Fast Facts B

Polarrr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by Polarrr »

jimmy-bond wrote:So at a competition, I got "Scientists Before the 1900s" as one of my categories. For C, my partner and I put "Marie Curie", who was born in 1867 and died in 1934. Since she did most of her work in the 1900s, would she count as a valid answer in that category?
I would probably ask the proctor what they meant by that category for clarification. I would assume they meant born before 1900, but they may mean by their scientific discovery. I would assume that's correct.
Full Power

Post by Full Power »

jimmy-bond wrote:So at a competition, I got "Scientists Before the 1900s" as one of my categories. For C, my partner and I put "Marie Curie", who was born in 1867 and died in 1934. Since she did most of her work in the 1900s, would she count as a valid answer in that category?
Since she was doing scientific work by 1900, she should have been an acceptable answer.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

At some competitions I've received the category Taxonomic Ranks, and I wrote down actual categories (such as Anneledia, Brachiopeda, etc) and got it wrong. (They wanted the words family, genus,etc. instead of the actual categories). Would the test have been misgraded, or did I just get it wrong?
jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

JoeyC wrote:At some competitions I've received the category Taxonomic Ranks, and I wrote down actual categories (such as Anneledia, Brachiopeda, etc) and got it wrong. (They wanted the words family, genus,etc. instead of the actual categories). Would the test have been misgraded, or did I just get it wrong?
Sounds like they wanted class and genus and such. If they were looking for specific ranks, they probably would've made the category straightforward like "Genera".
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

MattChina wrote:
vehicleguy wrote:I may be in this event and regionals is in less than 2 weeks. What are the most important topics to cover?
They use a lot of topics from other events such as Herpetology, so study terms from other events. In general, I think the most important topics are the ones that are already events
Dear any event supervisors reading this, don't do this! It's so easy to unfairly favor people in specific events over others. R&M folks have an advantage, for example...
Almandine
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

Fellas, would alternate star names like Al Athfar be an acceptable answer? Also, would broad terms like Andromeda, which many stars have in their names, be also acceptable?
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

Almandine wrote:Fellas, would alternate star names like Al Athfar be an acceptable answer? Also, would broad terms like Andromeda, which many stars have in their names, be also acceptable?
I guess Al Athfar would be allowed, but who knows if there's going to be a category on alternate stars?
To your second question, I think Andromeda would have to be used specifically, because Andromeda is also a galaxy. For an example, Beta Andromedae would probably fit in 'B' , because of Beta.
Almandine

Post by Almandine »

I meant Al Athfar as in the category stars. Stars can have multiple names, and this is one of them.
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

Almandine wrote:I meant Al Athfar as in the category stars. Stars can have multiple names, and this is one of them.
Use the english name of this star just in case.
Almandine

Post by Almandine »

Fellas, Rotavirus be an acceptable answer under the category microbes?

Return to “2018 Lab Events”