nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Post by nicholasmaurer »

windu34 wrote:
antoine_ego wrote: Out of curiosity, what were the Div C tracks made out of?
Melamine. This was told to coaches during the coaches meeting on Friday night.
"With a crease in the middle, perpendicular to the direction of motion" - thank you coaches meeting :P
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
windu34 wrote:
antoine_ego wrote: Out of curiosity, what were the Div C tracks made out of?
Melamine. This was told to coaches during the coaches meeting on Friday night.
"With a crease in the middle, perpendicular to the direction of motion" - thank you coaches meeting :P
Just be thankful his response wasn't "You'll find out tomorrow" lol
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

windu34 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
windu34 wrote: Melamine. This was told to coaches during the coaches meeting on Friday night.
Just be thankful his response wasn't "You'll find out tomorrow" lol
It honestly wouldn’t have mattered. I’m pretty sure our hovercraft practically had a jet engine attached. The thing would go into orbit if oriented vertically.

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
CMS AC
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by CMS AC »

does anyone know when hover will be coming back?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

CMS AC wrote:does anyone know when hover will be coming back?
Honestly, I have no idea. It might come back in 6 or so years like Sounds (albeit for the other division) or Trajectory (turned Air Trajectory) did; it might never come back. I think it has to do with whether it's successfully run as a Nationals trial event.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Honestly, I have no idea. It might come back in 6 or so years like Sounds (albeit for the other division) or Trajectory (turned Air Trajectory) did; it might never come back. I think it has to do with whether it's successfully run as a Nationals trial event.
Hovercraft went pretty well (or at least, better than MagLev). I expect it'll be back in rotation in 4-6 years.
Userpage

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Hovercraft went pretty well (or at least, better than MagLev). I expect it'll be back in rotation in 4-6 years.
I would argue that we wont see hovercraft for another 6-8 years. I believe it will be sounds>maglev>trajectory>??, but the rotations in this group have been a little volatile in the past decade so its certainly possible we will see a different rotation.
I think Maglev will be kept and revised in some way - it tests a different skill set than hovercraft as far as the test goes (although they do partially overlap). I think the biggest challenge will be changing the build to be less of a burden on teams and tournament directors (cost and transportation of the track were issues).
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

windu34 wrote:
Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: Honestly, I have no idea. It might come back in 6 or so years like Sounds (albeit for the other division) or Trajectory (turned Air Trajectory) did; it might never come back. I think it has to do with whether it's successfully run as a Nationals trial event.
I would argue that we wont see hovercraft for another 6-8 years. I believe it will be sounds>maglev>trajectory>??, but the rotations in this group have been a little volatile in the past decade so its certainly possible we will see a different rotation.
I think Maglev will be kept and revised in some way - it tests a different skill set than hovercraft as far as the test goes (although they do partially overlap). I think the biggest challenge will be changing the build to be less of a burden on teams and tournament directors (cost and transportation of the track were issues).
The cost of MagLev tracks was certainly an issue, as was the difficulty in getting consistency between different tracks. Hovercraft admittedly has similar issues (especially with getting a level, smooth surface), but without the added complication of different magnets.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”