Anapolis
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Anapolis »

Birdmusic wrote:
ScientistInTraining wrote:I am in crime busters, I haven't been able to find fibers without having to buy a new kit. Are they absolutely necessary to get them before my competition?
Probably not, the kit comes some fibers you can get in stores or online. You could also just watch videos of fiber burn tests (https://youtu.be/kb4tCcnA6jo) and look up information about fibers under a microscope so you can be familiar with them. However, it's probably best if you get your hands on some real ones and inspect them under a microscope and burn them if you haven't done that before.
You could always look for old clothes you have and check the tags to find what they are made of and perform tests on those fibers. You could also go to your local craft store and ask for different types of fabrics and yarns.
(n)
crime 5
road 19 (oof)
(s/n)
fast facts 2/11
 rocks 2/6
 road 7/6
crime 2/3
widi 2/6
wright stuff (lol only did invies)
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

Anapolis wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
ScientistInTraining wrote:I am in crime busters, I haven't been able to find fibers without having to buy a new kit. Are they absolutely necessary to get them before my competition?
Probably not, the kit comes some fibers you can get in stores or online. You could also just watch videos of fiber burn tests (https://youtu.be/kb4tCcnA6jo) and look up information about fibers under a microscope so you can be familiar with them. However, it's probably best if you get your hands on some real ones and inspect them under a microscope and burn them if you haven't done that before.
You could always look for old clothes you have and check the tags to find what they are made of and perform tests on those fibers. You could also go to your local craft store and ask for different types of fabrics and yarns.
I went to a local fabric store and bought (yes, they made me BUY them) nearly a dozen samples of various types of material. The smallest amount they could sell is 1/32 of a square yard. Most fabric will probably average around $10.00 / SY, so we are talking about 32 cents per sample, and it is enough to make probably 100 different piece from. If you explain what you need it for, and give them your pitiful sad puppy dog eyes, MANY fabric stores will use this opportunity to just "square up their last cut" and just give it to you... I'm still working on the look, so I haven't been successful yet!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
<<rhine>>

Post by <<rhine>> »

What would be the best way to differentiate silk from polyester when looking at them under a microscope? Should I just rely on the burn test for these two fibers?
~
"I only conform to society."
Anapolis

Post by Anapolis »

<<rhine>> wrote:What would be the best way to differentiate silk from polyester when looking at them under a microscope? Should I just rely on the burn test for these two fibers?
you are aware we DON’T need to mention specific fibers, right? But under the microscope cottton is a more twisted strand while polyester is a smooth strand.
(n)
crime 5
road 19 (oof)
(s/n)
fast facts 2/11
 rocks 2/6
 road 7/6
crime 2/3
widi 2/6
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

however, couldn't it possibly used as a nicer more logical connection in analysis? but if the es justs puts like a random synthetic like acrylic and expects u to draw a connection to polyester, then its an oof
Anapolis

Post by Anapolis »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:however, couldn't it possibly used as a nicer more logical connection in analysis? but if the es justs puts like a random synthetic like acrylic and expects u to draw a connection to polyester, then its an oof
You could just assume that if you find a synthetic fiber it would match with any synthetic fibers found on the suspects... i mean.... you could find specifics i guess...... idk lol
(n)
crime 5
road 19 (oof)
(s/n)
fast facts 2/11
 rocks 2/6
 road 7/6
crime 2/3
widi 2/6
drcubbin
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

One of the archived Crime Busters tests (The Case of the Missing Kandinsky) states for the chromatography portion that "if they have attached the same sample in both DI and ISO, give one more point". What id DI and ISO? DIstilled water and ISOpropyl alcohol? Feeling a little foolish that I do not see what must be obvious :?
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

basically... deionized water and isopropyl
drcubbin
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:basically... deionized water and isopropyl
Thanks. I've supervised a few events, but never Crime Busters. Do they always provide both provide water and isopropol alcohol at stations?
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

Not usually... Nothing says they can't, but usually it is just distilled water. FWIW, using the same ink can provide SUBSTANTIALLY differing results with the different solvents. Even if the ink is soluble with both, the color fractionalization can be totally different.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Return to “2018 Lab Events”