Materials Science C

Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Materials Science C

Post by Raleway »

d4dd7y00n wrote:For lab part of the event, what are some possible labs that they could make us do? I talked to my chemistry teacher about this and he said most of the polymer labs are kinda too nasty. What I am thinking is that they would make us do a lab from part b of the event description such as Young's modulus, viscosity, and Poisson's ratio because they are easier to do.
Polymer labs aren't really out of the equation per say- Yale ran one last year but it wasn't really a lab practical? You'll see if you look at their tests; it was an odd one. Most labs are geared towards the physical side of Materials Science but with the focus on polymers this year... who knows. There are definitely polymer labs that can be run for this event but they would be quite challenging for any competitor. This could include anything from polymerization to comparing specific polymers and maybe IDing them (heh Materials Science seems to expand even more!) Good luck :)
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
Torterra
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by Torterra »

So, I'm kinda new to this event. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good place to start preparing?
d4dd7y00n
State: GA

Post by d4dd7y00n »

Torterra wrote:So, I'm kinda new to this event. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good place to start preparing?
I think you should start with nomenclature
Torterra
State: IL

Post by Torterra »

Ok, thanks. I'll do that.
samlan16
Division: Grad

Post by samlan16 »

d4dd7y00n wrote:
Torterra wrote:So, I'm kinda new to this event. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good place to start preparing?
I think you should start with nomenclature
Since this year's theme is polymers, you should start with the o-chem side of the event to know what you're looking at once you get to monomers. Even though you shouldn't see any reactions until state, I would recommend learning them anyway (the ones to get monomers, then the ones making polymer chains) so the event is not brute memorization.

Past that, you should spend some time learning about how polymers are characterized. There are several tests that are normal practice (i.e. tensile and flexural modulus, TGA, etc.), and you should definitely learn those in case they show up in the experimental section. You should also learn how these properties are applied for materials selection purposes and then the applications of common polymers, referencing their properties.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

How valuable is AP Physics 1 or AP Physics C in preparing for this event? Is there much overlap?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:How valuable is AP Physics 1 or AP Physics C in preparing for this event? Is there much overlap?
Almost no overlap that I have encountered so far (having won two golds this year and written a test, I can now speak from experience). There's use in being able to manipulate units well, but that's about it - most of the actual engineering properties and such are significantly outside the scope of those classes from what I can tell.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:How valuable is AP Physics 1 or AP Physics C in preparing for this event? Is there much overlap?
Almost no overlap that I have encountered so far (having won two golds this year and written a test, I can now speak from experience). There's use in being able to manipulate units well, but that's about it - most of the actual engineering properties and such are significantly outside the scope of those classes from what I can tell.
Thank you for your response.

This is interesting and I'm surprised. What about any basic background that those classes provide? Like the knowledge of what energy is, what work is, how forces work and how they relate to acceleration and velocity, etc.?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Unome wrote:

This is interesting and I'm surprised. What about any basic background that those classes provide? Like the knowledge of what energy is, what work is, how forces work and how they relate to acceleration and velocity, etc.?
Most of that I knew from either doing Simple Machines for two years in Div B (and being really good at it) or from following the discussion on Towers (guesstimated the Young's modulus formula today from all that "light reading" lol). It may be useful to have some Physics 1 conceptual knowledge, but not much more than that.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
Unome wrote: Almost no overlap that I have encountered so far (having won two golds this year and written a test, I can now speak from experience). There's use in being able to manipulate units well, but that's about it - most of the actual engineering properties and such are significantly outside the scope of those classes from what I can tell.

Most of that I knew from either doing Simple Machines for two years in Div B (and being really good at it) or from following the discussion on Towers (guesstimated the Young's modulus formula today from all that "light reading" lol). It may be useful to have some Physics 1 conceptual knowledge, but not much more than that.
Adding to this, but just in general matsci has hardly anything in common with AP or freshman level mechanics. Most of it, especially in the scope of polymers, draws from chemistry, modern physics, and emag.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”