Fast Facts B

JionPark
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Fast Facts B

Postby JionPark » November 4th, 2017, 6:45 pm

chick-fil-a for life wrote:Does anyone know if you can use the same term in two different categories on the same grid?
e.g. Hooke's law under scientific laws and physics terms

I believe so....
I think it will be more easier to put the same term in different categories, only if it is related to those category.
Other than that, I don't really know. ;)

NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: NY

Postby NeilMehta » November 4th, 2017, 9:23 pm

JionPark wrote:How can you make your own fast fact quiz?

You can make a 6x6 table into a Google Doc, adding letters and categories. Make sure that each category has one valid answer !! Once you're done, it would be really cool to upload to Scioly.org to help students learn and practice abt the event!
(Above, I believe I listed some common categories if you need a place to start looking for those)
my events tend to deal with really big or small things ..
so now i do fermi : ^)

Voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

weinhold
State: -

Postby weinhold » November 7th, 2017, 9:07 am

Here's a word/google doc version with three quizzes per page Google Doc Sample Fast Facts Quiz

Here's what one of the quizzes looks like:

JionPark
State: IL

Postby JionPark » November 7th, 2017, 4:37 pm

weinhold wrote:

Here's a word/google doc version with three quizzes per page Google Doc Sample Fast Facts Quiz

Here's what one of the quizzes looks like:

The real test????
Or just a practice quiz?

hgmsscienceolympiad

Postby hgmsscienceolympiad » November 13th, 2017, 9:51 am

WhatScience? wrote:
hgmsscienceolympiad wrote:In addition to a perfect score of 250 being possible on each board (thus preventing lazy event prep), all categories are aligned with the College and Career Readiness Standards. If I understand that correctly, that's all middle school science standards (my district uses Next Generation Science Standards). Anyone have any insight in to this?

I wouldn't get too caught up in the parameters saying something should be easy....scioly is about going above and beyond.

Your response makes 0 sense given what I posted. The rule change was done to prevent event supervisors throwing their boards together at the last moment and making sure all boxes can have an answer. I am looking to start coming up with topics based on the science standards. I also know, since I am a coach and teacher, that different states are not CCSS aligned.

SPP SciO
Division: B

Postby SPP SciO » November 13th, 2017, 11:13 am

hgmsscienceolympiad wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
hgmsscienceolympiad wrote:In addition to a perfect score of 250 being possible on each board (thus preventing lazy event prep), all categories are aligned with the College and Career Readiness Standards. If I understand that correctly, that's all middle school science standards (my district uses Next Generation Science Standards). Anyone have any insight in to this?

I wouldn't get too caught up in the parameters saying something should be easy....scioly is about going above and beyond.

Your response makes 0 sense given what I posted. The rule change was done to prevent event supervisors throwing their boards together at the last moment and making sure all boxes can have an answer. I am looking to start coming up with topics based on the science standards. I also know, since I am a coach and teacher, that different states are not CCSS aligned.

Where did you hear about the College & Career Readiness standards? I think that event supervisors have a LOT of leeway with rule 3a.i. "Grade appropriate" also takes into account that the typical Science Olympian competing in Fast Facts has an above-average science vocabulary. I'd imagine you'll see a mix of easy and challenging categories, and you can anticipate the tests becoming harder from regionals to states.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

WhatScience?
State: NJ

Postby WhatScience? » November 13th, 2017, 2:35 pm

SPP SciO wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:

Where did you hear about the College & Career Readiness standards? I think that event supervisors have a LOT of leeway with rule 3a.i. "Grade appropriate" also takes into account that the typical Science Olympian competing in Fast Facts has an above-average science vocabulary. I'd imagine you'll see a mix of easy and challenging categories, and you can anticipate the tests becoming harder from regionals to states.

This is what I meant...sorry for unclear wording. There are no specific topics. You can't just go in expecting everything on it to have been covered by 8th grade standards. There must be a possible answer but it could be about next to anything. I have seen some of the Fast Facts tests one of my friends took. Some are simple and others are obscure. Please don't say that I am making no sense. I am not just coming up with random responses you know.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

hgmsscienceolympiad

Postby hgmsscienceolympiad » November 14th, 2017, 6:19 am

WhatScience? wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:

This is what I meant...sorry for unclear wording. There are no specific topics. You can't just go in expecting everything on it to have been covered by 8th grade standards. There must be a possible answer but it could be about next to anything. I have seen some of the Fast Facts tests one of my friends took. Some are simple and others are obscure. Please don't say that I am making no sense. I am not just coming up with random responses you know.

Rule 3i states that "Categories will be age appropriate and aligned with grade level science standards." T Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that I CAN expect specific topics, or at least topics which are consistent with grades 6-9 level standards. Will they have some leeway? Absolutely. I'm not disputing that nor am I asking for a list of all possible categories. However, I wanted to know if anyone knew which science standards we could expect because different states consider themselves aligned with different specific grade level standards- some CCSS and some Next Gen standards.

I'm well aware, as someone who was on a state championship team, that the categories will become more rigorous from invitationals to regionals to states to nationals. That's not my question. I'm also not disputing that some categories may have obscure answers-that's a given. All I am asking is if anyone knew which grade level standards nationals would consider THE "grade level standards" referenced in rule 3i.

I'm perfectly well aware that you are not coming up with random responses and the words you are typing make sense with one another. However, you responses seem more geared toward some sort of justification that "Science Olympiad is hard" or "the point of Science Olympiad is to challenge you" instead of simply answering the question, which is "WHAT STANDARDS ARE NATIONALS USING PER RULE 3i?!"

