Game On C

NicholasBraun
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Game On C

Post by NicholasBraun »

Does anyone know if your allowed to bring a drawing tablet to the event?
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

NicholasBraun wrote:Does anyone know if your allowed to bring a drawing tablet to the event?
It's not listed in 2.a. of the rules, so no.
CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Is this event done in Scratch?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:Is this event done in Scratch?
Per the rules, the short event description, and the third sentence of the wiki, yes.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Unome wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:Is this event done in Scratch?
Per the rules, the short event description, and the third sentence of the wiki, yes.
Calm down pls.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I fail to see in what way Unome lacks calm anywhere in that post.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Cammaster

Post by Cammaster »

Hey, all. For some unknown reason at the state level in Michigan, Game On is not going to be an event. Instead they are going to run source code. Can someone clarify for me why they are doing this and if this is happening in other states?
Grand Haven High School Science Olympiad

Dank Memester

LET'S GO BUCS!

Hoping for Nationals in Colorado!

Check out my profile at Cammaster
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Cammaster wrote:Hey, all. For some unknown reason at the state level in Michigan, Game On is not going to be an event. Instead they are going to run source code. Can someone clarify for me why they are doing this and if this is happening in other states?
One of the reasons is certainly that someone(s) in MI is pushing for Source Code to eventually become a national event - either next year, or in a few years. There might be other reasons, but the content of the announcement leads me to believe that any other reasons are minor or nonexistent.

It's not happening in any other states that I know of, although SoCal is running Game On with significant modifications.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Chameleon02

Post by Chameleon02 »

Hey guys.... What are some ideas for a collection/ avoidance game. Originally I was planning on building a platformer but this game type is complex and takes well over an hour for me to complete. For a maze game I spent 3 hours creating one today, and I was proud with the final product. The sprite must collect 3 keys in a large maze and avoid zombies patrolling the maze. The sprite must reach the door to pass the level. 3 Lives, death if touching wall.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
acfgmor
State: OH

Post by acfgmor »

After doing this event last year, I was hoping to see rule changes to improve the event this year. However, I am disappointed that this is not the case. This is a flawed event. I found myself doing the same things at every competition and only slightly modifying my game to fit the theme. It seems they are trying to stop this by using different game types, but that does not solve the problem. In their rubric, every game must include a title screen, instructions, and a debriefing. These are not hard to program at all, but every game needs them. It just ends up being busy work. It is the same for sounds. It is only one added line of code. The event is just a checklist of items you have to remember to do. I also feel the rubric puts too much emphasis on things that should not be rewarded. I think the event should be about problem solving and demonstrating knowledge about programming concepts. However, the rubric gives points out for things like "quality/complexity" of sprites, backgrounds, sounds, etc. Having these things do not show any knowledge about programming. A game that does not have the best graphics or sounds but uses complex programming techniques is going to do worse than a more simplistic game that meets all the arbitrary requirements in the rubric. Using scratch has its limitations and obviously is not ideal, but the rules committee could have made the event a lot better.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”