Event Help Organization (read for explanation, then vote)

How should Event Help threads be organized?

There should only be one thread per event.
41%
There should be one main thread and specific questions can be asked in separate threads.
11%
There should not be a main thread; questions should be addressed in separate threads or by genre or whatever naturally happens.
2%
There should just be a separate forum for every event.
19%
There should only be a separate forum for the high traffic events
27%

Total votes: 127

Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY

Event Help Organization (read for explanation, then vote)

Postby Dark Sabre » February 14th, 2009, 4:12 pm

This would be looking at how we should organize Event Help for next year.

-This is kinda what has been going on this season. There's a main thread for each event and people are criticized for making separate threads.

There should be one main thread and specific questions can be asked in separate threads.
-This would still have the "Unofficial Scrambler thread" or whatever, but if someone had a specific question (like egg mounts, axle lubricants, etc...not "HALP ME PLS") those could be in separate threads.

There should not be a main thread; questions should be addressed in separate threads or by genre or whatever naturally happens.
-Basically a free for all.

-Sounds like a lot of trouble to click through all those forums...but would keep stuff really organized.

-We used to do this for Mission Possible and Wright Stuff, since they generated so many questions and responses. If we had done it for this season, it would probably would have been a couple of the building events. Once there is a specific forum for an event, threads for specific questions/problems follows pretty naturally.

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Event Help Organization (read for explanation, then vote)

Postby andrewwski » February 14th, 2009, 4:26 pm

This would be looking at how we should organize Event Help for next year.

-This is kinda what has been going on this season. There's a main thread for each event and people are criticized for making separate threads.
Works well right now. People are criticized for making separate threads, yes, but the thing that annoys me is if they create a separate thread asking something that's already been answered in the main thread.
-This would still have the "Unofficial Scrambler thread" or whatever, but if someone had a specific question (like egg mounts, axle lubricants, etc...not "HALP ME PLS") those could be in separate threads.
Not opposed to this, but the specific question would have to be quite involved and warrant a separate thread. No need to have a bunch of small threads with all sorts of general questions - the main threads are not that frequently used to warrant branching off other threads in almost all cases.
-Basically a free for all.
Too messy and hard to follow.
-Sounds like a lot of trouble to click through all those forums...but would keep stuff really organized.
NO! I don't have hours to go through the different forums. Having too many categories in a forum is bad. Right now there's not even a page of new replies a day in each of the existing forums - no need to make it a pain.
-We used to do this for Mission Possible and Wright Stuff, since they generated so many questions and responses. If we had done it for this season, it would probably would have been a couple of the building events. Once there is a specific forum for an event, threads for specific questions/problems follows pretty naturally.
I think subdividing into three event types keeps the clutter down enough, and again, the usage of these forums/threads is not frequent enough to subdivide it to such an extent.

robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Postby robotman » February 14th, 2009, 4:48 pm

i only want one thread its hard enough now to keep track
Edit the [wiki][/wiki].
Upload to the Image Gallery
Get Medals

danger will robinson
Division: B
State: CA
Location: Awaiting my nearly continuous shipments of nerd books from Amazon

Postby danger will robinson » February 14th, 2009, 7:26 pm

i only want one thread its hard enough now to keep track
I agree. Having a seperate thread for specific things (eg backstops for Scrambler) could be nice, but it could (and would probably be) to be too much. It would most likely be easier to just stick with what we have now and criticise people for starting new threads for already existing events.
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.

sciolykid101
Division: C
State: TN

Postby sciolykid101 » February 14th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Separate threads avoid confusion.
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 15th, 2009, 10:04 am

Yeah, it's the easiest way to do things. And we don't need to criticize new members for making a new thread, just guide them to the original one.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Postby Pleiades » February 15th, 2009, 10:14 am

or we could answer their questions on the thread they created then wait for a mod to merge it. I dont know about you guys but i dont like the +1 dead thing then 5 people posting links to another thread.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 15th, 2009, 10:20 am

Yeah, what is the point of the +1 dead thing? Is it some sort of inside joke? :?
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

binary010101
State: PA

Postby binary010101 » February 16th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Can the extra threads be either deleted or merged? (Sorry, it just bugs me: asthetics.)
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby eak227 » February 16th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Here are the issues as I see them:

1. Having one "unofficial" (why can't you just call it the official thread) per event seems to work fine in most cases. However, there are certain downfalls to this. For one, when threads get beyond 3 pages, it seems like you're just repeating the same answers over and over. Yet expecting people to actually go through and read all 12 pages or whatever before asking a question seems ridiculous. It will never happen.

2. Having specific questions warrant new threads is also a bit crazy. It would just cause an explosion of threads in the forums. And then that topic will die and float to the back of the list, never to be seen from again. Probably causing a new thread to be created later asking the same thing.

Ideally what I would like to see would be a return of the labels for each thread (which I know is probably not going to happen). But having some way of sorting threads by event without actually creating subforums would be nice. Or again... being able to customize which events you'd like to see. So like... you sign up for the events you want, and all other events will be hidden from you, so the help forums will not be cluttered with things you don't have any interest in.

I'll stop suggesting outlandish things now.
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11

Return to “Feedback”