Season 2013 - Site suggestions

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Re: Season 2013 - Site suggestions

Postby zyzzyva980 » July 16th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I don't think that's going to happen, and it's not necessarily because I don't think it's important or a good idea. I can think of several reasons why adopting an entire subforum for "mature" topics just doesn't fit with this website.

First of all, you have to look at the main purpose of this website, and that's Science Olympiad. That's why every single forum on here except one, General Chat, deal directly or indirectly with SO. It's easy to forget the activity in the summer when nothing's going on, but for the other nine months of the year (or really, all year) we want to keep the spotlight on our main goal in helping students with SO. We've got a General Chat forum that allows for serious discussions as well as mindless, meaningless posting games, and that's where any of those "mature" discussions would and should end up going. In other words, this website has "SO" and "The other stuff", and any more of the other stuff goes in the forum we've created for the other stuff.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, is the simple fact that it is impossible to have a "mature discussion" about "mature topics" on an internet message board. Unfortunate, yes, but true. Keep in mind that a healthy percentage of our users are still in middle school, and most of the rest are still in high school- now, age doesn't necessarily correlate to maturity, and for the most part, I'm proud of our users for being somewhat more mature than other notable forums, but that fact still remains. That's why, in those forum rules you agreed to follow, #7 says keep religious discussions and the like to yourself. That's why it's implied that users need to tread carefully around controversial issues. Even having a thread for politics is pushing it, and I was hesitant to post the news thread as well. It's nothing against any user or group of users, it's just, well, Godwin's law. I know the staff has bounced around ideas like this, and we've decided against them for similar reasons.

Now, we've got a general chat forum for a reason, and there's nothing preventing you from posting your own threads in that forum to discuss issues you feel that are important, relevant to other users, and age-appropriate for this message board. But in posting topics like this you must use good judgement, and remember "As a general rule of thumb: 'when in doubt, leave it out.'" If a topic gets too "mature" or "controversial", the moderators of course will have to review whether it's appropriate for this forum.

That should help answer your question. And as always, you can PM a staff member if you have any further questions.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Cedavis6

Postby Cedavis6 » July 17th, 2013, 5:16 am

Also, about making the view the latest post button bigger, I couldn't agree more. In fact, I didn't even know the button existed until five seconds ago when I read the suggestion to make it bigger.
Any admin/mod feedback on this?

isaysroar
Division: C
State: PA

Postby isaysroar » July 17th, 2013, 8:19 am

Can we have a way to delete threads that we don't want to be a part of anymore in the "View Your Post." It just gets too cluttered when your trying to look through threads there.
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » July 17th, 2013, 10:13 am

Also, about making the view the latest post button bigger, I couldn't agree more. In fact, I didn't even know the button existed until five seconds ago when I read the suggestion to make it bigger.
Any admin/mod feedback on this?
I have been using that button for years and I have never had any problem with it being too small. The amount of work that would go in to making it bigger wouldn't be worth it. But as an alternative, you can just go anywhere on the thread and click "First unread post" at the top of the page. That's slightly bigger, and does the same thing.
Can we have a way to delete threads that we don't want to be a part of anymore in the "View Your Post." It just gets too cluttered when your trying to look through threads there.
You're asking to remove your posts from the page whose purpose is to show all your posts? Here's what you can do to make going through it easier: You can always use the sort features at the bottom of the page to arrange titles alphabetically or only show posts in a certain time period.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

isaysroar
State: PA

Postby isaysroar » July 18th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Oh...wow :) Thanks! That helps a lot! :D
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

caseyotis
State: NY

Postby caseyotis » July 18th, 2013, 3:20 pm

I don't think that's going to happen, and it's not necessarily because I don't think it's important or a good idea. I can think of several reasons why adopting an entire subforum for "mature" topics just doesn't fit with this website.

