Division: Grad
State: MD

Re: Forensics C

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » January 4th, 2018, 6:48 am

pikachu4919 wrote:
depo1213 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
What do you mean by appendices?

I mean like where they refer to an apendix in a question and then you have to go into the back of the book to look for Appendix A or B.

For example the questions could be like determine the fibers. Fibers can be found in Appendix A. So you have to go to the back of the booklet for find it.

Huh, I've never taken a test that has done that...

I've taken Astro tests that do that. It can be a little disorienting, but if the test proctor allows you to detach pages from the booklet, I'd definitely recommend you do that. It's a good general science skill to be able to get data from an external reference and use it to answer a question.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

pikachu4919
State: IN

Postby pikachu4919 » January 8th, 2018, 8:17 pm

WhatScience? wrote:Why would you even want to touch the dead body of an animal?

Because examining deaths are a thing in forensics, in both the SciOly event and real life. :P

After all...
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Stefannli
Division: C
State: DE

Postby Stefannli » January 9th, 2018, 7:54 am

Can anyone please explain HOW to determine the molecular formula of this mass spec? Thanks! Image

d4dd7y00n
State: GA

Postby d4dd7y00n » January 11th, 2018, 5:18 am

Stefannli wrote:Can anyone please explain HOW to determine the molecular formula of this mass spec? Thanks! Image

The peak on the rightmost side is tells you the molar mass of the molecular formula. You see that the rightmost peak is around m/e of ~46, which corresponds to the molar mass of the ethanol

Stefannli

Postby Stefannli » January 11th, 2018, 12:36 pm

d4dd7y00n wrote:
Stefannli wrote:Can anyone please explain HOW to determine the molecular formula of this mass spec? Thanks! Image

The peak on the rightmost side is tells you the molar mass of the molecular formula. You see that the rightmost peak is around m/e of ~46, which corresponds to the molar mass of the ethanol

I was asking for the molecular formula, not the molar mass. Sorry for any confusion.

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » January 13th, 2018, 5:22 am

Stefannli wrote:
d4dd7y00n wrote:
Stefannli wrote:Can anyone please explain HOW to determine the molecular formula of this mass spec? Thanks!

I was asking for the molecular formula, not the molar mass. Sorry for any confusion.

Usually the molecules used for these are taken from a list of carbohydrates; find a list for this and match the molecular weight to the carbohydrate.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Panda Weasley
State: -

Postby Panda Weasley » January 18th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Have yall ever had to determine the direction of impact for glass?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

Stefannli

Postby Stefannli » January 20th, 2018, 7:06 am

Are Bunsen burners and hot water baths usually provided in invitational competitions such as Princeton?

pikachu4919

Postby pikachu4919 » January 20th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Stefannli wrote:Are Bunsen burners and hot water baths usually provided in invitational competitions such as Princeton?

They should be. That's on the event supervisor.

Panda Weasley wrote:Have yall ever had to determine the direction of impact for glass?

I've personally never seen it on any tests I've taken, nor have I used it yet on tests that I've written. I think the reason why would be that maybe supervisors don't wanna write a problem for it or a lot of the images may not be able to show much detail of the impact spot beyond the spot where it hit and the resulting cracks surrounding it.

Thanks for the idea tho, I’ll consider it for the future :twisted:

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Stefannli wrote:
d4dd7y00n wrote:

Usually the molecules used for these are taken from a list of carbohydrates; find a list for this and match the molecular weight to the carbohydrate.

In reality it's waaaaaayyyy more complicated than that. It's quite an advanced organic chemistry topic, actually. Those textbooks may have some info on that.
Last edited by pikachu4919 on January 21st, 2018, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20

MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » January 20th, 2018, 10:11 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:
Stefannli wrote:Are Bunsen burners and hot water baths usually provided in invitational competitions such as Princeton?

They should be. That's on the event supervisor.

:lol:
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

AMAZHANG
Division: B
State: NY

Postby AMAZHANG » January 21st, 2018, 4:21 pm

At a tournament, if I am given hair samples in a bag, not in a microscope slide, how should I go about trying to figure out what it is?
WARD MELVILLE HIGH SCHOOL
Nationals- 2nd Place Food Science
NY States- 1st Place Invasive Species
NY States- 1st Place Invasives and Crime Busters, 4th Place Food Science

pikachu4919

Postby pikachu4919 » January 21st, 2018, 7:40 pm

AMAZHANG wrote:At a tournament, if I am given hair samples in a bag, not in a microscope slide, how should I go about trying to figure out what it is?

The rules allow competitors to bring microscope slides and cover slips, which mostly indicates that the competitors technically should be making their own slides at competition with the hairs provided (unless given microscope images which is 1000x less fun than actually trying to ID it :P )
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20

MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

AMAZHANG
Division: B
State: NY

Postby AMAZHANG » January 21st, 2018, 8:56 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:
AMAZHANG wrote:At a tournament, if I am given hair samples in a bag, not in a microscope slide, how should I go about trying to figure out what it is?

The rules allow competitors to bring microscope slides and cover slips, which mostly indicates that the competitors technically should be making their own slides at competition with the hairs provided (unless given microscope images which is 1000x less fun than actually trying to ID it :P )

Ohhh, I see. I was leaning towards that option but since I have to do the analysis, polymers, etc.. I was wondering if there was a quicker way. I guess not lol, thanks so much!
WARD MELVILLE HIGH SCHOOL
Nationals- 2nd Place Food Science
NY States- 1st Place Invasive Species
NY States- 1st Place Invasives and Crime Busters, 4th Place Food Science

pikachu4919

Postby pikachu4919 » January 21st, 2018, 9:17 pm

AMAZHANG wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:

Ohhh, I see. I was leaning towards that option but since I have to do the analysis, polymers, etc.. I was wondering if there was a quicker way. I guess not lol, thanks so much!

I remember when I competed, by the time I was reaching my third/fourth year competing in forensics, I just accepted that most microscopes are not going to be top-notch and started relying on gut intuition to guess the hairs based on what I knew about the characteristics of the animal :P it’s a time saver for sure, especially when some other sections are worth more points that you could get more easily
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20

MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

alylam
State: OH

Postby alylam » January 22nd, 2018, 8:56 am

This is a little off topic from the discussion above, but does anyone know where invites get the samples they use in the plastics/polymers section? Like specifically the pellets/beads? We've been trying to look for them for forever lol
If you think you're going to crash then storm your feet harder

MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18

Return to “2018 Lab Events”