Experimental Design B/C

OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

y1008083 wrote:What formats do you just use?
It could just be me, but I don't know what you mean by format. Could you clarify please?
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
ellesbelles
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ellesbelles »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
y1008083 wrote:What formats do you just use?
It could just be me, but I don't know what you mean by format. Could you clarify please?
I think he/she meant to write "formula"
rajidinesh

Post by rajidinesh »

Is there a single example that is like a GOLDEN EXAMPLE for any given experiment ? Something that illustrates for a given experiment a 100% scoring on the given rubric ?

I am reading up a lot of forums, but a basic example sheet would be of great help. If anyone has an example from their event that scored high, even that could be useful as well.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

rajidinesh wrote:Is there a single example that is like a GOLDEN EXAMPLE for any given experiment ? Something that illustrates for a given experiment a 100% scoring on the given rubric ?

I am reading up a lot of forums, but a basic example sheet would be of great help. If anyone has an example from their event that scored high, even that could be useful as well.
The example that I typed on the wiki might be a start... can someone grade mine and fix it?
wiki here
I think it's right..
OrigamiPlanet

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

dxu46 wrote:
rajidinesh wrote:Is there a single example that is like a GOLDEN EXAMPLE for any given experiment ? Something that illustrates for a given experiment a 100% scoring on the given rubric ?

The example that I typed on the wiki might be a start... can someone grade mine and fix it?
wiki here
I think it's right..
Most of it appears fine to me, but maybe some parts just need a little more detail. If you want to secure the odds of getting the point(s), every detail will count. You might just be a few words off from it, so I'll put a little more bulk into some of those areas.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
mpnobivucyxtz
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

Hey guys! I have a couple of questions about the rubric. So for dependent and independent variable, is the dependent variable what you are measuring directly or is it something you can calculate? For example, let’s say we set up an experiment where we end up measuring the effect of drop height on height of ball bounce and our reason is, say, that the higher you drop it from, the greater the impulse sending it back up is. Would our dependent variable be “how does drop height affect bounce height” or “how does bounce height affect impulse”

We can only directly measure bounce height but we can calculate and graph both.

Also regarding sig figs, how would you format sig figs as follows: let’s say your data includes 9.34 seconds and 10.56 seconds. The former is three sig figs, the latter is 4, however, both are to the same degree of accuracy. What do we do in this case?

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by mpnobivucyxtz on January 22nd, 2018, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Hey guys! I have a couple of questions about the rubric. So for dependent and independent variable, is the dependent variable what you are measuring directly or is it something you can calculate? For example, let’s say we set up an experiment where we end up measuring the effect of drop height on height of ball bounce and our reason is, say, that the higher you drop it from, the greater the impulse is sending it back up is. Would our dependent variable be “how does drop height affect bounce height” or “how does bounce height affect impulse”

We can only directly measure bounce height but we can calculate and graph both.

Also regarding sig figs, how would you format sig figs as follows: let’s say your data includes 9.34 seconds and 10.56 seconds. The former is three sig figs, the latter is 4, however, both are to the same degree of accuracy. What do we do in this case?

Thank you for your help!
IV - what you change
DV - what you measure
So, your Statement of Problem would be "How does drop height affect rebound height?"
Sidenote - the experiment on the wiki is exactly what you are talking about.

Significant figures are the numbers after the decimal points, so I would say your above data would be in significant figures.
roadscholar11

Post by roadscholar11 »

Does anyone know how to do the "Other Ways to Look at Hypothesis" Section? It's not entirely clear...Thanks in advance!
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

roadscholar11 wrote:Does anyone know how to do the "Other Ways to Look at Hypothesis" Section? It's not entirely clear...Thanks in advance!
Can you provide a link?
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

When you do an experiment that involves changing the concentration, what are you IV levels? Molarity? Grams of solute? ratio of solute to solvent?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

Return to “2018 Lab Events”