dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by dholdgreve »

Mcello5 wrote:
knowthewrightstuff wrote:My team has had trouble identifying the difference between water and hydrogen peroxide since they are both odorless and have the same pH. We have tried shaking them and looking for bubbles, but both liquids bubble for us. Are there other methods we could try to effectively identify the difference between these liquids?
Try putting a few drops of iodine in with it and then shake it. Leave it sit for several minutes then if you see bubbles its hydrogen peroxide. Also try blue litmus paper but the more reliable route is the iodine.
Everyone always looks for a 2-part reaction... yes, I think there is some science behind adding IKI to H2O2... but also look to your other evidence... Did any of your other evidence happen to turn clear when IKI was added? If so, there is nothing in the rules that says you cannot use previously identified evidence to help identify other unknowns... Take a little of the remaining powder that turned the IKI clear and add it to that liquid that you are unsure if it is water or hydrogen peroxide, then add your iodine... which will turn clear because of the previously added powder... be patient... it may take several minutes, but if it is hydrogen peroxide, you will have absolutely no doubt...
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Birdmusic
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

dholdgreve wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:In terms of fibers, my partner and I are experiencing some difficulty. Since we must put animal, veg, or synthetic, is it possible for the ES to use some random fiber such as acetate or acrylic?

Also, tips for ID'ing between types as opposed to figuring out the specific fiber type?

Thank You!
yes,... along with polyester, rayon, spandex, and nylon... Now the good news... It's all synthetic... You do not need (and should not) try to identify the specific type of synthetic... Many E/Ss will count it wrong if you try to be too specific!
Will they deduct points if I put both the type (ie synthetic, animal, vegetable) as well as the specific type (ie nylon, silk, cotton)? (Like: cotton, vegetable)
I like birds.
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

They won't deduct but ur not gonna get anything extra unless its specifically stated at some invitational or something

tips for ID'ing between types as opposed to figuring out the specific fiber type?
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:They won't deduct but ur not gonna get anything extra unless its specifically stated at some invitational or something

tips for ID'ing between types as opposed to figuring out the specific fiber type?
Synthetic fibers melt and smells like burning plastic, animal fiber shrivels, smells like burning hair, and usually leaves black ashes, vegetable smells likes burning leaves or grass and just kinda burns and might leave whitish ashes.
I like birds.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

Birdmusic wrote:
dholdgreve wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:In terms of fibers, my partner and I are experiencing some difficulty. Since we must put animal, veg, or synthetic, is it possible for the ES to use some random fiber such as acetate or acrylic?

Also, tips for ID'ing between types as opposed to figuring out the specific fiber type?

Thank You!
yes,... along with polyester, rayon, spandex, and nylon... Now the good news... It's all synthetic... You do not need (and should not) try to identify the specific type of synthetic... Many E/Ss will count it wrong if you try to be too specific!
Will they deduct points if I put both the type (ie synthetic, animal, vegetable) as well as the specific type (ie nylon, silk, cotton)? (Like: cotton, vegetable)
You will not gain any points by identifying the specific synthetic, but may be marked wrong if you select the incorrect one... Why risk it?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

dholdgreve wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
dholdgreve wrote: yes,... along with polyester, rayon, spandex, and nylon... Now the good news... It's all synthetic... You do not need (and should not) try to identify the specific type of synthetic... Many E/Ss will count it wrong if you try to be too specific!
You will not gain any points by identifying the specific synthetic, but may be marked wrong if you select the incorrect one... Why risk it?
Thank you! I think I get it now! Also, what are nonspecific fibers?
I like birds.
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Birdmusic wrote:
dholdgreve wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
I suggest you read the rules before asking the same question over and over again... they explicitly state the 3 types of fibers you will need to identify.
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
dholdgreve wrote:
I suggest you read the rules before asking the same question over and over again... they explicitly state the 3 types of fibers you will need to identify.
The rules also say not specific, as well as the three types.
I like birds.
ScientistInTraining

Post by ScientistInTraining »

I am in crime busters, I haven't been able to find fibers without having to buy a new kit. Are they absolutely necessary to get them before my competition?
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

ScientistInTraining wrote:I am in crime busters, I haven't been able to find fibers without having to buy a new kit. Are they absolutely necessary to get them before my competition?
Probably not, the kit comes some fibers you can get in stores or online. You could also just watch videos of fiber burn tests (https://youtu.be/kb4tCcnA6jo) and look up information about fibers under a microscope so you can be familiar with them. However, it's probably best if you get your hands on some real ones and inspect them under a microscope and burn them if you haven't done that before.
I like birds.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”