 7:08 pm

I believe that we could implement some sort of requirement for becoming a member, such as requiring the potential user to make an at least 300 (or another number) word edit to the wiki, or an upload to the test exchange, or 3 (arbitrariry number) uploads to the image gallery.

These edits would have to be approved by a moderator (or some other trustworthy user(s)), so as to avoid random meaningless edits made just to get in. There are not that many users on SciOly, so sifting through these edits would not be very difficult.

There are a few positives I think this would bring. First of all, it would ensure that new members are productive, and know, to some extent, what they are doing. Of course, there is the argument that this might deter new members - however, I believe this would be a catalyst for them to go out and do some research on some events they are interested in. This would also have the benefit of detering spammers, as the edits would have to be approved.

Additionally, this obviously would increase the volume of content on the website, and this content might be more accurate, as it would have to be approved.

Feedback?
I dont know how other people feel, but I think some peoples coaches wouldnt want them to give away their secrets if they are close to being able to make it to nationals.

Return to “Feedback”