Game On C

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: Game On C

Post by knottingpurple »

Jonathan.Y wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:
Jonathan.Y wrote:Sorry to bring this up again but does anyone have ideas for building games that are generally applicable to a variety of scientific topics? I read the earlier posts about this game type and they all seem to be related to building a "bridge" to get from one side of the screen to the other. While this idea works for certain themes, it does not seem to work well with the majority of them.

Also, in a building/racing game, do both the player and the autonomous sprite have to build something? Or can the player just build something to complete the objective while the autonomous sprite does something else to complete the objective?
It's really possible to apply most game formats to most topics if you try hard enough, it's not as though all of your science ideas or every aspect of the game has to relate to the given topic. At PUSO teethe topic was snow with a maze game and we had a squirrel which didn't want to catch hypothermia while running through the snow and nothing else related and they were fine with it. Can you give an example of a topic which you think wouldn't work with a bridge? Because there are a lot of things which you might build a bridge to avoid, or which might want to use a bridge, if you just get a little bit creative...
For example, if the game topic was something like building enzymes, how would a bridge building game work? Like what would the bridge represent?
Wouldn't they normally say just enzymes as the topic, and building as the game type, so you don't necessarily have to build an enzyme, just include building in the game and also have enzymes in the game? So, enzymes denature in the wrong conditions, but the enzyme needs to be used in a cell which isn't the one it's manufactured in, so you have to construct a pathway through the overly acidic space between the cells which has a higher pH, or something like that? And then the enzyme just moves through the pathway. Of course there are probably other types of building games you could do but that would be my first idea...
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by terence.tan »

does anyone know the gametype and topic from nats?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Post by Riptide »

terence.tan wrote:does anyone know the gametype and topic from nats?
2 player racing, polymerization.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

Does anyone have any ideas for how this event will change as it rotates into B division?

Also, tips?
Fridaychimp
State: TX

Post by Fridaychimp »

dxu46 wrote:Does anyone have any ideas for how this event will change as it rotates into B division?

Also, tips?
I don't predict any significant changes except for (hopefully) more specific and possibly changed game types. Also, though I doubt it'll be implemented for next season, it's worth noting that Scratch 3.0 is in development, which could change some things if Game On is still an event in the future.
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21
Little-Acorn

Post by Little-Acorn »

The title here is Game On C, which is for High Schools. But after SOSI in July 2018, Game On is scheduled to be a Div. B event this years.

My 12yr son in Middle school has been looking forward to Div. B "Game On" which has been on the schedule since SOSI 2018. See https://scilympiad.com/data/org/san-die ... _FInal.pdf .

But just now I saw a note on the San Diego Science Olympiad website, saying "Updated: 8/10/2018 ... 2019 Event Chart ... Note: Southern California State Science Olympiad and its 4 Regionals will replace Game On B with Codebusters B using the same rules as Codebusters C."

See https://scilympiad.com/san-diego-so . Scroll down to the bottom in the center.

Hey! Did my son just lose his favorite event??? Say it ain't so!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Little-Acorn wrote:The title here is Game On C, which is for High Schools. But after SOSI in July 2018, Game On is scheduled to be a Div. B event this years.

My 12yr son in Middle school has been looking forward to Div. B "Game On" which has been on the schedule since SOSI 2018. See https://scilympiad.com/data/org/san-die ... _FInal.pdf .

But just now I saw a note on the San Diego Science Olympiad website, saying "Updated: 8/10/2018 ... 2019 Event Chart ... Note: Southern California State Science Olympiad and its 4 Regionals will replace Game On B with Codebusters B using the same rules as Codebusters C."

See https://scilympiad.com/san-diego-so . Scroll down to the bottom in the center.

Hey! Did my son just lose his favorite event??? Say it ain't so!
SoCal didn't run Game On in Div C in some past years either, so unfortunately for him I think that's likely the case. Someone more local than I may have more details. It's possible that they'll run it in future years though, since it has been run in Div C in SoCal before.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”