Experimental Design B/C

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby dxu46 » March 12th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Do you guys use up all of your time on this event or do you have time to spare.I ask cuz we are always cutting it close while other teams leave early. :?:
It is perfectly okay to be working to the last minute. In fact, if you leave early, then you are probably missing something in your experiment. This is normally a very time-pressed event.

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » March 13th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Anyone got an idea how the heck you break a 5 way tie when all the teams have a score of 120? I am in ISO and at state that is the most likely outcome as at least 4 teams have gotten a score of 120 (perfect score) consistently so I am curious to know. :? :?:
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » March 13th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Anyone got an idea how the heck you break a 5 way tie when all the teams have a score of 120? I am in ISO and at state that is the most likely outcome as at least 4 teams have gotten a score of 120 (perfect score) consistently so I am curious to know. :? :?:
Ties are based upon Variables, Procedure, Analysis of Results, Graph, and Data Table, so the person grading the experiment would probably go those sections again extra carefully and grade very harshly in order to prevent a tie.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » March 14th, 2018, 10:18 am

Ties are based upon Variables, Procedure, Analysis of Results, Graph, and Data Table, so the person grading the experiment would probably go those sections again extra carefully and grade very harshly in order to prevent a tie.
I know that my coaches told me that they still got a score of 120 even under heavy scrutiny so I still don't know how the scoring went. :?

kate!

Postby kate! » March 14th, 2018, 3:17 pm

I know that my coaches told me that they still got a score of 120 even under heavy scrutiny so I still don't know how the scoring went. :?
In that case they should probably have gotten multiple people to grade each one because a 5-way tie means someone's going to get a 5th place medal even though they tied for first.
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » March 16th, 2018, 10:59 am

I guess so.So I was wondering what was the weirdest experiment you guys had to conduct. I had one with Ph and I though we were given mainly physics topics. :|

kate!

Postby kate! » March 16th, 2018, 11:53 am

I guess so.So I was wondering what was the weirdest experiment you guys had to conduct. I had one with Ph and I though we were given mainly physics topics. :|
The experiment i did at invitationals involved pennies and had to do with the elasticity of rubber bands. The experiments you get vary, but are usually physics based and sometimes chemistry based.

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » March 16th, 2018, 4:12 pm

A sample topic our coach once gave us was the sense of touch, and we got 3 different colored pens and paper.

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » March 16th, 2018, 5:24 pm

YIKES. :shock: How did that work out for you?

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Skink » March 17th, 2018, 6:40 am

Insect experiments are fun but produce garbage data. Friction is pretty awful, too.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”