Optics B/C

OpticsNerd
Division: C
State: WI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by OpticsNerd »

Lol at state we got 10/40 on the laser shoot(Missed the barrier by like 1 mm, otherwise would've been at least 30/40), and 60/60 on the test, so we got 1st.
MattChina
Division: B
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by MattChina »

OpticsNerd wrote:Lol at state we got 10/40 on the laser shoot(Missed the barrier by like 1 mm, otherwise would've been at least 30/40), and 60/60 on the test, so we got 1st.
What state?
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
OpticsNerd
State: WI

Post by OpticsNerd »

MattChina wrote:
OpticsNerd wrote:Lol at state we got 10/40 on the laser shoot(Missed the barrier by like 1 mm, otherwise would've been at least 30/40), and 60/60 on the test, so we got 1st.
What state?
Lol it says "WI" right under my name.
MattChina
Division: B

Post by MattChina »

OpticsNerd wrote:
MattChina wrote:
What state?
Lol it says "WI" right under my name.
Oh.lol didnt see that
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by raxu »

Now that Nats is over, I am curious if any team has a consistent strategy for 5 mirror and >1 barrier. My partner and I figured out 5 mirror 1 barrier with great accuracy, but couldn't find a consistent one for >1 barrier.

Our strategy: use the center barrier. We made small protractors and sticks for a bit of ray-tracing, but our main tool is 45-degree template and a 22.5-45-67.5 template.
If it's facing us, use either parallel (periscope) or perpendicular (retro-reflector) mirror to redirect it (with some ray-tracing, which is really accurate given the middle line), then do four 45-degree mirrors using templates, with the last one directed at the goal.
If it's not facing us, use three 45-degree mirrors to go beyond the barrier, do parallel/perp, then use the last one to get to the goal.
The special case: the mirror is parallel or perpendicular to the walls. In this case, we have a 22.5-45-67.5 template that uses 3 mirrors (here is how it functions). The last 2 helps the beam get to the goal.

I would imagine a consistent >1 barrier strategy needs to be very efficient at getting from one barrier to another. We tried doing on-the-spot ray-tracing with protractor + ruler, but we couldn't get it accurate enough to get other mirrors. Really curious how other teams do it!
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Killboe wrote:
Froggie wrote:
Killboe wrote:

Can't we test trade?
I’m pretty sure it’s copyrighted.

I know many people who have traded national tests.
Is it allowed?
No, exchanging or otherwise redistributing materials published by Science Olympiad, Inc. is a violation of its copyright and terms of use, and can subject you to legal action. It is significantly cheaper to buy materials directly from the Science Olympiad Store than to pay for damages and legal fees resulting from copyright infringement.

The agreements you enter by using Science Olympiad content are published on their Copyrights, Media and Use page and the Science Olympiad Store Terms of Use.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2018 Lab Events”