Crime Busters B

knowthewrightstuff
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Conductivity meter

Post by knowthewrightstuff »

Does anyone know of a good conductivity meter that is allowed for Crime Busters?
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Conductivity meter

Post by WhatScience? »

knowthewrightstuff wrote:Does anyone know of a good conductivity meter that is allowed for Crime Busters?
Ask your science teacher....I couldn't find a good one for a reasonable price...my teacher had a bunch in her closet

You ever use the things with the 9 volt and the 2 wires that make a sound???
Birdmusic
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Birdmusic »

Under the rules, it says you have to know the difference between plant, animal, and synthetic fibers. Do you have to be able to identify the specific type, like wool, silk, or rayon? Or is knowing whether it's animal, plant, or synthetic good enough?
I like birds.
shrewdPanther46

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

u only need animal plant and synthetic. Some competitions, they have asked for specific, so its good to know, but u really only need animal plant synthetic.
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Birdmusic wrote:Under the rules, it says you have to know the difference between plant, animal, and synthetic fibers. Do you have to be able to identify the specific type, like wool, silk, or rayon? Or is knowing whether it's animal, plant, or synthetic good enough?
The rules specify that the Crime Busters competitors need only to identify between synthetic, animal, and vegetable fibers. I believe that Forensics has their competitors identify the specific fiber, but this is not the same in Crime Busters.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Birdmusic
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Under the rules, it says you have to know the difference between plant, animal, and synthetic fibers. Do you have to be able to identify the specific type, like wool, silk, or rayon? Or is knowing whether it's animal, plant, or synthetic good enough?
The rules specify that the Crime Busters competitors need only to identify between synthetic, animal, and vegetable fibers. I believe that Forensics has their competitors identify the specific fiber, but this is not the same in Crime Busters.
Thank you!
I like birds.
Polarrr

Post by Polarrr »

Birdmusic wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Thank you!
In the rules this year, it says that you don't need to know specifics. However, I do know that last year, many invitationals I saw tests for had sometimes asked for specifics, while others just asked for the general type. I feel that it all depends on the type of test proctor you get. Since not all of them follow the rules word for word, I suggest knowing the difference between specific fibers (nylon, polyester, cotton, linen, wool, silk) just in case, however, it really shouldn't be necessary if the test proctors follow the rules.
ngangal

Post by ngangal »

My team is having trouble identifying the difference between Aluminum, Zinc and Tin. We do notice some fizz with Tin. However, hard to differentiate between Aluminum & Tin. Theoretically, Aluminum is supposed to have a delayed reaction with HCl but we could hardly notice any fizz even after long time. Only way to tell is based on shine but its very hard for kids to notice and depends on the sample. Any suggestions?
shrewdPanther46

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Between aluminum and tin, it is generally fairly simple to recognize the distinctive yellowish tinge that tin possesses.
ngangal

Post by ngangal »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Between aluminum and tin, it is generally fairly simple to recognize the distinctive yellowish tinge that tin possesses.
Thanks

Return to “2018 Lab Events”