State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Fast Facts B

Post by bernard »

Fast Facts Wiki
Fast Facts Test Exchange 2018
Past Threads: 2017
Past Question Marathons: 2017
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by NeilMehta »

Notable changes:
1. A perfect score of 250 must be possible on every board (not sure if this is good or bad)
2. Participants are provided writing utensils from proctors and cannot bring any materials of their own
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

NeilMehta wrote:1. A perfect score of 250 must be possible on every board (not sure if this is good or bad)
I'm being lazy by not looking at the rules right now, but doesn't that mean that they're not allowing blanks? That's bad.
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

Skink wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:1. A perfect score of 250 must be possible on every board (not sure if this is good or bad)
I'm being lazy by not looking at the rules right now, but doesn't that mean that they're not allowing blanks? That's bad.
If by that you mean leaving boxes blank, then no, they're probably going to allow blanks, and this would be a good thing. It would be especially helpful to be able to get points that others couldn't, rather than having everyone just not get the point at all.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Skink wrote:
If by that you mean leaving boxes blank, then no, they're probably going to allow blanks, and this would be a good thing. It would be especially helpful to be able to get points that others couldn't, rather than having everyone just not get the point at all.
^
They're just making it so that it's possible to get a full board instead of before, when some boxes were unfillable

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

I do feel like this is a good thing so that competitors don't waste time on something that can not be answered. Plus, what is the point of a question you can not answer.
Jesusfather123

Post by Jesusfather123 »

First time trying fast facts this year. How to prepare for this event? What are general topics they ask?
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

Jesusfather123 wrote:First time trying fast facts this year. How to prepare for this event? What are general topics they ask?
The event draws upon topics from pretty much every field of science, so it's very important to have a high level of general knowledge.
Common topics include:
-Human bones
-Scientific phenomena
-Stars
-Constellations
-Rocks/Minerals
-Physical properties
-Units of measurement
-Famous scientist
-Nobel prize winner for [science category]
-Programming languages
-Diseases
-Elements

This is just a short list, and there are countless possibilities for topics. Therefore, a good way to prepare is to prepare for all of your other study events in the first place, as those terms from other events can often show up in a fast facts test. In addition, one method is to come up with a chart with as many topics as possible, and to study the chart and try to memorize every single category. This event has an extremely high skill cap, so there's always room for practice and improvement.

SPP SciO
Division: B

Post by SPP SciO »

Jesusfather123 wrote:First time trying fast facts this year. How to prepare for this event? What are general topics they ask?
Strategies - get some large index cards, make one for as many categories as you can. On the back, fill out A-Z as best you can. You'll always find ways to improve.

Also, do timed practice runs as frequently as you can. It's easy if you've got a stack of cards ready and you can randomly draw a few, and you can get creative with letter dice. If you shave off 30 seconds or a minute from the time allowed for a practice run, the extended time at the competition will feel luxurious.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
whovian11

Post by whovian11 »

What is the most common topic you've seen?

Return to “2018 Lab Events”