dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by dxu46 »

TheChiScientist wrote:Do you guys use up all of your time on this event or do you have time to spare.I ask cuz we are always cutting it close while other teams leave early. :?:
It is perfectly okay to be working to the last minute. In fact, if you leave early, then you are probably missing something in your experiment. This is normally a very time-pressed event.
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

Anyone got an idea how the heck you break a 5 way tie when all the teams have a score of 120? I am in ISO and at state that is the most likely outcome as at least 4 teams have gotten a score of 120 (perfect score) consistently so I am curious to know. :? :?:
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

TheChiScientist wrote:Anyone got an idea how the heck you break a 5 way tie when all the teams have a score of 120? I am in ISO and at state that is the most likely outcome as at least 4 teams have gotten a score of 120 (perfect score) consistently so I am curious to know. :? :?:
Ties are based upon Variables, Procedure, Analysis of Results, Graph, and Data Table, so the person grading the experiment would probably go those sections again extra carefully and grade very harshly in order to prevent a tie.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
TheChiScientist

kate! wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Anyone got an idea how the heck you break a 5 way tie when all the teams have a score of 120? I am in ISO and at state that is the most likely outcome as at least 4 teams have gotten a score of 120 (perfect score) consistently so I am curious to know. :? :?:
Ties are based upon Variables, Procedure, Analysis of Results, Graph, and Data Table, so the person grading the experiment would probably go those sections again extra carefully and grade very harshly in order to prevent a tie.
I know that my coaches told me that they still got a score of 120 even under heavy scrutiny so I still don't know how the scoring went. :?
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
kate!

Post by kate! »

TheChiScientist wrote:
kate! wrote:
I know that my coaches told me that they still got a score of 120 even under heavy scrutiny so I still don't know how the scoring went. :?
In that case they should probably have gotten multiple people to grade each one because a 5-way tie means someone's going to get a 5th place medal even though they tied for first.
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
TheChiScientist

I guess so.So I was wondering what was the weirdest experiment you guys had to conduct. I had one with Ph and I though we were given mainly physics topics. :|
kate!

Post by kate! »

TheChiScientist wrote:I guess so.So I was wondering what was the weirdest experiment you guys had to conduct. I had one with Ph and I though we were given mainly physics topics. :|
The experiment i did at invitationals involved pennies and had to do with the elasticity of rubber bands. The experiments you get vary, but are usually physics based and sometimes chemistry based.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

TheChiScientist wrote:I guess so.So I was wondering what was the weirdest experiment you guys had to conduct. I had one with Ph and I though we were given mainly physics topics. :|
A sample topic our coach once gave us was the sense of touch, and we got 3 different colored pens and paper.
TheChiScientist

YIKES. :shock: How did that work out for you?
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Skink »

Insect experiments are fun but produce garbage data. Friction is pretty awful, too.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”