Fast Facts B

Polarrr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by Polarrr »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
NinjaKat748 wrote:Does dinosaurs usually come up on tests?
It's very common. At my state test last year when I did Fast Facts, I distinctly remember "Dinosaurs" being a category. I think test writers look for categories that aren't way off the grid, and dinosaurs usually works well.
Not only on state, but it was also on the national test last year. However, comparing the tests from the invitationals from last year to this year, the categories seem exponentially harder. Probably means for tougher categories in future competitions, since it is the event's second year.
JionPark
Division: C

Post by JionPark »

Is Luna accepted as the Earth's moon?
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

JionPark wrote:Is Luna accepted as the Earth's moon?
I'm pretty sure that you have to use the English name. Luna is the Spanish name. In case you didn't know...
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

While technically Luna is sometimes used as a name for the Moon, I wouldn't say it's typically used that way in a scientific context. However, I suppose it's worth a try if you really need something and have no better options.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Does anyone know how not to get misgraded? I have tried using them widely known terms, but apparently Anthrax doesn’t count as bacteria A. I’ve had this problem for many invitationals and I’m beginning to believe that being misgraded is part of fast facts, but constantly feel like I would have placed higher. Does anyone have a solution?
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

In the case of your example, Anthrax isn't the name of the actual bacteria, but the name of the infection, so I don't think "Anthrax" would count for Bacteria A. Since we're talking about bacteria, you generally want the specific name of the bacteria. For example, Bacteria T - Treponema Pallidum
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

There are some diseases that are the same. For example, flu and influenza are considered the same. Which one would count for points?
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

JionPark wrote:There are some diseases that are the same. For example, flu and influenza are considered the same. Which one would count for points?
Depending on the supervisor/judge, both could probably count, but if they do, you can’t use them both in the same test. I usually use influenza for I and Fibromyalgia for F.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Anomaly wrote:In the case of your example, Anthrax isn't the name of the actual bacteria, but the name of the infection, so I don't think "Anthrax" would count for Bacteria A. Since we're talking about bacteria, you generally want the specific name of the bacteria. For example, Bacteria T - Treponema Pallidum
And, it's neither reasonable nor age appropriate to expect any teams to come up with T. pallidum. Bacteria is a terrible category. Well, if the category is "Bacteria" by itself, that's broad enough that everything from infections to cellular structure is fair game.

Re: flu versus influenza, I would avoid constructing the table to get those kinds of answers. I can't imagine too many people would design the table with "flu" as a valid answer, especially when it's a street name referring to various types of infections (in different parts of the body, at that).
Anika57

Post by Anika57 »

WhatScience? wrote:I do feel like this is a good thing so that competitors don't waste time on something that can not be answered. Plus, what is the point of a question you can not answer.
physics
If at first you don't succeed, try twice more so that your failure is statistically significant.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”