bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Materials Science C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Materials Science C

Post by Tesel »

To continue with last year's discussion, MatSci seems to be centered around polymers, with new topics in organic chemistry.

I plan on using David Klein's Organic Chemistry as a Second Language to start out, and will let you know how that text fits with this year's topics. I've also heard good things about Klein's Organic Chemistry and Levy's Arrow-Pushing in Organic Chemistry, but it seems like the rules don't require that much depth of material. Does anyone else have experiences/recommendations with organic chem textbooks and how they would relate to the new rules?
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Tesel wrote:To continue with last year's discussion, MatSci seems to be centered around polymers, with new topics in organic chemistry.

I plan on using David Klein's Organic Chemistry as a Second Language to start out, and will let you know how that text fits with this year's topics. I've also heard good things about Klein's Organic Chemistry and Levy's Arrow-Pushing in Organic Chemistry, but it seems like the rules don't require that much depth of material. Does anyone else have experiences/recommendations with organic chem textbooks and how they would relate to the new rules?
I personally doubt there'll be much of that depth, it'll likely just be basics. My AP Chem teacher covered organic chemistry anyway (everything on the rules besides aromatics), so hopefully I won't have to spend as much time on that.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
d4dd7y00n
Been thanked: 0

Post by d4dd7y00n »

Where do I find the event descriptions? I cannot find them on the website :(.
Unome

Post by Unome »

d4dd7y00n wrote:Where do I find the event descriptions? I cannot find them on the website :(.
The rules manual can be found here.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I consulted one of my organic texts, and the chapter on polymers isn't a bad starting point for 3.c. (plus, of course, the relevant sections on the nomenclature of the various functional groups). I'm much less sure about 3.d...fortunately, a friend of mine is a polymer chemist, so I'll see if she has any insights.

I'd be especially leery of the IR on S/N tests...interpreting IR spectra is hard unless you've had semesters' worth of training or a lot of exposure in the laboratory.
Fluorine
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fluorine »

Skink wrote:I consulted one of my organic texts, and the chapter on polymers isn't a bad starting point for 3.c. (plus, of course, the relevant sections on the nomenclature of the various functional groups). I'm much less sure about 3.d...fortunately, a friend of mine is a polymer chemist, so I'll see if she has any insights.

I'd be especially leery of the IR on S/N tests...interpreting IR spectra is hard unless you've had semesters' worth of training or a lot of exposure in the laboratory.
I agree IR can be extremely difficult..... but I could see a question where they provide a table of IR functional group values. Then give IR values and like 5 molecules and ask which one is most likely.

I am happy they made the mat sci rules more focused though. Makes it slightly easier to prepare for now... welp change comes after I graduated
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

I'm just wondering (and I will be submitting a clarification request)- are they going to be nitpicky and only allow IUPAC naming conventions? Because who doesn't say acetic acid or isopropanol e.e
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Raleway wrote:I'm just wondering (and I will be submitting a clarification request)- are they going to be nitpicky and only allow IUPAC naming conventions? Because who doesn't say acetic acid or isopropanol e.e
Any halfway competent ES will recognize possible correct names, as there are cases where there are at least three conceivable ones that participants could generate. Furthermore, there are legitimate cases where the common names are the ones you'd find on the bottle in the stock room or a paper you're reading. If you're looking for ethanoic acid or phenyl methanal, you might be wandering around for awhile! Now, in a competitive setting, what I'd worry about is if the ES asks for a particular one. Suppose I gave a structure and asked for the IUPAC name (not unusual) or gave another structure and asked for the name on the bottle on the shelf. Maybe, that'd be a common name. I'd ensure you're familiar with what's out there. Anyway, you've probably seen some other non-IUPAC names like when you studied the Krebs Cycle in biology. Alpha-ketoglutarate?

As for your last example, you'll usually see isopropyl alcohol on the bottle (which I suspect is what you meant to say). It's so wrong, but, typically, if you ask for just "isopropyl", people know what you mean.
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

Skink wrote:
Raleway wrote:I'm just wondering (and I will be submitting a clarification request)- are they going to be nitpicky and only allow IUPAC naming conventions? Because who doesn't say acetic acid or isopropanol e.e
Any halfway competent ES will recognize possible correct names, as there are cases where there are at least three conceivable ones that participants could generate. Furthermore, there are legitimate cases where the common names are the ones you'd find on the bottle in the stock room or a paper you're reading. If you're looking for ethanoic acid or phenyl methanal, you might be wandering around for awhile! Now, in a competitive setting, what I'd worry about is if the ES asks for a particular one. Suppose I gave a structure and asked for the IUPAC name (not unusual) or gave another structure and asked for the name on the bottle on the shelf. Maybe, that'd be a common name. I'd ensure you're familiar with what's out there. Anyway, you've probably seen some other non-IUPAC names like when you studied the Krebs Cycle in biology. Alpha-ketoglutarate?

As for your last example, you'll usually see isopropyl alcohol on the bottle (which I suspect is what you meant to say). It's so wrong, but, typically, if you ask for just "isopropyl", people know what you mean.
Oh no- I use isopropyl sometimes in naming (who uses the other IUPAC name?). Usually when you use an esterification reaction, you would say Acetic acid- not ethanoic acid. Just wondering how strict they are with these things or if they want both.

PS: Sometimes, the luck of the draw frowns upon you and you get less than a halfway competent ES who is only there to be there and scores straight from a sheet (with only IUPAC maybe).

Thanks!
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman

Return to “2018 Lab Events”