Optics B/C

Ganti
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Ganti »

reed303 wrote:
Ganti wrote:Is there a formula or strategy for LSS (Division B). First time here doing any middle school event
Some info to get you started can be found here:
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Optics#Laser_Shoot
I have read the instructions. But don’t know the strategy used to place the mirrors. Is it hit and try method?
Pettywap
Division: C
State: PA

Post by Pettywap »

Ganti wrote:
reed303 wrote:
Ganti wrote:Is there a formula or strategy for LSS (Division B). First time here doing any middle school event
I have read the instructions. But don’t know the strategy used to place the mirrors. Is it hit and try method?
That's not possible because the laser can only be turned on after the 4 minutes are up.
"Who's Fettywap?"
reed303

Post by reed303 »

Ganti wrote:
reed303 wrote:
After you build your own practice LSS, you practice placing the mirrors at various angles to hit any given spot on the Target ruler.

From that most teams develop a paper template, that you can lay over the Event LSS (without interfering with the barrier mirror), and then take their best shot at aligning the covered mirrors so as to hit the Target spot when the covers are removed and the laser turned on.
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
jxxu20
State: NJ

Post by jxxu20 »

Hi all,

I'm in a really desperate situation right now. Because of today's snowstorm (in NJ), school has been cancelled for today. The weather forecast for my town says that the high temperature for tomorrow is 13 degrees and the low is 2 degrees; however, it will be a sunny day. Hence, the sun will melt the snow but then it will freeze and turn into ice. Therefore, school might be cancelled tomorrow (again).

With that being said, I left my Optics LSS at school yesterday; if there is no school tomorrow, I will not be able to retrieve my LSS and do some much-needed practice for Optics. Even worse, I have regionals (at UCC) next Tuesday; furthermore, I haven't even finished making my templates! What do I do???!!!
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping
Pettywap
State: PA

Post by Pettywap »

jxxu20 wrote:Hi all,

I'm in a really desperate situation right now. Because of today's snowstorm (in NJ), school has been cancelled for today. The weather forecast for my town says that the high temperature for tomorrow is 13 degrees and the low is 2 degrees; however, it will be a sunny day. Hence, the sun will melt the snow but then it will freeze and turn into ice. Therefore, school might be cancelled tomorrow (again).

With that being said, I left my Optics LSS at school yesterday; if there is no school tomorrow, I will not be able to retrieve my LSS and do some much-needed practice for Optics. Even worse, I have regionals (at UCC) next Tuesday; furthermore, I haven't even finished making my templates! What do I do???!!!
You could finish at least 4 mirrors if you are doing the 45, 45,90 triangle setup
"Who's Fettywap?"
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

jxxu20 wrote:Hi all,

This is probably a long shot but you could make a paper version of this and finish your template on that.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Pettywap wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:
Pettywap wrote: What happens if the image goes past the second lens and is inverted?
First ray: Back project from the first image through the center of the second lens for one ray (since this ray is undeflected by the second lens).
Second ray: Go from the original object through the first focus, and then the first lens which then emerges parallel to the principal axis. Then, it'll go through the second lens and go towards the second focus.

The intersection of these two ray should help you define the final image.

I think it shouldn't matter much whether the image from the first lens inverted or upright

Can you explain this one?
"Two thin converging lenses each with a focal length of 40 cm are positioned with 40 cm apart. An object is placed 60cm to the left of the first lens."
Sure.

For the first lens:

Because the lenses are separated by 40 centimeters, the location of the object for the second lens is -80 centimeters. Therefore:

Sorry for the late response!
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

From the practice tests that you guys have taken, which ones would you most recommend?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
lbeals
Division: B
State: OH

Post by lbeals »

As I read the event description, I do not see that EMR spectrum, the nature of light, red/blue shift, and photon calculations are part of it. Is this a quality control issue with the tests being written for invitationals, or are the events not expected to follow their descriptions more strictly? Should I be reading between the lines to broaden what I cover as a coach?
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

lbeals wrote:As I read the event description, I do not see that EMR spectrum, the nature of light, red/blue shift, and photon calculations are part of it. Is this a quality control issue with the tests being written for invitationals, or are the events not expected to follow their descriptions more strictly? Should I be reading between the lines to broaden what I cover as a coach?
A typical test will have what is covered with the rules and then it will go further.

If I were you, I would teach your students what's on the list AND teach them Optics out of a couple of textbooks, covering what they don't already know.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”