Forensics C

AMAZHANG
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by AMAZHANG »

At a tournament, if I am given hair samples in a bag, not in a microscope slide, how should I go about trying to figure out what it is?
Ward Melville High School '20
2018-2019: Exp. Design, Forensics, Herpetology, Protein Modeling
2019-2020: Exp. Design, Forensics, Codebusters
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

AMAZHANG wrote:At a tournament, if I am given hair samples in a bag, not in a microscope slide, how should I go about trying to figure out what it is?
The rules allow competitors to bring microscope slides and cover slips, which mostly indicates that the competitors technically should be making their own slides at competition with the hairs provided (unless given microscope images which is 1000x less fun than actually trying to ID it :P )
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
AMAZHANG

Post by AMAZHANG »

pikachu4919 wrote:
AMAZHANG wrote:At a tournament, if I am given hair samples in a bag, not in a microscope slide, how should I go about trying to figure out what it is?
The rules allow competitors to bring microscope slides and cover slips, which mostly indicates that the competitors technically should be making their own slides at competition with the hairs provided (unless given microscope images which is 1000x less fun than actually trying to ID it :P )
Ohhh, I see. I was leaning towards that option but since I have to do the analysis, polymers, etc.. I was wondering if there was a quicker way. I guess not lol, thanks so much!
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

AMAZHANG wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
Ohhh, I see. I was leaning towards that option but since I have to do the analysis, polymers, etc.. I was wondering if there was a quicker way. I guess not lol, thanks so much!
I remember when I competed, by the time I was reaching my third/fourth year competing in forensics, I just accepted that most microscopes are not going to be top-notch and started relying on gut intuition to guess the hairs based on what I knew about the characteristics of the animal :P it’s a time saver for sure, especially when some other sections are worth more points that you could get more easily
Carmel HS (IN) '16

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
alylam
State: OH

Post by alylam »

This is a little off topic from the discussion above, but does anyone know where invites get the samples they use in the plastics/polymers section? Like specifically the pellets/beads? We've been trying to look for them for forever lol
If you think you're going to crash then storm your feet harder

MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
AMAZHANG

Post by AMAZHANG »

alylam wrote:This is a little off topic from the discussion above, but does anyone know where invites get the samples they use in the plastics/polymers section? Like specifically the pellets/beads? We've been trying to look for them for forever lol

I know Ward's Science sells kits specifically for Science Olympiad. Here's the link for Forensics: https://wardsci.com/store/catalog/produ ... 470231-372 It says it includes the polymers in the description. Hope that helps!
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Those kits are ripoff for the price, just throwing it out there
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

AMAZHANG wrote:
alylam wrote:This is a little off topic from the discussion above, but does anyone know where invites get the samples they use in the plastics/polymers section? Like specifically the pellets/beads? We've been trying to look for them for forever lol

I know Ward's Science sells kits specifically for Science Olympiad. Here's the link for Forensics: https://wardsci.com/store/catalog/produ ... 470231-372 It says it includes the polymers in the description. Hope that helps!
The ones in the Ward's Science kits are 2" x 2" cubes tho, not the tiny pellets that you usually see.

Lol Ward's products are kinda overpriced and overrated imo...
Carmel HS (IN) '16

MY CABBAGES!
AMAZHANG

Post by AMAZHANG »

pikachu4919 wrote:
AMAZHANG wrote:

The ones in the Ward's Science kits are 2" x 2" cubes tho, not the tiny pellets that you usually see.

Lol Ward's products are kinda overpriced and overrated imo...
Haha I agree about the price, oh I wasn't sure if it was cubes or whatnot. I know my junior high always had the pellets that you would see in competition but I don't know where they're from rip
d4dd7y00n
State: GA

Post by d4dd7y00n »

For seeds and pollen, where do I find information about seeds/pollen from different country regions? They asked a question about this in one of the past invitationals, but I was not able to find information on this anywhere :cry:

Return to “2018 Lab Events”