Division: Grad
State: WA

Optics B/C

Postby bernard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 pm

Optics Wiki
Optics Test Exchange 2018
Past Threads: 2011, 2012, 2017
Past Question Marathons: 2017
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

WhatScience?
Division: B
State: NJ

Re: Optics B/C

Postby WhatScience? » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:25 am

Once everyone build's their LSS, we should hold competitions over chat
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

jkang
State: TX

Postby jkang » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:52 am

Any good resources for this event? A lot of my questions have been pulled from college-level texts (AP-level questions are what I'd consider the "easiest" level in my tests) and even some graduate, and I was wondering what resources were considered to be "normal" difficulty for this event.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:59 am

jkang wrote:Any good resources for this event? A lot of my questions have been pulled from college-level texts (AP-level questions are what I'd consider the "easiest" level in my tests) and even some graduate, and I was wondering what resources were considered to be "normal" difficulty for this event.

Creol, the College of Optics and Photonics at the University of Central Florida is sponsoring this year's event and will be posting resources to its website.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Postby Skink » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:18 am

jkang wrote:Any good resources for this event? A lot of my questions have been pulled from college-level texts (AP-level questions are what I'd consider the "easiest" level in my tests) and even some graduate, and I was wondering what resources were considered to be "normal" difficulty for this event.

I've been wrestling with this one for weeks. Because it's all algebra-based, we shouldn't need anything beyond AP 2 level problem sets for this event. Still, I ordered a book one step up and am testing that this season...the thing to remember is that the tests aren't supposed to be inaccessible, so it does seem like any textbook plus workbooks/end of chapter problems are adequate.

kenniky
State: MA

Postby kenniky » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:39 am

I personally used HyperPhysics and found it more than adequate

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 pm

What level of math should I really be expecting for Division B.

I have already taken Algebra I and am taking geometry this year. Do I need anything beyond that?
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Froggie
State: PA

Postby Froggie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:08 pm

WhatScience? wrote:Once everyone build's their LSS, we should hold competitions over chat

How??
But if it works that would be fun.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:20 pm

So after the LSS is built, at designated times decided on this forum we all agree on a distance from center to what side for the target, and a position for the barrier (how far from front end and how far of center aligned it is) and then we time everyone. We all go through the event as mentioned in the rules and measure our scores. We trust people to be honest, because why lie.

If we want, we could keep track of the winners and recognize them in the end.

Events 2018

Person
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: -

Postby Person » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:23 pm

WhatScience? wrote:So after the LSS is built, at designated times decided on this forum we all agree on a distance from center to what side for the target, and a position for the barrier (how far from front end and how far of center aligned it is) and then we time everyone. We all go through the event as mentioned in the rules and measure our scores. We trust people to be honest, because why lie.

If we want, we could keep track of the winners and recognize them in the end.

This could probably even be arranged without having everyone doing it at the same time. You could just post a certain setup and people could reply with their score whenever they have time.
I am a Person.
Past events: Solar Systems, Crave the Wave, ENTOMOLOGY, Dynamic Planet, Scrambler, Invasive Species, Forensics, Hydrogeology, Optics, Herpetology, Astronomy, Remote Sensing
#TehEntoCult ENTO IS LUV ENTO IS LYFE
Most Original Username 2016, 2017, 2018
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:50 pm

Exactly.

Though it would be better if we still hold multiple competitions with deadlines for each.

Maybe we could have everyone do at least 1 test a week and share results.

Events 2018

Froggie
State: PA

Postby Froggie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:08 am

I think we should just have someone pick a target, and whenever people have time they do it, and whoever got the most points pick the next target.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:38 am

WhatScience? wrote:What level of math should I really be expecting for Division B.

I have already taken Algebra I and am taking geometry this year. Do I need anything beyond that?

Minimal algebra. Tests should slant concepts, but be able to calculate speed of light in a given medium, use Snell's Law (that's new to B division this season, seems, even though it was typically assessed, anyway), calculate image properties, etc. Nothing too major...certainly none of the trig involved in some of the, ahem, challenge problems posted in last season's topic!

jkang
State: TX

Postby jkang » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:40 am

Here's the test I used for the UT Regional last season (given to both B and C division). It's probably much harder than most would expect in terms of content and math involved. I think surprisingly Beckendorff ended up beating every team (B and C) in terms of test points (aka excluding the LSS).
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15

cuber
State: NY

Postby cuber » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:10 am

I really like that this year, the LSS has a magnetic base. Minor movements of the mirrors after letting go of them or adjusting my template were my biggest source of error last year, hopefully magnets will prevent that.

Return to “Lab Events”