Division: Grad
State: WA

Fast Facts B

Postby bernard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 pm

Fast Facts Wiki
Fast Facts Test Exchange 2018
Past Threads: 2017
Past Question Marathons: 2017
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Fast Facts B

Postby NeilMehta » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Notable changes:
1. A perfect score of 250 must be possible on every board (not sure if this is good or bad)
2. Participants are provided writing utensils from proctors and cannot bring any materials of their own
my events tend to deal with really big or small things ..
so now i do fermi : ^)

Voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:44 am

NeilMehta wrote:1. A perfect score of 250 must be possible on every board (not sure if this is good or bad)

I'm being lazy by not looking at the rules right now, but doesn't that mean that they're not allowing blanks? That's bad.

OrigamiPlanet
Division: B
State: PA

Postby OrigamiPlanet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:20 am

Skink wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:1. A perfect score of 250 must be possible on every board (not sure if this is good or bad)

I'm being lazy by not looking at the rules right now, but doesn't that mean that they're not allowing blanks? That's bad.

If by that you mean leaving boxes blank, then no, they're probably going to allow blanks, and this would be a good thing. It would be especially helpful to be able to get points that others couldn't, rather than having everyone just not get the point at all.
Div. B - Cumberland Valley High School

2017 (Rustin/Little Tiger/Regionals/States)
DP (6/3/2/5) RFTS (4/5/1/4) R&M (4/-/1/3) Exp. D. (-/4/1/2)
2018 (Rustin)
DP (-) Exp. D. (1) Meteorology (7) Solar System (2)

NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby NeilMehta » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:04 am

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Skink wrote:

If by that you mean leaving boxes blank, then no, they're probably going to allow blanks, and this would be a good thing. It would be especially helpful to be able to get points that others couldn't, rather than having everyone just not get the point at all.

^
They're just making it so that it's possible to get a full board instead of before, when some boxes were unfillable

Voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

WhatScience?
State: NJ

Postby WhatScience? » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:05 pm

I do feel like this is a good thing so that competitors don't waste time on something that can not be answered. Plus, what is the point of a question you can not answer.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

Jesusfather123
State: -

Postby Jesusfather123 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:58 am

First time trying fast facts this year. How to prepare for this event? What are general topics they ask?

NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby NeilMehta » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:35 am

Jesusfather123 wrote:First time trying fast facts this year. How to prepare for this event? What are general topics they ask?

The event draws upon topics from pretty much every field of science, so it's very important to have a high level of general knowledge.
Common topics include:
-Human bones
-Scientific phenomena
-Stars
-Constellations
-Rocks/Minerals
-Physical properties
-Units of measurement
-Famous scientist
-Nobel prize winner for [science category]
-Programming languages
-Diseases
-Elements

This is just a short list, and there are countless possibilities for topics. Therefore, a good way to prepare is to prepare for all of your other study events in the first place, as those terms from other events can often show up in a fast facts test. In addition, one method is to come up with a chart with as many topics as possible, and to study the chart and try to memorize every single category. This event has an extremely high skill cap, so there's always room for practice and improvement.

SPP SciO

Postby SPP SciO » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Jesusfather123 wrote:First time trying fast facts this year. How to prepare for this event? What are general topics they ask?

Strategies - get some large index cards, make one for as many categories as you can. On the back, fill out A-Z as best you can. You'll always find ways to improve.

Also, do timed practice runs as frequently as you can. It's easy if you've got a stack of cards ready and you can randomly draw a few, and you can get creative with letter dice. If you shave off 30 seconds or a minute from the time allowed for a practice run, the extended time at the competition will feel luxurious.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

whovian11
State: -

Postby whovian11 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:43 pm

What is the most common topic you've seen?

OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Postby OrigamiPlanet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 pm

whovian11 wrote:What is the most common topic you've seen?

With what I've seen with "most common," the most frequent one that I keep noticing is "Famous Scientists."
This category has a few different rules than the other categories, as it not only asks for the first and surname, but it is the surname that must match with the letter. Say it is "F," you would put Enrico Fermi; although you have the first name in there as well, Fermi is the name that matters. However, some test makers prefer really specific topics while others go a little more broad, so it really just depends.
Div. B - Cumberland Valley High School

2017 (Rustin/Little Tiger/Regionals/States)
DP (6/3/2/5) RFTS (4/5/1/4) R&M (4/-/1/3) Exp. D. (-/4/1/2)
2018 (Rustin)
DP (-) Exp. D. (1) Meteorology (7) Solar System (2)

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: ID

Postby Tailsfan101 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 pm

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
whovian11 wrote:What is the most common topic you've seen?

With what I've seen with "most common," the most frequent one that I keep noticing is "Famous Scientists."
This category has a few different rules than the other categories, as it not only asks for the first and surname, but it is the surname that must match with the letter. Say it is "F," you would put Enrico Fermi; although you have the first name in there as well, Fermi is the name that matters. However, some test makers prefer really specific topics while others go a little more broad, so it really just depends.

Keep in mind that you will not receive points for just the last name. Say the letter is 'T'; you cannot simply put 'Tesla', you would have to put 'Nikola Tesla'.
Also, at both Idaho state and National competition, we have had the category of 'Female Scientists'. This just goes to show that categories can be rather vague, or very specific.
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki (Division B)
State/Nats
Crime: 1/35
Road: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

Hopeful 2019 events: Road Scholar, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Heredity
Assassinator for game #118

WhatScience?
State: NJ

Postby WhatScience? » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:02 am

Elements from the periodic table do tend to show up.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:13 am

WhatScience? wrote:Elements from the periodic table do tend to show up.

Which ones? Helium? Gold? Silver? Be specific.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby NeilMehta » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:02 am

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:Elements from the periodic table do tend to show up.

Which ones? Helium? Gold? Silver? Be specific.

Pretty much any element can show up...
I mean, every element does start with a letter. It matters more on what each competitor prefers to remember. For example, someone might rather remember Radium than Radon for R, but both are pretty valid
Last edited by NeilMehta on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lab Events”