Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

dxu46 wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
dxu46 wrote: I would advise against making up data.
How would they know unless they see you not doing the experiment? What would you do in the case there are no outliers?
The Event Supervisors in Missouri watch us. If you don't have an outlier, don't write about it.
But it’s a rubric point right? So should i explicitly say “there were no unusual data points observed”
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
How would they know unless they see you not doing the experiment? What would you do in the case there are no outliers?
The Event Supervisors in Missouri watch us. If you don't have an outlier, don't write about it.
But it’s a rubric point right? So should i explicitly say “there were no unusual data points observed”
I think you would just write something about how well the data follows a trend. IDK because I don't do analysis.
mpnobivucyxtz

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

Are we allowed to use the materials we bring in as a part of the experiment? Like using the meterstick we bring in to make a ramp or something?
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Are we allowed to use the materials we bring in as a part of the experiment? Like using the meterstick we bring in to make a ramp or something?
I think so - we are allowed to use our own stopwatches, so why not metersticks?
kate!

Post by kate! »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Are we allowed to use the materials we bring in as a part of the experiment? Like using the meterstick we bring in to make a ramp or something?
Like the ES at my invitational said, if everyone else has one, you can use it. (In reference to taping something to a table, but you get the idea.)
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
MissAmargasaurus
Division: Grad
State: ID
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by MissAmargasaurus »

You can, but you need to use 2 of the materials provided as far as I remember.
2016-17: Expd, Invasive Species, Wind Power, Forenics
2017-18: Expd, Ecology, Herp
2018-19: Expd, Fossils, Herp, Wright Stuff
2019-20: Expd, Fossils, Ornith, Wright Stuff

TVHSOT captain of 2019-20. Finding your passion in events is the road to victory! I love ancient creatures & rocks. <3
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

MissAmargasaurus wrote:
It depends; you're allowed to bring certain materials in. A good kit to have ready should include the following: A ruler or two, some extra pencils, goggles, clipboards, a timer and a calculator. Your proctor might only allow some materials in, and the rest you should place elsewhere. A ramp is something I wouldn't bring to a competition.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
mpnobivucyxtz

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
MissAmargasaurus wrote:
It depends; you're allowed to bring certain materials in. A good kit to have ready should include the following: A ruler or two, some extra pencils, goggles, clipboards, a timer and a calculator. Your proctor might only allow some materials in, and the rest you should place elsewhere. A ramp is something I wouldn't bring to a competition.
Hey, I didn't mean bringing a ramp, I meant using what we brought in as a supplement to our experience. Like rolling things down our meterstick or dropping our pens to test gravity.
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:
MissAmargasaurus wrote:
Hey, I didn't mean bringing a ramp, I meant using what we brought in as a supplement to our experience. Like rolling things down our meterstick or dropping our pens to test gravity.
Oh I see what you mean. That situation you could likely get away with it. Sorry for the misconception!
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
SPP SciO
Division: B

Post by SPP SciO »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Oh I see what you mean. That situation you could likely get away with it. Sorry for the misconception!
Just keep in mind, you'll be tiered if you don't do an experiment related to the topic (4.f.) I would hope that most supervisors will provide adequate materials to test the topic, and using a meterstick as a ramp, or the stopwatch lanyard as a pendulum, may be going too far "outside the box" to adequately address the topic. It's not prohibited, but I wouldn't encourage that as Plan A. It does make for a good back-up plan though.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

Return to “2018 Lab Events”