bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Crime Busters B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by pikachu4919 »

For any competitors doing Crime Busters:

I've done quite a bit of event supervising for Forensics, and I did supervise Crime Busters once since I also had Forensics to supervise at the same tournament, but I'm really not all that experienced in that since my school district did not have Division B SciOly, and while Crime Busters is the Division B parallel of Forensics, there were still quite some significant differences that were not the easiest to adjust to when I first tried running Crime Busters.

If any of competitors who are currently doing Crime Busters or have competed in it in the past would like to offer me some suggestions for what I can do to be an effective event supervisor for it based on their experiences from competing in it, I would absolutely love to hear them, as I would like to make sure I can run whatever events I get assigned to run to the best of my ability!
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

pikachu4919 wrote:For any competitors doing Crime Busters:

I've done quite a bit of event supervising for Forensics, and I did supervise Crime Busters once since I also had Forensics to supervise at the same tournament, but I'm really not all that experienced in that since my school district did not have Division B SciOly, and while Crime Busters is the Division B parallel of Forensics, there were still quite some significant differences that were not the easiest to adjust to when I first tried running Crime Busters.

If any of competitors who are currently doing Crime Busters or have competed in it in the past would like to offer me some suggestions for what I can do to be an effective event supervisor for it based on their experiences from competing in it, I would absolutely love to hear them, as I would like to make sure I can run whatever events I get assigned to run to the best of my ability!
Get better supplies, the lab coats and goggles were absolutely terrible.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

Do know where the different teams are sitting and if they leave the stations how they should be. A disorganized station can be terrible for the next team and the offenders should lose points.
Person

Post by Person »

WhatScience? wrote:Do know where the different teams are sitting and if they leave the stations how they should be. A disorganized station can be terrible for the next team and the offenders should lose points.
I'm not sure if this is also the case for Crime Busters, but Forensics has a penalty if the area is not cleaned up properly.
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

What do you do in Crime Busters? I forgot.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY

Post by NeilMehta »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:What do you do in Crime Busters? I forgot.
Good question!
Crime Busters Wiki
Crime Busters Wiki wrote: In Crime Busters, students will identify perpetrators of a certain crime by identifying unknown powders, liquids, and metals, and analyzing hairs, fibers, plastics, fingerprints, DNA evidence, shoeprints, tire treads, soil and splatters. Students will also analyze evidence from paper chromatography. Students should be able to use this data to answer some questions about who committed the crime and how the evidence supports their argument. This event was previously known as Science Crime Busters, but was changed to Crime Busters after the 2009-2010 season.
Last edited by NeilMehta on October 3rd, 2017, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Person wrote:I'm not sure if this is also the case for Crime Busters, but Forensics has a penalty if the area is not cleaned up properly.
Yes.
Crime Busters rule manual wrote:...4. Scoring...d. A penalty of up to 10% may be given if a team's work area is not cleaned up as instructed by the event supervisor.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

Very true but it is important that this rule is enforced because some ESs choose no to which can become frustrating for the competitors.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

pikachu4919 wrote:For any competitors doing Crime Busters:

There is always the obvious stuff:
If running more than one flight, make sure that they are all run exactly the same... start and finish at the same time, same chemicals, same preamble... etc.
Don't take the easy route and pull a test from on line... The kids have already seen all of those.
Make sure that if you are writing an original, it has a logical solution
The kids are nervous enough already, don't play hard nose... Enforce the rules, but do it gently... (LOL)
I use one of the marker boards in the room to locate where each team is sitting, so that I can go back and determine which team left it a mess, then penalize accordingly.
When asked a question by one group, repeat the question so the entire room can hear, then answer the same, so as not to give one team an advantage. Repeat the question in future flights
Have individual evidence bags made up for each team... none of this communal sharing of chemicals
This year has one new twist. Conductivity testers are now allowed. Make sure that you are using current rules.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Return to “2018 Lab Events”