Experimental Design B/C

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MO

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Postby dxu46 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:13 am

TheChiScientist wrote:Do you guys use up all of your time on this event or do you have time to spare.I ask cuz we are always cutting it close while other teams leave early. :?:

It is perfectly okay to be working to the last minute. In fact, if you leave early, then you are probably missing something in your experiment. This is normally a very time-pressed event.
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

TheChiScientist
Division: C
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:26 am

Anyone got an idea how the heck you break a 5 way tie when all the teams have a score of 120? I am in ISO and at state that is the most likely outcome as at least 4 teams have gotten a score of 120 (perfect score) consistently so I am curious to know. :? :?:
A Science Olympian from 2015 -To Present
Medal Count:21 8-)
Current Events
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design

Background In
Thermo, Exp Design, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Ecology, Fermi

School: Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120 ;)

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:50 am

TheChiScientist wrote:Anyone got an idea how the heck you break a 5 way tie when all the teams have a score of 120? I am in ISO and at state that is the most likely outcome as at least 4 teams have gotten a score of 120 (perfect score) consistently so I am curious to know. :? :?:

Ties are based upon Variables, Procedure, Analysis of Results, Graph, and Data Table, so the person grading the experiment would probably go those sections again extra carefully and grade very harshly in order to prevent a tie.
I know stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, weather, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm

kate! wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Anyone got an idea how the heck you break a 5 way tie when all the teams have a score of 120? I am in ISO and at state that is the most likely outcome as at least 4 teams have gotten a score of 120 (perfect score) consistently so I am curious to know. :? :?:

Ties are based upon Variables, Procedure, Analysis of Results, Graph, and Data Table, so the person grading the experiment would probably go those sections again extra carefully and grade very harshly in order to prevent a tie.

I know that my coaches told me that they still got a score of 120 even under heavy scrutiny so I still don't know how the scoring went. :?
Current Events

Background In
Thermo, Exp Design, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Ecology, Fermi

kate!

Postby kate! » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:17 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
kate! wrote:

I know that my coaches told me that they still got a score of 120 even under heavy scrutiny so I still don't know how the scoring went. :?

In that case they should probably have gotten multiple people to grade each one because a 5-way tie means someone's going to get a 5th place medal even though they tied for first.
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, weather, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:59 pm

I guess so.So I was wondering what was the weirdest experiment you guys had to conduct. I had one with Ph and I though we were given mainly physics topics. :|
Current Events

Background In

kate!

Postby kate! » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:53 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:I guess so.So I was wondering what was the weirdest experiment you guys had to conduct. I had one with Ph and I though we were given mainly physics topics. :|

The experiment i did at invitationals involved pennies and had to do with the elasticity of rubber bands. The experiments you get vary, but are usually physics based and sometimes chemistry based.

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dxu46 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:12 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:I guess so.So I was wondering what was the weirdest experiment you guys had to conduct. I had one with Ph and I though we were given mainly physics topics. :|

A sample topic our coach once gave us was the sense of touch, and we got 3 different colored pens and paper.
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar

Friend me here!

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:24 am

YIKES. :shock: How did that work out for you?
Current Events

Background In

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Skink » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Insect experiments are fun but produce garbage data. Friction is pretty awful, too.

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dxu46 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:36 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:YIKES. :shock: How did that work out for you?

If you're replying to me, it didn't. Our experiment loosely followed the topic, but our coach didn't count it.
Ladue Science Olympiad!

Friend me here!

MissAmargasaurus
State: ID

Postby MissAmargasaurus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Let's see, weirdest experiments...

* Haptics which ended up going quite well actually, and we've done it a few times successfully.

* The other day we had to do one on peripheral vision. Took us ages to come up with a statement of problem but it went fairly okay.

* Viscosity isn't exactly TOO weird, but it was still a heckuva hard experiment to pull off. One of our worst ones we've ever done.
2016-17 Season: Experimental Design, Invasive Species, Wind Power, Forenics
2017-2018 Season: Experimental Design, Ecology, Herpetology,
I love reptiles and fossils! <3

TheChiScientist

Postby TheChiScientist » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:30 am

MissAmargasaurus wrote:Let's see, weirdest experiments...

* Haptics which ended up going quite well actually, and we've done it a few times successfully.

* The other day we had to do one on peripheral vision. Took us ages to come up with a statement of problem but it went fairly okay.

* Viscosity isn't exactly TOO weird, but it was still a heckuva hard experiment to pull off. One of our worst ones we've ever done.

Oof same on that viscosity problem.Got us a score of 107 though ;)
Current Events

Background In

OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Postby OrigamiPlanet » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:37 am

Making parachutes was definitely annoying and something, especially when I had to do procedure then. The parachute making costed a lot of time and a lot of tape and measuring to get right, but we pulled it off even after we realized we weren't doing the topic correctly.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Specialties - For 2019
Exp. D. (Mostly 1st); Codebusters (Understand general codes); Dynamic Planet (Plate Tectonics mostly 7th+); Astronomy (Solar System in Div. B was top 3);

WIP Specialties
Geologic Mapping; Chem Lab

mymymy
State: -

Postby mymymy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:04 pm

How closely to lab attire do we have to dress? Like do we need close-toed shoes, goggles, lab coats, etc?

Return to “2018 Lab Events”