Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Game On C

Post by Riptide »

armadillo wrote:For movement complexity, do we need both diagonal moement and acceleration or just one of the two?
Based on the rubric, I interpret it as you only need one - however, diagonal isn’t really that complex to do, so I would include acceleration anyway since it only takes around 20-30 seconds to add.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
JojoCho
State: GA
Been thanked: 0

Post by JojoCho »

So on the scoresheet there's a section which requires a "scorekeeping mechanism." For this section, could you theoretically have your time as your final score and the lower your score/time the better? Or because in game technically it isn't a "scorekeeping" thing it won't count?
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Riptide »

JojoCho wrote:So on the scoresheet there's a section which requires a "scorekeeping mechanism." For this section, could you theoretically have your time as your final score and the lower your score/time the better? Or because in game technically it isn't a "scorekeeping" thing it won't count?
I personally think that having a time counter would work as a score mechanism. I have used this a few times at invitationals and it always works for me, but it’s up to the interpretation of the grader at competition.
UC Berkeley
Ten086
Division: C

Post by Ten086 »

Hey, I think this was mentioned earlier a few times, but I'm still confused about the building game type...has anyone come up with a decent idea for that type? Do you think having the user controlled sprite hover over certain spots and place an object (like reverse collection) would count?
Just trying my best...
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

Ten086 wrote:Hey, I think this was mentioned earlier a few times, but I'm still confused about the building game type...has anyone come up with a decent idea for that type? Do you think having the user controlled sprite hover over certain spots and place an object (like reverse collection) would count?
My partner and I normally did you have a UC sprite which creates a clone of a certain block, in the location of the UC sprite, each time you hit space, and you have to fill a certain area or path with these blocks. I'm sure there are plenty of other ways you could also do it, but that seemed pretty simple and we had enough time to practice it pretty well. We never actually used that at any competition so idk how well it would be liked by the average grader, but you can try?
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
whythescratchyface
Division: C

Post by whythescratchyface »

Another possible way in which you can make a building game is to have a "hand"/UC sprite doing the building from one point to another, with the building blocks stamped after the user presses a certain key (e.g. space). Then, you can have a very small sensor sprite that constantly glides at a really fast speed from one section to another, and once it doesn't touch the environment and just touches the color of the building blocks, you win. As for autonomous sprites, maybe the UC sprite doing the building can't touch it.
Scratch is a visual programming language and online community targeted primarily at children. Using Scratch, users create their own interactive stories, games and animations, then share and discuss their creations with one another.

West Windsor-Plainsboro HS South '19
Cornell University '23
JojoCho
State: GA

Post by JojoCho »

Adding on to the building game topic, my partner and I made a practice game where you basically had different pieces of something (say a bridge) scattered around the map and you had to click each piece to complete the bridge. If you clicked the wrong piece (plank of wood is too small to support the force of a car or something) then the UC sprite (created a custom sprite for the mouse cursor) would say no or something. If you clicked the correct piece the sprite would jump to the correct spot and eventually the bridge would be built. As for the autonomous sprite, we made it something that you (UC sprite) had to avoid and it would fly around or something.Basically, the game is taking smaller pieces and putting it together to create a final product.
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

JojoCho wrote:Adding on to the building game topic, my partner and I made a practice game where you basically had different pieces of something (say a bridge) scattered around the map and you had to click each piece to complete the bridge. If you clicked the wrong piece (plank of wood is too small to support the force of a car or something) then the UC sprite (created a custom sprite for the mouse cursor) would say no or something. If you clicked the correct piece the sprite would jump to the correct spot and eventually the bridge would be built. As for the autonomous sprite, we made it something that you (UC sprite) had to avoid and it would fly around or something.Basically, the game is taking smaller pieces and putting it together to create a final product.
I think while we were starting out we tried some variants like that, but decided that we would still have an arrow key-controlled UC sprite because we knew how to get all the orientation and movement points for that, and the space key just takes the place of a mouse click.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
Maglor

Post by Maglor »

Is it against the rules to bring our own mouses and use them?
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Riptide »

Maglor wrote:Is it against the rules to bring our own mouses and use them?
I believe the rules specify exactly what is allowed to be brought in, and a mouse isn't one of them. You could always try and bring it but make sure to ask the proctor before using it.
UC Berkeley

Return to “2018 Lab Events”