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » November 14th, 2017, 6:53 am

WhatScience? wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:

Rule 3i states that "Categories will be age appropriate and aligned with grade level science standards." T Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that I CAN expect specific topics, or at least topics which are consistent with grades 6-9 level standards. Will they have some leeway? Absolutely. I'm not disputing that nor am I asking for a list of all possible categories. However, I wanted to know if anyone knew which science standards we could expect because different states consider themselves aligned with different specific grade level standards- some CCSS and some Next Gen standards.

I'm well aware, as someone who was on a state championship team, that the categories will become more rigorous from invitationals to regionals to states to nationals. That's not my question. I'm also not disputing that some categories may have obscure answers-that's a given. All I am asking is if anyone knew which grade level standards nationals would consider THE "grade level standards" referenced in rule 3i.

I'm perfectly well aware that you are not coming up with random responses and the words you are typing make sense with one another. However, you responses seem more geared toward some sort of justification that "Science Olympiad is hard" or "the point of Science Olympiad is to challenge you" instead of simply answering the question, which is "WHAT STANDARDS ARE NATIONALS USING PER RULE 3i?!"

To (attempt to) answer the question, Science Olympiad often makes a point of their alignment to NGSS (or at least, they do so toward sponsor-types), so I figure those are a little more likely.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

SPP SciO
Division: B

Postby SPP SciO » November 14th, 2017, 7:53 am

instead of simply answering the question, which is "WHAT STANDARDS ARE NATIONALS USING PER RULE 3i?!"

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... _ES_v3.pdf There's no mention of NGSS in the "official" guide for supervisors so I wouldn't put much stake in it. But it's a good place as any to start looking for category ideas. Maybe you can email your state director for more state-specific information?

I know rule 3.a.i. says "aligned with grade level standards" but I strongly believe the intent is not "Standards-with-a-capital-s" - Anything a student would reasonably encounter in school is fair game. For example, I'd think "Physics Nobel Prize Winners" would be an appropriate category for a state test, but, I'm not sure where exactly that would be covered in a book of standards.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

hgmsscienceolympiad

Postby hgmsscienceolympiad » November 14th, 2017, 11:42 am

Unome wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:

To (attempt to) answer the question, Science Olympiad often makes a point of their alignment to NGSS (or at least, they do so toward sponsor-types), so I figure those are a little more likely.

Thank you, Unome! That's all I needed. Next Generation Science Standards it is.

And yes, I am aware that the standards have some latitude for interpretation. It's the joy of being a teacher; however, knowing which standards to start with provides a great starting point from which to grow.

hgmsscienceolympiad

Postby hgmsscienceolympiad » December 7th, 2017, 11:11 am

What are some possible topics you all have come up with? While I realize that we cannot hope to make THE definitive list, it wouldn't hurt to at least share ideas of what we might see.

After combing through the Next Gen Science Standards for grades 6-9 and discussing their implications with two science teachers who teach multiple grades, this is what we have so far:

Matter
Atomic Properties
Molecular Properties
Chemistry (chemical traits, physical traits, etc.)
Physics (laws of physics are key parts of the NGSS)
Forces (falls within physics, yes, but doesn't hurt to be its own area)
Energy
Metric system
Ecology
Heredity
Genetics
Evolution
Microorganisms/Microbiology
Cell theory
Plants/Agronomy/Botany
Biodiversity (not otherwise included in other areas)
Geology (Earth Science per NGSS language)
Astronomy (Space Science per NGSS language)

As stated, I know we cannot hope to make THE list, and I am aware that many of these areas can be broken down into sub areas, so let's go: see how many possible lists we can think up.

Hartman

Postby Hartman » December 14th, 2017, 6:15 pm

hgmsscienceolympiad wrote:What are some possible topics you all have come up with? While I realize that we cannot hope to make THE definitive list, it wouldn't hurt to at least share ideas of what we might see.

After combing through the Next Gen Science Standards for grades 6-9 and discussing their implications with two science teachers who teach multiple grades, this is what we have so far:

Matter
Atomic Properties
Molecular Properties
Energy
Metric system
Ecology
Heredity
Genetics
Evolution
Cell theory
Plants/Agronomy/Botany

As stated, I know we cannot hope to make THE list, and I am aware that many of these areas can be broken down into sub areas, so let's go: see how many possible lists we can think up.

The ones that I did mostly just ripped off of a lot of study events in science olympiad

OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Postby OrigamiPlanet » December 17th, 2017, 2:09 pm

hgmsscienceolympiad wrote:What are some possible topics you all have come up with? While I realize that we cannot hope to make THE definitive list, it wouldn't hurt to at least share ideas of what we might see.

Matter
Atomic Properties
Molecular Properties
Energy
Metric system
Ecology
Heredity
Genetics
Evolution
Cell theory
Plants/Agronomy/Botany

These categories are very broad, and I know test makers LOVE to use subcategories instead. You might want to know your taxonomy, geologic time periods, optics, biological processes, specific rocks, minerals, animals and plants, plate tectonics and anything of the sort, periodic table of elements and definitely SCIENTISTS. For scientists though, it's the surname that counts for the letter, not the first name, but that doesn't allow you to disregard the first name entirely. Normally I see it that you need both parts to earn the points for it. There's many more subcategories I can think of, but from what I've seen when I did this event, those appear more often than others.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Main Events For 2019
Exp. D.; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet; Astronomy;

WIP Specialties (No previous background whatsoever)
Geologic Mapping; Chem Lab

Email me for anything!

MINorth

Fast Facts B - Are these allowed answers for Engineering Design Terms ?

Postby MINorth » December 20th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Category Engineering Design Terms

B Blueprinting
D Design / Dynamics
G Gravitational / Geometry
M Mach number / Mechanical
T Tensile / Temperature

Return to “2018 Lab Events”