Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Game On C

Post by Riptide »

kenniky wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:
Riptide wrote:
Sorry if it’s an obvious question, but where could I find the SOSI schedule? Haven’t heard of code busters replacing game on before, but that seems like an extremely viable option.
Here
If I'm reading this right, they're moving Game On to Div B? lol
Feels bad for division B :cry:
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

Riptide wrote:
kenniky wrote:
Adi1008 wrote: Here
If I'm reading this right, they're moving Game On to Div B? lol
Feels bad for division B :cry:
I mean as a div B event it makes more sense, like middle school is much closer to the target audience of Scratch I think.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
Snarknado
Division: C
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Snarknado »

Skink wrote:
terence.tan wrote:what do you guys do for sound. Also what counts as complex sound?
I tell my team to beatbox (as that's all that 8-bit music really is, anyway), but they won't do it. :( I still think that's the best bet here.
You could use Scratch's instruments and whatnot to make music, but I think it actually would be way more time-efficient to beatbox, assuming I don't get the evil eye from the ES for beatboxing in a fairly quiet room.

One question, how do people generally distribute the work for this event between the two partners?
Aside from having one person look over and review scripts over the other person's shoulder and throwing out design ideas while their partner actually makes the game, there doesn't seem to be a lot for them to do. :?:
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"
poonicle

Post by poonicle »

Snarknado wrote: One question, how do people generally distribute the work for this event between the two partners?
Aside from having one person look over and review scripts over the other person's shoulder and throwing out design ideas while their partner actually makes the game, there doesn't seem to be a lot for them to do. :?:
This strategy might not work for other pairs, but it definitely worked for both teams at our school--essentially, there's a "front" person and a "back" person. The "front" person designs all of the sprites, draws everything, writes up all of the text and scientific explanations, etc. The "back" person does the code as fast as possible.

Preferably both people should be familiar with the code/able to fulfill either role, though. It's just useful in case your partner chokes during the competition or something. Also, when my partner and I re-did our game in 35 minutes at MIT, since we already had most of the design elements/text ready I was basically watching over his shoulder and making sure he didn't mess up on the code. A lot of times it's really easy to make silly mistakes in Scratch, and honestly debugging the game can be so annoying... If the other partner isn't doing anything then just have them do that lol. It might seem kinda dumb but it is quite helpful.

But yeah, preferably while one person is coding the other person is planning things, and while the "front" person draws things the other person is reviewing everything. Idk, Game On is kinda weird as a partner event; dividing work is something every pair struggles with as far as I know.

EDIT: nice beatboxing idea :), i never thought of that... one time i proposed that my partner sing theme music but that idea was rejected :D
Events: WIDI, Geomap, Disease, Chem Lab
Acton-Boxborough A for Invites season
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

What do you guys do for the quality/complexity of background? I typically just use stock backgrounds and switch them up during the game, but I didn't get full points for it. I'm thinking maybe you have to edit the background or something and draw in the "multiple element's" it asks for in the rubric decoded?
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
armadillo

Post by armadillo »

Anyone know what exactly is meant by a racing game? Is it player vs autonomous, or just timed course?
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

armadillo wrote:Anyone know what exactly is meant by a racing game? Is it player vs autonomous, or just timed course?
"the user controlled sprite must complete the objectives of the game before the autonomous sprite does"

From the Game On game types descriptions, so yes, it has to involve an autonomous sprite which you attempt to be faster than.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
poonicle

Post by poonicle »

Riptide wrote:What do you guys do for the quality/complexity of background? I typically just use stock backgrounds and switch them up during the game, but I didn't get full points for it. I'm thinking maybe you have to edit the background or something and draw in the "multiple element's" it asks for in the rubric decoded?
The multiple elements part of the rubric is still very confusing, but generally (this applies for sprites too) DRAWING SOMETHING CUSTOM MADE IS KEY. Of course this is very difficult with Scratch... Drawing in general is such a pain... I recommend using the vector tool and experimenting with the geometric shapes (for example, using many circles to make flower petals or something like that). The "fill" option (especially with different shadings/gradients) is very helpful.

This obviously varies based on game types, though. It's easier to create a nice backdrop for an avoidance game versus, say, a maze game...
Events: WIDI, Geomap, Disease, Chem Lab
Acton-Boxborough A for Invites season
technoal9
State: MA

Post by technoal9 »

Does anyone have examples of building games or what specifically a building game is? The rules state that the UC sprite has to be involved in the assembly of smaller parts, but what specifically does that entail. Does the UC sprite have to specifically move each piece to create the assembly? The rules are extremely vague and not helpful.
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

technoal9 wrote:Does anyone have examples of building games or what specifically a building game is? The rules state that the UC sprite has to be involved in the assembly of smaller parts, but what specifically does that entail. Does the UC sprite have to specifically move each piece to create the assembly? The rules are extremely vague and not helpful.
i am using the mouse the paste parts of the level in order to complete it
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

Return to “2018 Lab Events”