Hovercraft B/C

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Post by Adi1008 »

randomperson123 wrote:Is the hovercraft written test self-scheduled at nationals?
Based on the tentative schedule in the rulebook, hovercraft is completely self schedule.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Birdmusic
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

BasuSiddha23 wrote:How many rolls of pennies can your hovercrafts hold?

I just want to see our performance compared to other teams.
4 at most with full batteries. (yeah i can't build)
I like birds.
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Post by jgrischow1 »

Sorry if something like this has already been posted, but we found a really good way to increase the number of pennies we could hold. When my kids were just randomly poking holes in the bottom of their skirt, they could only get 3-4 pennies on. We created a simple device in which graph paper was taped on to a piece of cardboard. We then poked thumbtacks through the intersections of the graph paper. We must have had hundreds of tacks on it. The kids pierced their skirts with the device, and the even holes really helped, enabling them to get 12-13 penny roles and a 15 second time.
LittyWap
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by LittyWap »

jgrischow1 wrote:Sorry if something like this has already been posted, but we found a really good way to increase the number of pennies we could hold. When my kids were just randomly poking holes in the bottom of their skirt, they could only get 3-4 pennies on. We created a simple device in which graph paper was taped on to a piece of cardboard. We then poked thumbtacks through the intersections of the graph paper. We must have had hundreds of tacks on it. The kids pierced their skirts with the device, and the even holes really helped, enabling them to get 12-13 penny roles and a 15 second time.

Seeing as how im not making it to Nats this year and this event is leaving in 2019, I should tell you that this was major to the success of my craft. It's like an air hockey table, where the holes restrict the volumetric flow and increase the static pressure.
Build score of 49.88/50 at Nationals!? Slacker! :evil:

Shady Side Academy Division C

Hovercraft, Thermodynamics, Chemistry Lab, Mat Sci

Big P
IvanGe
State: NY

Post by IvanGe »

Does anyone know if they will give you credit for an answer being 51.50N when the answer key says 51.52N? Does that small difference affect if you get credit or not?
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
MIScioly1
State: MI

Post by MIScioly1 »

IvanGe wrote:Does anyone know if they will give you credit for an answer being 51.50N when the answer key says 51.52N? Does that small difference affect if you get credit or not?
100% dependent on the supervisor. If the supervisor is requesting the calculation to be done in a certain way using sig figs, then I suppose that difference could affect credit. That being said, I would give it full credit if I were the supervisor.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
MIScioly1
State: MI

Post by MIScioly1 »

MIScioly1 wrote:
IvanGe wrote:Does anyone know if they will give you credit for an answer being 51.50N when the answer key says 51.52N? Does that small difference affect if you get credit or not?
100% dependent on the supervisor. If the supervisor is requesting the calculation to be done in a certain way using sig figs, then I suppose that difference could affect credit. That being said, I would give it full credit if I were the supervisor.
I assume most would have no problem with it, though. (sorry for double post)
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
CMS AC
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by CMS AC »

How significant is sig figs though? Like how many points would they take off?(No pun intended)
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

CMS AC wrote:How significant is sig figs though? Like how many points would they take off?(No pun intended)
Depends on the test and test writer. For example, on Optics MIT, you lost half credit if your sig figs were off. I'd read the directions carefully; sometimes they ask for a fixed number (i.e. Astronomy MIT).
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

MIScioly1 wrote:
Also dependent on the question. If it's a straightforward one-step or two-step calculation, it's harder to deem it creditworthy than, say, if it was five or six calculations.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”