Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mystery Architecture B

Post by dholdgreve »

Crtomir wrote:
heiber wrote:
sciencepeeps wrote:I think someone has already asked this, but I’ll ask anyway. For a cantilever, are we provided with a base or not? With a base would be like building it off of a table or something. No base would be having to make the cantilever freestanding.
Yes I asked and am still awaiting an answer. Another option would be to anchor it to a wall. Is there any guidance?

Thanks.

My guess is that for cantilevers, event supervisors would need to provide a testing station like what they had for Boomilever years ago (before my time). I believe they had three hooks screwed into a vertical board to "hang" the cantilever from. This is hard because cantilevers are not available for event supervisors to choose until State, so they don't get the benefit of seeing how other event supervisors tested it during the season and all the problems that would have potentially arisen. It's possible that some State event supervisors will just opt not to test cantilevers and go for bridges or towers instead. You just don't really know what to expect. It's a "Mystery" I guess. :P
I've seen Boomilevers done with 3 larger open hooks (you can choose to mount your device on 1, 2, or all 3 hooks), and I have seen them simply use a hole in the vertical plane of the mounting board, in which you install a 1/4" standard hex head bolt with a wing nut on the back. Who knows?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

I have built a couple of bridges and towers, but I will not do cantilevers unless we make it to nationals. The rules aren't too clear on the goals of the competition, so I was speculating on whether the structures would need to hold a load. Dunno, but I have been building with the goals of supporting weight in mind. If we are to support a load, how will they place the load on? Will it be like towers, with a loading block, or will they just put books and other stuff on top of the structure?

My partner and I have been primarily using a combination of rubber bands, masking tape, popsicle sticks, chopsticks, and rolled paper. Also wondering what materials you have been practicing with.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
heiber
Been thanked: 0

Post by heiber »

Usually they will give you an objective and parameters such as:

Primary: Longest bridge that holds the load or tallest tower that holds the load
Secondary: Highest bridge or narrowest tower base

For the load, it will usually be a weight or object like a golf ball, tennis ball etc. Every team should get one so you can test while you build.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Hey guys, there are Scioly.org t-shirts for sale! There were new logo shirts as well as old logo shirts, but the new logo shirts are out of stock. Bernard says that they will only order new logo t-shirts if enough people want them, so I am trying to convince more people to buy the new logo shirts (I want one). You can have your username be printed on the back of the new logo shirts as well. 8-)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Crtomir
State: OH

Post by Crtomir »

Our team placed 3rd in Mystery Architecure at the Ohio State Tournament. They had to build a cantilever that hung off of a wall and held a 12 oz. soda can. See picture:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3LSSdkKkivtYxCW2

Unfortunately, the scoring was all messed up. The students were supposed to take their bag that that their team number on it and go to that station to build their cantilever. The event supervisors did not tell them that, so teams took their bags and numbers at random. Then, when they did the scoring, they recorded each team's score as if they were from the team number that was their bag/station number. Here, we were team #9, but our score got recorded for team #4 because we were at station #4. There was no way to back out what each team placed (not everyone will remember their station number). They could have turned this event into a trial event, but it would not have affected the team rankings.

I don't know what materials they had to work with. They said they were given a whole roll of tape to work with. Usually, they limit the amount of tape. It also looks like they had bamboo skewers to work with. Not sure how many.

Hope this helps those going to Nationals. Good luck.
chalker
Division: Grad

Post by chalker »

Crtomir wrote: Unfortunately, the scoring was all messed up. The students were supposed to take their bag that that their team number on it and go to that station to build their cantilever. The event supervisors did not tell them that, so teams took their bags and numbers at random. Then, when they did the scoring, they recorded each team's score as if they were from the team number that was their bag/station number. Here, we were team #9, but our score got recorded for team #4 because we were at station #4. There was no way to back out what each team placed (not everyone will remember their station number). They could have turned this event into a trial event, but it would not have affected the team rankings.
Just wanted to point out that while this did potentially happen, there isn't any concrete evidence to prove that it did happen. We looked at this a bit after the awards ceremony and couldn't conclude one way or the other. Note it also didn't matter if we trialed the event, as the gap between 2nd and 3rd place was more than the number of teams, hence it wouldn't change who was going to nationals.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
waffletree
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by waffletree »

I know the state supervisor for my state, and he has given me practice cantilevers to do, and if it is a cantilever, a table of something should be provided.
builder cult vp // #treegang
Crtomir

Post by Crtomir »

chalker wrote:
Crtomir wrote: Unfortunately, the scoring was all messed up. The students were supposed to take their bag that that their team number on it and go to that station to build their cantilever. The event supervisors did not tell them that, so teams took their bags and numbers at random. Then, when they did the scoring, they recorded each team's score as if they were from the team number that was their bag/station number. Here, we were team #9, but our score got recorded for team #4 because we were at station #4. There was no way to back out what each team placed (not everyone will remember their station number). They could have turned this event into a trial event, but it would not have affected the team rankings.
Just wanted to point out that while this did potentially happen, there isn't any concrete evidence to prove that it did happen. We looked at this a bit after the awards ceremony and couldn't conclude one way or the other. Note it also didn't matter if we trialed the event, as the gap between 2nd and 3rd place was more than the number of teams, hence it wouldn't change who was going to nationals.
Yes. That is true. I should have been more careful to point out that there was no conclusive evidence, but something was suspect and this seems to be the best theory as to what happened. Also the intent was not to complain about the event, but rather to show what a high placing cantilever looks like and how it was setup for some students/coaches that are in the dark about how cantilevers can be run. I apologize for stirring the pot on this.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”