Crime Busters B

knowthewrightstuff
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: January 2nd, 2018, 6:06 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Location: Orange County
Contact:

Conductivity meter

Postby knowthewrightstuff » January 16th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Does anyone know of a good conductivity meter that is allowed for Crime Busters?

User avatar
WhatScience?
Member
Member
Posts: 394
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Conductivity meter

Postby WhatScience? » January 16th, 2018, 1:02 pm

knowthewrightstuff wrote:Does anyone know of a good conductivity meter that is allowed for Crime Busters?

Ask your science teacher....I couldn't find a good one for a reasonable price...my teacher had a bunch in her closet

You ever use the things with the 9 volt and the 2 wires that make a sound???
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

Birdmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: October 22nd, 2017, 9:33 am
Division: B
State: CA
Location: In the Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby Birdmusic » January 20th, 2018, 10:21 am

Under the rules, it says you have to know the difference between plant, animal, and synthetic fibers. Do you have to be able to identify the specific type, like wool, silk, or rayon? Or is knowing whether it's animal, plant, or synthetic good enough?
Science is an art.
Art is a science.

2018 Results
Regionals/States
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby shrewdPanther46 » January 20th, 2018, 10:28 am

u only need animal plant and synthetic. Some competitions, they have asked for specific, so its good to know, but u really only need animal plant synthetic.
salty

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 531
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: B
State: ID
Location: Somewhere off studying
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby Tailsfan101 » January 20th, 2018, 11:45 am

Birdmusic wrote:Under the rules, it says you have to know the difference between plant, animal, and synthetic fibers. Do you have to be able to identify the specific type, like wool, silk, or rayon? Or is knowing whether it's animal, plant, or synthetic good enough?

The rules specify that the Crime Busters competitors need only to identify between synthetic, animal, and vegetable fibers. I believe that Forensics has their competitors identify the specific fiber, but this is not the same in Crime Busters.
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki (Division B)
2018
State/Nats
Crime: 1/35
Road: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

2017
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

2019 events: Road Scholar, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Heredity
Assassinator for game #118

Birdmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: October 22nd, 2017, 9:33 am
Division: B
State: CA
Location: In the Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby Birdmusic » January 20th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Under the rules, it says you have to know the difference between plant, animal, and synthetic fibers. Do you have to be able to identify the specific type, like wool, silk, or rayon? Or is knowing whether it's animal, plant, or synthetic good enough?

The rules specify that the Crime Busters competitors need only to identify between synthetic, animal, and vegetable fibers. I believe that Forensics has their competitors identify the specific fiber, but this is not the same in Crime Busters.

Thank you!
Science is an art.
Art is a science.

2018 Results
Regionals/States
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

Polarrr
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: October 12th, 2017, 7:47 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby Polarrr » January 20th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Birdmusic wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Under the rules, it says you have to know the difference between plant, animal, and synthetic fibers. Do you have to be able to identify the specific type, like wool, silk, or rayon? Or is knowing whether it's animal, plant, or synthetic good enough?

The rules specify that the Crime Busters competitors need only to identify between synthetic, animal, and vegetable fibers. I believe that Forensics has their competitors identify the specific fiber, but this is not the same in Crime Busters.

Thank you!


In the rules this year, it says that you don't need to know specifics. However, I do know that last year, many invitationals I saw tests for had sometimes asked for specifics, while others just asked for the general type. I feel that it all depends on the type of test proctor you get. Since not all of them follow the rules word for word, I suggest knowing the difference between specific fibers (nylon, polyester, cotton, linen, wool, silk) just in case, however, it really shouldn't be necessary if the test proctors follow the rules.

ngangal
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: February 8th, 2017, 11:40 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby ngangal » January 23rd, 2018, 9:41 am

My team is having trouble identifying the difference between Aluminum, Zinc and Tin. We do notice some fizz with Tin. However, hard to differentiate between Aluminum & Tin. Theoretically, Aluminum is supposed to have a delayed reaction with HCl but we could hardly notice any fizz even after long time. Only way to tell is based on shine but its very hard for kids to notice and depends on the sample. Any suggestions?

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby shrewdPanther46 » January 23rd, 2018, 10:32 am

Between aluminum and tin, it is generally fairly simple to recognize the distinctive yellowish tinge that tin possesses.
salty

ngangal
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: February 8th, 2017, 11:40 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby ngangal » January 23rd, 2018, 4:24 pm

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Between aluminum and tin, it is generally fairly simple to recognize the distinctive yellowish tinge that tin possesses.

Thanks

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 531
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: B
State: ID
Location: Somewhere off studying
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby Tailsfan101 » January 24th, 2018, 7:00 am

Also, zinc has a higher density and fizzes with HCl.
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki (Division B)
2018
State/Nats
Crime: 1/35
Road: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

2017
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

2019 events: Road Scholar, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Heredity
Assassinator for game #118

Benewcomb
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: October 28th, 2017, 5:16 am
Division: B
State: IN
Location: Hauser Jr Sr High School
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby Benewcomb » January 31st, 2018, 8:34 am

Would we have to know the difference between types of plastic? Because I haven’t gotten to check if we have that information in our binder.
All I have’s my honor, a tolerance for pain, a couple of college credits, and my top-notch brain.

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 531
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: B
State: ID
Location: Somewhere off studying
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby Tailsfan101 » January 31st, 2018, 2:04 pm

Benewcomb wrote:Would we have to know the difference between types of plastic? Because I haven’t gotten to check if we have that information in our binder.

Plastics you need to differentiate:
PETE
HDPE
PVC
LDPE
PP
PS
PMMA
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki (Division B)
2018
State/Nats
Crime: 1/35
Road: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

2017
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

2019 events: Road Scholar, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Heredity
Assassinator for game #118

Benewcomb
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: October 28th, 2017, 5:16 am
Division: B
State: IN
Location: Hauser Jr Sr High School
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby Benewcomb » January 31st, 2018, 3:28 pm

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Benewcomb wrote:Would we have to know the difference between types of plastic? Because I haven’t gotten to check if we have that information in our binder.

Plastics you need to differentiate:
PETE
HDPE
PVC
LDPE
PP
PS
PMMA


K thanks. I’m on it.
All I have’s my honor, a tolerance for pain, a couple of college credits, and my top-notch brain.

pandascienceolympiad
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: January 12th, 2018, 3:43 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby pandascienceolympiad » February 4th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Birdmusic wrote:Hi, I'm new to this event (and chemistry in general), so I have a couple of questions.

1) When my partner and I mixed iodine with flour mixed with water or cornstarch mixed with water, it didn't turn dark blue, any ideas why? We tried increasing the amount of water, flour/cornstarch, and iodine, but nothing happened still.

2) If one powder in a mixture dissolved and another didn't, how would you know? Wouldn't the water just be cloudy if one dissolved? Also, how would you know whether only one thing reacted with the HCl and iodine or both reacted?


1) Try to not mix the flour or cornstarch in water first. Also, your solutes and solvents might be old, try using newer ones.
2) Try looking at the mixture under a microscope first, and try and come up with possible powders it could be based on your results


Return to “2018 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest