Game On C

Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Game On C

Post by Froggie »

acfgmor wrote:After doing this event last year, I was hoping to see rule changes to improve the event this year. However, I am disappointed that this is not the case. This is a flawed event. I found myself doing the same things at every competition and only slightly modifying my game to fit the theme. It seems they are trying to stop this by using different game types, but that does not solve the problem. In their rubric, every game must include a title screen, instructions, and a debriefing. These are not hard to program at all, but every game needs them. It just ends up being busy work. It is the same for sounds. It is only one added line of code. The event is just a checklist of items you have to remember to do. I also feel the rubric puts too much emphasis on things that should not be rewarded. I think the event should be about problem solving and demonstrating knowledge about programming concepts. However, the rubric gives points out for things like "quality/complexity" of sprites, backgrounds, sounds, etc. Having these things do not show any knowledge about programming. A game that does not have the best graphics or sounds but uses complex programming techniques is going to do worse than a more simplistic game that meets all the arbitrary requirements in the rubric. Using scratch has its limitations and obviously is not ideal, but the rules committee could have made the event a lot better.
Most people’s opinion in one post.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
kenniky
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kenniky »

patiently waits on Source Code to become mainstream
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

When you guys are told the game TOPIC how do you usually approach it as you come up ideas of the game that you will make. I usually lose a lot of points for the science of theme portion of the rubric

also for the game TYPE, lets say it is maze. Does not being able to go through walls be a scientific concepts because of the normal force that the wall applies back, or is that silly?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
scienceiscool

Post by scienceiscool »

What would a Building game encompass? Can a simple stacking game come under the Building game type?
jkuang7

Post by jkuang7 »

What are your thoughts on the "need for autonomous sprites" as specified in the 2018 rubric? Any ideas if we have to implement those in games such as the maze/collection types, if so, how?
IAmBored

Post by IAmBored »

In the rubric explained, I was wondering what the science of themes was. This looked important for it could give you 12 points.
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

IAmBored wrote:In the rubric explained, I was wondering what the science of themes was. This looked important for it could give you 12 points.
See here: https://www.soinc.org/game-c

Under "Scoring Rubric Explained" it gives a more detailed rundown of the rubric
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
JojoCho
State: GA

Post by JojoCho »

jkuang7 wrote:What are your thoughts on the "need for autonomous sprites" as specified in the 2018 rubric? Any ideas if we have to implement those in games such as the maze/collection types, if so, how?
In maze type games, you could create an autonomous sprite that maybe you need to avoid coming in contact with. For example, if you're a fish going through a maze, have a shark or something moving around the maze. The fish is user controlled sprite and the shark/predator can count as your autonomous sprite. Same goes for the collection type. Tbh, it also counts as avoidance but that's just how I've been dealing with the "autonomous sprites" requirement.
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page
JojoCho
State: GA

Post by JojoCho »

terence.tan wrote:When you guys are told the game TOPIC how do you usually approach it as you come up ideas of the game that you will make. I usually lose a lot of points for the science of theme portion of the rubric

also for the game TYPE, lets say it is maze. Does not being able to go through walls be a scientific concepts because of the normal force that the wall applies back, or is that silly?
1. This really just comes with practice. Usually I will have someone on my team give me a random topic to work with. The topics given at competitions should typically be very broad so you'll have lots of choices. The more you practice the easier it will get to come up with ideas. A tip I have though is if you have many ideas for a topic, don't pick the first one that comes to mind. Most likely many other teams have the same idea and you won't stick out. Think outside the box a bit! At a competition once everyone created an ocean game but my partner and I made a "desert" game and we won first, so be creative.

2. Depends on the topic? If the topic is "forces" then yeah it works. If you have a topic like "jungle" though it won't work. You could have scientific concepts such as predation, competition for food, food web, life cycle, etc. Those things count as scientific concepts. Just make sure to include your explanations of those concepts in your instructions page.
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

JojoCho wrote:
terence.tan wrote:When you guys are told the game TOPIC how do you usually approach it as you come up ideas of the game that you will make. I usually lose a lot of points for the science of theme portion of the rubric

1. This really just comes with practice. Usually I will have someone on my team give me a random topic to work with. The topics given at competitions should typically be very broad so you'll have lots of choices. The more you practice the easier it will get to come up with ideas. A tip I have though is if you have many ideas for a topic, don't pick the first one that comes to mind. Most likely many other teams have the same idea and you won't stick out. Think outside the box a bit! At a competition once everyone created an ocean game but my partner and I made a "desert" game and we won first, so be creative.

2. Depends on the topic? If the topic is "forces" then yeah it works. If you have a topic like "jungle" though it won't work. You could have scientific concepts such as predation, competition for food, food web, life cycle, etc. Those things count as scientific concepts. Just make sure to include your explanations of those concepts in your instructions page.
for the game explanations would 1 sentence be enough?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

Return to “2018 Lab Events”