Game On C

AzureSkies
Division: C
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Game On C

Post by AzureSkies »

Regarding the new game types (for state and nationals especially), if their descriptions are so vague, does that mean that they can possibly be up to interpretation? As long as the game does fulfill the vague requirements to some degree, that is.

This is the only explanation I could come up with, since it seems that if it were otherwise, they would specify...however, I'm deterred by the fact that the MIT invitational was not lenient at all in interpretation of the game type. No one expected that two-player meant working together, but I guess if you asked, they might tell you. Not sure if they will at states or nationals though.
Ecology, Game On, Write It Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Thermodynamics
Water Quality, Designer Genes, Thermodynamics, Write It Do It
:mrgreen:
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

AzureSkies wrote:Regarding the new game types (for state and nationals especially), if their descriptions are so vague, does that mean that they can possibly be up to interpretation? As long as the game does fulfill the vague requirements to some degree, that is.

This is the only explanation I could come up with, since it seems that if it were otherwise, they would specify...however, I'm deterred by the fact that the MIT invitational was not lenient at all in interpretation of the game type. No one expected that two-player meant working together, but I guess if you asked, they might tell you. Not sure if they will at states or nationals though.
I personally had just never seen that document that even gave a basic description of the game types. Based on that, MIT's grading was how it should've been, tiering anyone that didn't create a player vs autonomous sprite game. However, with such a basic description, the games are still up to personal interpretation as long as you follow the general guidelines. This obviously is just my opinion on the matter, but I don't see how the graders could expect anything else than whats on the guidelines.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

poonicle wrote:
Riptide wrote:What do you guys do for the quality/complexity of background? I typically just use stock backgrounds and switch them up during the game, but I didn't get full points for it. I'm thinking maybe you have to edit the background or something and draw in the "multiple element's" it asks for in the rubric decoded?
The multiple elements part of the rubric is still very confusing, but generally (this applies for sprites too) DRAWING SOMETHING CUSTOM MADE IS KEY. Of course this is very difficult with Scratch... Drawing in general is such a pain... I recommend using the vector tool and experimenting with the geometric shapes (for example, using many circles to make flower petals or something like that). The "fill" option (especially with different shadings/gradients) is very helpful.

This obviously varies based on game types, though. It's easier to create a nice backdrop for an avoidance game versus, say, a maze game...
I don't have this event, so I'm not entirely familiar with the rules, but I do play on scratch a lot, and I've found some great tutorials over the years for the scratch vector editor. I hope these are helpful. I could also give a few tips on the SVE, if you'd like some- although I'm not an expert I've been using it for almost five years now.
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/75539018/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/146266163/
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Riptide »

Nerd_Bunny wrote: I don't have this event, so I'm not entirely familiar with the rules, but I do play on scratch a lot, and I've found some great tutorials over the years for the scratch vector editor. I hope these are helpful. I could also give a few tips on the SVE, if you'd like some- although I'm not an expert I've been using it for almost five years now.
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/75539018/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/146266163/
These are really good, especially for people just starting to use scratch. Thanks for sharing!
UC Berkeley
fdf4

Post by fdf4 »

Could someone help explain documentation? Normally I just type out what a block of code is supposed to execute, such as "this block is responsible for player movement" and such, but I got zero points for doing so last invitational. Do judges want the actual logic of the code typed out?
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Riptide »

fdf4 wrote:Could someone help explain documentation? Normally I just type out what a block of code is supposed to execute, such as "this block is responsible for player movement" and such, but I got zero points for doing so last invitational. Do judges want the actual logic of the code typed out?
Based on the rubric, you should've gotten at least 2 points for adding comments at all, regardless of if they were what the graders were looking for. The goal of the documentation is to explain the function of the code. You don't need to go super in depth, but explain slightly the logic of the code and how it is implemented in the game. Keep in mind that it is better to leave multiple smaller comments on different sections of code than just one large comment per sprite.
UC Berkeley
bigsnek

Post by bigsnek »

What exactly does "Building" entail? Does there need to be actual construction, or would, say, spawning a wall on click count
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

bigsnek wrote:What exactly does "Building" entail? Does there need to be actual construction, or would, say, spawning a wall on click count
I think the directions said assembly from smaller parts, so just one wall probably wouldn't count but two connected walls probably would?
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

knottingpurple wrote:
bigsnek wrote:What exactly does "Building" entail? Does there need to be actual construction, or would, say, spawning a wall on click count
I think the directions said assembly from smaller parts, so just one wall probably wouldn't count but two connected walls probably would?
Would the 2 things that you are building have to be right next to each other.
Because im doing a platformer and using the mouse to place smaller platforms on the screen
Would this work?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
armadillo

Post by armadillo »

For movement complexity, do we need both diagonal moement and acceleration or just one of the two?

Return to “2018 Lab Events”