Hovercraft B/C

ChubbyPanda
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Batteries

Post by ChubbyPanda »

Since lithium batteries are not allowed this year, I have been having trouble finding batteries that will provide sufficient energy to power my hovercraft for numerous trials. I have been using alkaline 9v batteries, but I know these are not ideal because of the sharp drop-off in power. The fans I have require 7-13 volts and currents of 3.3A and 0.8A. If anyone has suggestions for batteries, that would be greatly appreciated!
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

nimh
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Does anyone know how to calculate the pressure that a lift fan generates, given its cfm? Is there a formula?
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Ash123 wrote:Does anyone know how to calculate the pressure that a lift fan generates, given its cfm? Is there a formula?
You can't using just the CFM. Pressure and CFM are relatively independent characteristics of a fan (in reality there are a bit related, but other factors come into play).

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

chalker wrote:
Ash123 wrote:Does anyone know how to calculate the pressure that a lift fan generates, given its cfm? Is there a formula?
You can't using just the CFM. Pressure and CFM are relatively independent characteristics of a fan (in reality there are a bit related, but other factors come into play).
Oh ok. Is there any way to calculate the output pressure of, say, a squirrel cage blower? Like a formula of some kind? I don’t really have the option to test since my school doesn’t fund us.
ftf841
State: MD

Post by ftf841 »

Ash123 wrote:
chalker wrote:
Oh ok. Is there any way to calculate the output pressure of, say, a squirrel cage blower? Like a formula of some kind? I don’t really have the option to test since my school doesn’t fund us.
There's not really a formula (i think). You might be able to find the static pressure the blower can produce online. I would just recommend getting the highest static pressure fan you can get your hands on for a lift fan.
i'll work on my events eventually

Centennial High School
Exclusive Game On Competitor
QuantumEcho

Post by QuantumEcho »

ftf841 wrote:
Ash123 wrote:
chalker wrote:
There's not really a formula (i think). You might be able to find the static pressure the blower can produce online. I would just recommend getting the highest static pressure fan you can get your hands on for a lift fan.
I have a pretty good site in hand when wanting to calculate if a fan is good or not to do the job. Here is the link. Just follow the instructions on the site, and look at Pascals (Pa.) when wanting the needed pressure to lift.
Seven Lakes Junior High ‘17, Obra D. Tompkins High School ‘21
QuantumEcho

Post by QuantumEcho »

QuantumEcho wrote:
ftf841 wrote:
Ash123 wrote:
I have a pretty good site in hand when wanting to calculate if a fan is good or not to do the job. Here is the link. Just follow the instructions on the site, and look at Pascals (Pa.) when wanting the needed pressure to lift.
From what I believe, larger bases need less Pa to efficiently lift the hovercraft
Seven Lakes Junior High ‘17, Obra D. Tompkins High School ‘21
ftf841
State: MD

Post by ftf841 »

QuantumEcho wrote:
QuantumEcho wrote:
ftf841 wrote: There's not really a formula (i think). You might be able to find the static pressure the blower can produce online. I would just recommend getting the highest static pressure fan you can get your hands on for a lift fan.
From what I believe, larger bases need less Pa to efficiently lift the hovercraft
Why would that be? Wouldn't a smaller base work better because the max pressure in the skirt is constant, so by minimizing the area, the lift force would be increased?
i'll work on my events eventually

Centennial High School
Exclusive Game On Competitor
copper.hat

Post by copper.hat »

ftf841 wrote:
QuantumEcho wrote:
QuantumEcho wrote: I have a pretty good site in hand when wanting to calculate if a fan is good or not to do the job. Here is the link. Just follow the instructions on the site, and look at Pascals (Pa.) when wanting the needed pressure to lift.
Why would that be? Wouldn't a smaller base work better because the max pressure in the skirt is constant, so by minimizing the area, the lift force would be increased?
Very roughly, the lift comes from the pressure times the area, so, all things being equal, a bigger area will give bigger lift. However, edge/skirt leakage becomes an issue if you make the area too large. Other issues crop up, like a skirt with a hard edge that would catch on slight roughness on the surface.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”