First of all, you have to look at the main purpose of this website, and that's Science Olympiad. That's why every single forum on here except one, General Chat, deal directly or indirectly with SO. It's easy to forget the activity in the summer when nothing's going on, but for the other nine months of the year (or really, all year) we want to keep the spotlight on our main goal in helping students with SO. We've got a General Chat forum that allows for serious discussions as well as mindless, meaningless posting games, and that's where any of those "mature" discussions would and should end up going. In other words, this website has "SO" and "The other stuff", and any more of the other stuff goes in the forum we've created for the other stuff.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, is the simple fact that it is impossible to have a "mature discussion" about "mature topics" on an internet message board. Unfortunate, yes, but true. Keep in mind that a healthy percentage of our users are still in middle school, and most of the rest are still in high school- now, age doesn't necessarily correlate to maturity, and for the most part, I'm proud of our users for being somewhat more mature than other notable forums, but that fact still remains. That's why, in those forum rules you agreed to follow, #7 says keep religious discussions and the like to yourself. That's why it's implied that users need to tread carefully around controversial issues. Even having a thread for politics is pushing it, and I was hesitant to post the news thread as well. It's nothing against any user or group of users, it's just, well, Godwin's law. I know the staff has bounced around ideas like this, and we've decided against them for similar reasons.

Now, we've got a general chat forum for a reason, and there's nothing preventing you from posting your own threads in that forum to discuss issues you feel that are important, relevant to other users, and age-appropriate for this message board. But in posting topics like this you must use good judgement, and remember "As a general rule of thumb: 'when in doubt, leave it out.'" If a topic gets too "mature" or "controversial", the moderators of course will have to review whether it's appropriate for this forum.

That should help answer your question. And as always, you can PM a staff member if you have any further questions.
Ah. Well, I think the first point is pretty reasonable.

As for your second point, however, I beg to disagree. I'm a part of one Internet forum with the subforum that I was suggesting, and although some members are adults, most are teenagers (and younger). With that being said, we are able to have lengthy debates/discussions on "mature" topics there. A lot of them aren't even "mature"; there's one about Pets, Crafting/Hobbies, and Recipes. Then there are threads that are sort of borderline, where it's easy to have a debate but it usually doesn't get too serious/personal, like Allowing Kids in Restaurants and Paranormal/Supernatural. And then, there are "mature" and "sensitive" topics, which most of them aren't:
premarital sex, sexism, religion, rape penalties, etc.
Overall, it's a successful forum on that website, but if you (not just you, Z, but all of the admins) don't want to have anything like that and you want to focus on Science Olympiad, of course I understand that. :) I'm just making a suggestion. Oh, and if you want to see the website and its subforum, PM me. :>
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Postby robotman » July 18th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Overall all the "Serious" conversations can take place in general chat.
You want to talk about something? Create a thread for it.

I don't see a reason for most threads to be left to either survive or die on their own, however threads will have to stay age appropriate, and not break any of the board rules which can be read here scioly.org/rules. Especially rule #1 #4 and #7.

The biggest issue is that determining who is "mature" and who is not is not plausible.

I see no reason to create a private subforum for "mature" users, where 99% of the conversations are reasonable to be in general chat.

So create threads as much as you like, just stick to the rules (which would also apply in any subforum created)
Edit the [wiki][/wiki].
Upload to the Image Gallery
Get Medals

caseyotis
State: NY

Postby caseyotis » July 18th, 2013, 6:26 pm

I was thinking of a "Mature Discussions" subsubforum to be added under the General Chat, like "Posting Games" and "The Polling Place". The Newsgathering thread could be the basis, like the Current Events thread in the forum that I mentioned in my last post. We don't have to though, and I'm sure we could have marked threads with certain discussable topics.

I just think it's worth a test run, because I know that there are plenty of members mature enough to discuss such topics with the rest of us, and I think it would enrich us and help us better understand those who we're posting with that we don't formally know.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Postby starpug » July 18th, 2013, 6:58 pm

I was thinking of a "Mature Discussions" subsubforum to be added under the General Chat, like "Posting Games" and "The Polling Place". The Newsgathering thread could be the basis, like the Current Events thread in the forum that I mentioned in my last post. We don't have to though, and I'm sure we could have marked threads with certain discussable topics.

I just think it's worth a test run, because I know that there are plenty of members mature enough to discuss such topics with the rest of us, and I think it would enrich us and help us better understand those who we're posting with that we don't formally know.
Care to elaborate a little more what these "Mature Discussion" threads would be about?

No offense to anyone, but this site doesn't have a very good history of "debate" threads working out very well. I think we have a very nice community here where we can exchange ideas freely (or as freely as we are allowed to by our teams because god forbid we help the enemy) and I would be a little worried about wrecking that.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

geminicross
State: GA

Postby geminicross » July 18th, 2013, 7:17 pm

I think she means political/controversial.

Return to “Feedback”