Fast Facts B

WhatScience?
Division: B
State: NJ

Re: Fast Facts B

Postby WhatScience? » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:25 pm

I mean that the topic is elements of the periodic table and they give letter. You have to put in an element that starts with that letter.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

chick-fil-a for life
Division: C
State: CA

Postby chick-fil-a for life » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:12 am

What are some strategies for this event to try to maximize the amount of points?
i like the four piece chicken strips, with waffle fries and a cookies and cream milkshake at chick-fil-a.

NeilMehta
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby NeilMehta » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 pm

chick-fil-a for life wrote:What are some strategies for this event to try to maximize the amount of points?

Main strategy is to prioritize filling rows and columns over random boxes.
For example, this first grid only yields 10 points for 5 terms, while the second box yields 30:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/10Ou ... sp=sharing
my events tend to deal with really big or small things ..
so now i do fermi : ^)

Voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Polarrr
State: -

Postby Polarrr » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:10 am

chick-fil-a for life wrote:What are some strategies for this event to try to maximize the amount of points?

I would say a notable strategy, as in almost every other event, is to guess if you don't know the answer. Remember, you won't be penalized for guessing, and you may even get the right answer. ;)

alip26
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby alip26 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:00 am

Many topics that come up during Fast Facts come from other events. That being said, taking study events such as A&P and Solar System may help.

hgmsscienceolympiad

Postby hgmsscienceolympiad » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 pm

In addition to a perfect score of 250 being possible on each board (thus preventing lazy event prep), all categories are aligned with the College and Career Readiness Standards. If I understand that correctly, that's all middle school science standards (my district uses Next Generation Science Standards). Anyone have any insight in to this?

weinhold

Postby weinhold » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:12 pm

The rules say each round is 5 minutes, but many of the examples (including 2018) say a round is 6 minutes. Does anyone know for certain?

Lisa

Postby Lisa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Hello, I am doing my second year in fast facts and I would love some study tips and or help. Please respond when you can or as soon as possible. if you have tips or help because February gets closer every day!
Thanks!
Lisa

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:48 am

hgmsscienceolympiad wrote:In addition to a perfect score of 250 being possible on each board (thus preventing lazy event prep), all categories are aligned with the College and Career Readiness Standards. If I understand that correctly, that's all middle school science standards (my district uses Next Generation Science Standards). Anyone have any insight in to this?

I wouldn't get too caught up in the parameters saying something should be easy....scioly is about going above and beyond.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:49 am

Lisa wrote:Hello, I am doing my second year in fast facts and I would love some study tips and or help. Please respond when you can or as soon as possible. if you have tips or help because February gets closer every day!
Thanks!
Lisa

Honestly, make tests and trade them with others. Looking for a place to trade then check our the site random human made and posted on the general chat. http://sciolytestexchange.freeforums.net/

There are none in the test exchange as nobody actively makes these tests to share but I do have three I can trade with you.

Events 2018

pikachu4919
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!] // H-Town! --> Philly

Postby pikachu4919 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:53 am

WhatScience? wrote:
Lisa wrote:Hello, I am doing my second year in fast facts and I would love some study tips and or help. Please respond when you can or as soon as possible. if you have tips or help because February gets closer every day!
Thanks!
Lisa

Honestly, make tests and trade them with others. Looking for a place to trade then check our the site random human made and posted on the general chat. http://sciolytestexchange.freeforums.net/

There are none in the test exchange as nobody actively makes these tests to share but I do have three I can trade with you.

Well, it's such a new event since they just started it last year, so of course there aren't that many tests out there for it.

Also @Lisa, if you don't have anything to trade, don't worry too much about it, as there are plenty of users on this site that I'm sure could offer free help without asking for anything in return. Personally, I've never done this event, and I'm an alum so I never will; thus, I don't think I'm one of those users that could help specifically, but I'm sure there are several others. I could definitely try my best to offer some help if no one else is willing to, though.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue Biological Engineering '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics :D

"I know that greatness lies in you."
"I AM NOT THROWING AWAY MY SHOT!"
- Hamilton

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
MIT and Princeton 2018 Forensics Supervisor
Assassinator #113

Entomology

Postby Entomology » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:00 am

Thanks!
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I would recommend looking at the following:

Fast Facts Tests
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2018_ ... Fast_Facts
Fast Facts Wiki
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Fast_Facts
Fast Facts Question Marathon
viewtopic.php?f=266&t=10916

Like pika said above, there are also plenty of users on scioly.org that would be more than happy to help! Just ask on IRC or in a forum like this :)
CCA '20 Captain
2019 Projected Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Sounds of Music, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Mousetrap Vehicle

chick-fil-a for life

Postby chick-fil-a for life » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:16 am

Does anyone know if you can use the same term in two different categories on the same grid?
e.g. Hooke's law under scientific laws and physics terms
i like the four piece chicken strips, with waffle fries and a cookies and cream milkshake at chick-fil-a.

JionPark
State: IL

Postby JionPark » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:30 am

NeilMehta wrote:
Jesusfather123 wrote:First time trying fast facts this year. How to prepare for this event? What are general topics they ask?

The event draws upon topics from pretty much every field of science, so it's very important to have a high level of general knowledge.
Common topics include:
-Human bones
-Scientific phenomena
-Stars
-Constellations
-Rocks/Minerals
-Physical properties
-Units of measurement
-Famous scientist
-Nobel prize winner for [science category]
-Programming languages
-Diseases
-Elements

This is just a short list, and there are countless possibilities for topics. Therefore, a good way to prepare is to prepare for all of your other study events in the first place, as those terms from other events can often show up in a fast facts test. In addition, one method is to come up with a chart with as many topics as possible, and to study the chart and try to memorize every single category. This event has an extremely high skill cap, so there's always room for practice and improvement.

Thanks for the advice!
Events:
2016: Crave the Wave, Mission Possible, and Invasive Species (1,?,?)
2017: Experimental Design, Mission Possible, and Fast Facts (R.I.P)
2018: Herpetology, Solar System, Fast Facts, and Roller Coaster (3,2,1,2)
2019: Water Quality, Code Busters

Medal Count:
5 Medals :o

JionPark
State: IL

Postby JionPark » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:31 am

How can you make your own fast fact quiz?
Events:
2016: Crave the Wave, Mission Possible, and Invasive Species (1,?,?)
2017: Experimental Design, Mission Possible, and Fast Facts (R.I.P)
2018: Herpetology, Solar System, Fast Facts, and Roller Coaster (3,2,1,2)
2019: Water Quality, Code Busters

Medal Count:
5 Medals :o

Return to “Lab Events”