Fast Facts B

JionPark
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by JionPark »

chick-fil-a for life wrote:Does anyone know if you can use the same term in two different categories on the same grid?
e.g. Hooke's law under scientific laws and physics terms
I believe so....
I think it will be more easier to put the same term in different categories, only if it is related to those category.
Other than that, I don't really know. ;)
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

JionPark wrote:How can you make your own fast fact quiz?
You can make a 6x6 table into a Google Doc, adding letters and categories. Make sure that each category has one valid answer !! Once you're done, it would be really cool to upload to Scioly.org to help students learn and practice abt the event!
(Above, I believe I listed some common categories if you need a place to start looking for those)
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
weinhold

Post by weinhold »

Here's a word/google doc version with three quizzes per page Google Doc Sample Fast Facts Quiz

Here's what one of the quizzes looks like:

JionPark

Post by JionPark »

weinhold wrote:
Here's a word/google doc version with three quizzes per page Google Doc Sample Fast Facts Quiz

Here's what one of the quizzes looks like:

The real test????
Or just a practice quiz?
hgmsscienceolympiad

Post by hgmsscienceolympiad »

WhatScience? wrote:
hgmsscienceolympiad wrote:In addition to a perfect score of 250 being possible on each board (thus preventing lazy event prep), all categories are aligned with the College and Career Readiness Standards. If I understand that correctly, that's all middle school science standards (my district uses Next Generation Science Standards). Anyone have any insight in to this?
I wouldn't get too caught up in the parameters saying something should be easy....scioly is about going above and beyond.

Your response makes 0 sense given what I posted. The rule change was done to prevent event supervisors throwing their boards together at the last moment and making sure all boxes can have an answer. I am looking to start coming up with topics based on the science standards. I also know, since I am a coach and teacher, that different states are not CCSS aligned.
SPP SciO
Division: B

Post by SPP SciO »

hgmsscienceolympiad wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
hgmsscienceolympiad wrote:In addition to a perfect score of 250 being possible on each board (thus preventing lazy event prep), all categories are aligned with the College and Career Readiness Standards. If I understand that correctly, that's all middle school science standards (my district uses Next Generation Science Standards). Anyone have any insight in to this?
I wouldn't get too caught up in the parameters saying something should be easy....scioly is about going above and beyond.

Your response makes 0 sense given what I posted. The rule change was done to prevent event supervisors throwing their boards together at the last moment and making sure all boxes can have an answer. I am looking to start coming up with topics based on the science standards. I also know, since I am a coach and teacher, that different states are not CCSS aligned.
Where did you hear about the College & Career Readiness standards? I think that event supervisors have a LOT of leeway with rule 3a.i. "Grade appropriate" also takes into account that the typical Science Olympian competing in Fast Facts has an above-average science vocabulary. I'd imagine you'll see a mix of easy and challenging categories, and you can anticipate the tests becoming harder from regionals to states.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

SPP SciO wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:

Where did you hear about the College & Career Readiness standards? I think that event supervisors have a LOT of leeway with rule 3a.i. "Grade appropriate" also takes into account that the typical Science Olympian competing in Fast Facts has an above-average science vocabulary. I'd imagine you'll see a mix of easy and challenging categories, and you can anticipate the tests becoming harder from regionals to states.
This is what I meant...sorry for unclear wording. There are no specific topics. You can't just go in expecting everything on it to have been covered by 8th grade standards. There must be a possible answer but it could be about next to anything. I have seen some of the Fast Facts tests one of my friends took. Some are simple and others are obscure. Please don't say that I am making no sense. I am not just coming up with random responses you know.
hgmsscienceolympiad

Post by hgmsscienceolympiad »

WhatScience? wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:

This is what I meant...sorry for unclear wording. There are no specific topics. You can't just go in expecting everything on it to have been covered by 8th grade standards. There must be a possible answer but it could be about next to anything. I have seen some of the Fast Facts tests one of my friends took. Some are simple and others are obscure. Please don't say that I am making no sense. I am not just coming up with random responses you know.
Rule 3i states that "Categories will be age appropriate and aligned with grade level science standards." T Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that I CAN expect specific topics, or at least topics which are consistent with grades 6-9 level standards. Will they have some leeway? Absolutely. I'm not disputing that nor am I asking for a list of all possible categories. However, I wanted to know if anyone knew which science standards we could expect because different states consider themselves aligned with different specific grade level standards- some CCSS and some Next Gen standards.

I'm well aware, as someone who was on a state championship team, that the categories will become more rigorous from invitationals to regionals to states to nationals. That's not my question. I'm also not disputing that some categories may have obscure answers-that's a given. All I am asking is if anyone knew which grade level standards nationals would consider THE "grade level standards" referenced in rule 3i.

I'm perfectly well aware that you are not coming up with random responses and the words you are typing make sense with one another. However, you responses seem more geared toward some sort of justification that "Science Olympiad is hard" or "the point of Science Olympiad is to challenge you" instead of simply answering the question, which is "WHAT STANDARDS ARE NATIONALS USING PER RULE 3i?!"
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

WhatScience? wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
Rule 3i states that "Categories will be age appropriate and aligned with grade level science standards." T Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that I CAN expect specific topics, or at least topics which are consistent with grades 6-9 level standards. Will they have some leeway? Absolutely. I'm not disputing that nor am I asking for a list of all possible categories. However, I wanted to know if anyone knew which science standards we could expect because different states consider themselves aligned with different specific grade level standards- some CCSS and some Next Gen standards.

I'm well aware, as someone who was on a state championship team, that the categories will become more rigorous from invitationals to regionals to states to nationals. That's not my question. I'm also not disputing that some categories may have obscure answers-that's a given. All I am asking is if anyone knew which grade level standards nationals would consider THE "grade level standards" referenced in rule 3i.

I'm perfectly well aware that you are not coming up with random responses and the words you are typing make sense with one another. However, you responses seem more geared toward some sort of justification that "Science Olympiad is hard" or "the point of Science Olympiad is to challenge you" instead of simply answering the question, which is "WHAT STANDARDS ARE NATIONALS USING PER RULE 3i?!"
To (attempt to) answer the question, Science Olympiad often makes a point of their alignment to NGSS (or at least, they do so toward sponsor-types), so I figure those are a little more likely.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
SPP SciO
Division: B

Post by SPP SciO »

instead of simply answering the question, which is "WHAT STANDARDS ARE NATIONALS USING PER RULE 3i?!"
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... _ES_v3.pdf There's no mention of NGSS in the "official" guide for supervisors so I wouldn't put much stake in it. But it's a good place as any to start looking for category ideas. Maybe you can email your state director for more state-specific information?

I know rule 3.a.i. says "aligned with grade level standards" but I strongly believe the intent is not "Standards-with-a-capital-s" - Anything a student would reasonably encounter in school is fair game. For example, I'd think "Physics Nobel Prize Winners" would be an appropriate category for a state test, but, I'm not sure where exactly that would be covered in a book of standards.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

Return to “2018 Lab Events”