Chemistry Lab C

Nerd_Bunny
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

kenniky wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:Has anyone taken the University of Michigan invite test? My partner and I did the test yesterday and we were wondering if anyone was able to correctly do the math on the lab. Advice as well would be really helpful. Thanks!
Test writer here-

So let's say you have moles of NaCl and moles of CaCl2; we want to find and .

From the experiment you should get the mass of the sample, the mass of water used , the boiling temperature without dissolved salt , and the boiling temperature with salt .

The boiling point elevation formula says that where is the molality and is the Van't Hoff factor (sp?), which can be approximated as the number of ions that one molecule of a substance dissociates into. In particular, and .

Here, . Since the two salts have different Van't Hoff factors, their contributions need to be calculated separately; , and . Since we assumed moles of NaCl and moles of CaCl2, and . So you end up with , which looks kind of ugly but is just an equation in and since everything else is known.

Also, from the masses you get , note that the s here are mass not molality (why does chemistry use the same symbols for everything qq). So which is also an equation in and .

So you just have a system of equations:

which should be solvable, making sure to account for SI units and such.

For example, if C, C, kg, and g, you have

from which you get moles and moles and then you can find the percent mass from there

In retrospect I probably should have given a procedure for everyone to follow at least, so that they could get to the math here because very few people ended up even considering , or just made it a test question and had a slightly easier lab ... oops

Feel free to ask me other questions about my test if my messy typed out equations didn't make sense lol
Thank you! This helps so much! My partner will be very pleased to see this. :)
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Would the electromagnetic spectrum come up on a test? I don't think it would, but has anyone had a test question on it?
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by raxu »

Hi! I was practicing Chem Lab and for a few calculations I didn't agree with the answer key. Can you check my work? Thanks!

1. An object with mass 46.2g displaces 0.34 Liters of water when submerged in a tank. What is the object’s density?
46.2g/340cm^3=0.135g/cm^3.

2. Lead has a melting point of 327.5 °C, specific heat 0.128 J/g ⋅°C, and molar enthalpy of fusion 4.80 kJ/mol. How much heat, in kJ, will be required to heat a 500.0 g sample of lead from 23.0 °C to its melting point and then melt it?
500g*0.128J/gC*304.5C+500g/(207.2g/mol)*4800J/mol=31kJ.

Thanks again!
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.
Excelsior
State: TX

Post by Excelsior »

If tryouts go well, I will be entering Division C to compete for the next school year. I currently do Potions and Poisons in Division B and I was wondering, are there any concepts that transfer over? I know the topics rotate for Chem Lab but for Potions, everything is just set in whatever the rules are, the only differences being the toxic plants/animals tested. What are the similarities in the two events, if any?

Thanks!
Div B
2016-2017 - Crime, Disease, Fast Facts, Mission Possible
2017-2018 - Crime, Potions, Thermo, Disease, Microbe
Div C
2018-2019 - Forensics, Anatomy, Disease, ExD
2019-2020 - Forensics, Anatomy, Disease, ExD

Seven Lakes Junior High '18, Seven Lakes High School '22
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

raxu wrote:Hi! I was practicing Chem Lab and for a few calculations I didn't agree with the answer key. Can you check my work? Thanks!

1. An object with mass 46.2g displaces 0.34 Liters of water when submerged in a tank. What is the object’s density?
46.2g/340cm^3=0.135g/cm^3.

2. Lead has a melting point of 327.5 °C, specific heat 0.128 J/g ⋅°C, and molar enthalpy of fusion 4.80 kJ/mol. How much heat, in kJ, will be required to heat a 500.0 g sample of lead from 23.0 °C to its melting point and then melt it?
500g*0.128J/gC*304.5C+500g/(207.2g/mol)*4800J/mol=31kJ.

Thanks again!
Both look good to me! (Although the density for 1 rounds to 0.136 g/cm^3)
AllenWang314
State: MA

Post by AllenWang314 »

Last minute thing that is bothering my mind: If a write-in question at nationals is worth 5 points how many points does one lose for

1. being off by a little bit (5.07 vs 5.05)?
2. messing up sig figs (5.07 vs 5.1)?
Without geometry, life would be pointless.

National Medals: 2017 Forensics 2nd, ...

Return to “2018 Lab Events”