bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Detector Building C [IL TRIAL]

Post by bernard »

Detector Building is a trial event for Division C in Illinois.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: Detector Building C [IL TRIAL]

Post by Nydauron »

When placing the device in boiling water to test the device’s durability, does the entire device (including electronics) have to be submerged or does only part of the device have be submerged (i.e. no electronics submerged except the probe)?
Conant '19UIUC '23
Physics is the only real science
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
A proper dark mode for the forums and wiki
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

Nydauron wrote:When placing the device in boiling water to test the device’s durability, does the entire device (including electronics) have to be submerged or does only part of the device have be submerged (i.e. no electronics submerged except the probe)?
I'm assuming that since they said that " the team’s device will be placed in boiling water for three minutes to check the devices durability. " they mean the whole device, but it seems strange to me why they would put electronics in water. We get told from kindergarten not to mix water and electricity
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
ManTree
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ManTree »

I was also wondering the same thing. Is there an administrator we can contact? Also if we have to place the device in water, how would it be connected to a laptop since they said it can be connected to one?
Treepixel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Treepixel »

I had a question regarding part 3b of detector building. It says the probe must not be a :? pre calibrated probe such as vernier or pasco and also must be waterproof. I had my eye on using the DS18B20 probe for Arduino but I don’t know if it would be considered as Pre calibrated.
Medal Count-12
Harper Regional
3rd- Mpos
3rd- Mtv
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Treepixel wrote:I had a question regarding part 3b of detector building. It says the probe must not be a :? pre calibrated probe such as vernier or pasco and also must be waterproof. I had my eye on using the DS18B20 probe for Arduino but I don’t know if it would be considered as Pre calibrated.
I assume you already found out the answer ;)

But for reference, the DS18B20 is a calibrated sensor (it provides digital temperature readings in degrees Celsius over 1-wire, and comes precalibrated from the manufacturer.) In my experience, you expect 1-2 degrees C variation between different DS18B20s.

Also note rule 3b: "a sensor/probe that produces a voltage dependent on the physical stimulus provided."

That rules out anything with a digital interface, such as a DS18B20.

Return to “2018 Build Events”