Crime Busters B

drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by drcubbin »

dholdgreve wrote:Not usually... Nothing says they can't, but usually it is just distilled water. FWIW, using the same ink can provide SUBSTANTIALLY differing results with the different solvents. Even if the ink is soluble with both, the color fractionalization can be totally different.
Much appreciated! :D
strawberryy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by strawberryy »

is it possible to get diff tests in the comp?
strawberryy

Post by strawberryy »

is it possible to get diff tests in the comp?
drcubbin
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

strawberryy wrote:is it possible to get diff tests in the comp?
If you mean that different teams will get different tests at the same event, I don't believe so. It enough to make up one test per event :shock:
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

On the other hand, if your question is " Is it possible to be provided (DENSITY) DIFFERENTIAL tests in the competition?" the answer is yes. The Event Coordinator may provide various density liquids using blends of saltwater, alcohol, or cooking oil... even high fructose corn syrup... each has a different specific gravity or density that can be used to identify various polymer unknowns. Due to competition time constraints, I've always carefully massed my density liquids ahead of time, and labeled them with the specific gravity, but I heard of competitions that don't do this, and require the kids to determine the SG of each liquid so they can then test their polymers.

BTW, the density solutions containing alcohol, are difficult to control. If the lid gets left off, the alcohol can vaporize, concentrating the heavier water... so the SG may be slightly higher as the day goes on...
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
strawberryy

Post by strawberryy »

dholdgreve wrote:
On the other hand, if your question is " Is it possible to be provided (DENSITY) DIFFERENTIAL tests in the competition?" the answer is yes. The Event Coordinator may provide various density liquids using blends of saltwater, alcohol, or cooking oil... even high fructose corn syrup... each has a different specific gravity or density that can be used to identify various polymer unknowns. Due to competition time constraints, I've always carefully massed my density liquids ahead of time, and labeled them with the specific gravity, but I heard of competitions that don't do this, and require the kids to determine the SG of each liquid so they can then test their polymers.

BTW, the density solutions containing alcohol, are difficult to control. If the lid gets left off, the alcohol can vaporize, concentrating the heavier water... so the SG may be slightly higher as the day goes on...
drcubbin wrote:
If you mean that different teams will get different tests at the same event, I don't believe so. It enough to make up one test per event :shock:

thanks!
Herpgeek

Post by Herpgeek »

Does anyone know why solid KI would be added to the crime busters kit? Liquid can test for starch but why solid?????
hippo9
Division: C
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

Herpgeek wrote:Does anyone know why solid KI would be added to the crime busters kit? Liquid can test for starch but why solid?????
Isn't liquid KI just dissolved in water? I think they just want you to dissolve it yourself.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
Herpgeek

Post by Herpgeek »

Lugols solution to measure starch is KI + Elemental iodine in specific amounts, I am not sure what just adding KI to water gets you.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

Herpgeek wrote:Does anyone know why solid KI would be added to the crime busters kit? Liquid can test for starch but why solid?????
"Solid KI" is not on the official list of items allowed in the kit from National Rules, and liquid potassium Iodide is to be provided by the event coordinator, not brought with you in the kit. I have never heard of solid potassium iodide, but I have seen and used iodine crystals, in making my own lugol's solution. You cannot just dissolve iodine crystals in water to get the starch indicator... you must first dissolve potassium chloride in water, then add the iodine to make is soluble.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Return to “2018 Lab Events”