Optics B/C

Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Re: More Laser Shoot Rule & Scoring Questions

Post by Froggie »

5uper5tring wrote:(1) Who is supposed to remove the mirror covers at the end of the lab? The student(s) or the proctor? If the mirror placement is disturb in the process, are the students allowed to re-adjust?
(2) In the 2018 Optics Scoring Sheet, there is a column for "Laser No Wall" to indicate if the Laser strikes a wall of the box. If some of the mirrors are not perfectly vertical or if the laser is not perfectly aligned horizontally (pointing a little too high or low) resulting in the final beam hitting the floor before reaching the back wall or hitting above the backwall, how does that affect the score?

Thanks!
(1) Students should take the covers off. It depends on the proctor to let students re-adjust the mirror.
(2) I have no idea. The proctor should check it before and in between the laser shoot, but I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

5uper5tring wrote:(1) Who is supposed to remove the mirror covers at the end of the lab? The student(s) or the proctor? If the mirror placement is disturb in the process, are the students allowed to re-adjust?
(2) In the 2018 Optics Scoring Sheet, there is a column for "Laser No Wall" to indicate if the Laser strikes a wall of the box. If some of the mirrors are not perfectly vertical or if the laser is not perfectly aligned horizontally (pointing a little too high or low) resulting in the final beam hitting the floor before reaching the back wall or hitting above the backwall, how does that affect the score?

Thanks!
Rule 4.j. says the participants remove the covering. It'll really be up to the individual event supervisor as to what happens if mirror placement is disturbed, but I wouldn't could on being able to re-adjust it.

I've never personally seen a laser deflect too high or low, so it's very unlikely to happen. However, again it will be up to the individual event supervisor how to handle it. If it happened in an event I was running I'd use a ruler as a straight edge to determine where it would have hit the wall.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

chalker wrote:I've never personally seen a laser deflect too high or low, so it's very unlikely to happen. However, again it will be up to the individual event supervisor how to handle it. If it happened in an event I was running I'd use a ruler as a straight edge to determine where it would have hit the wall.
This happened to one of our teams at UGA last weekend - the laser light actually ended up hitting one of the participants. The ES decided to, apparently, just give them a distance of 30 cm (according to the participants involved, that's actually what they said).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
5uper5tring
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by 5uper5tring »

That seems unfair because the participants have no control over the height of the final location that the laser will strike. Participants can only control the left-right displacement.
OpticsCoach12

Barrier orientation

Post by OpticsCoach12 »

Is there any guidelines for setting the barrier for Optics B group. It is mentioned , it can be setup in angular ( including perpendicular to center ). atleast barrier should always face towards target side to ensure we can hit target using barrier mirror.
Unome
State: GA

Re: Barrier orientation

Post by Unome »

OpticsCoach12 wrote:Is there any guidelines for setting the barrier for Optics B group. It is mentioned , it can be setup in angular ( including perpendicular to center ). atleast barrier should always face towards target side to ensure we can hit target using barrier mirror.
The barrier is not restricted to certain orientations. It's still possible to utilize the barrier mirror in Div B regardless of orientation, though some angles are undoubtedly much harder than others.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
meierfra
Coach
Coach
State: MI

Post by meierfra »

5uper5tring wrote: (2) In the 2018 Optics Scoring Sheet, there is a column for "Laser No Wall" to indicate if the Laser strikes a wall of the box. If some of the mirrors are not perfectly vertical or if the laser is not perfectly aligned horizontally (pointing a little too high or low) resulting in the final beam hitting the floor before reaching the back wall or hitting above the backwall, how does that affect the score?
Rule 4g says the event supervisor is required to demonstrate the beam's alignment to each team, hopefully showing that the beam is neither left or right nor high or low.
5uper5tring

Post by 5uper5tring »

meierfra wrote:
5uper5tring wrote: (2) In the 2018 Optics Scoring Sheet, there is a column for "Laser No Wall" to indicate if the Laser strikes a wall of the box. If some of the mirrors are not perfectly vertical or if the laser is not perfectly aligned horizontally (pointing a little too high or low) resulting in the final beam hitting the floor before reaching the back wall or hitting above the backwall, how does that affect the score?
Rule 4g says the event supervisor is required to demonstrate the beam's alignment to each team, hopefully showing that the beam is neither left or right nor high or low.
A not perfectly vertical mirror could also result in laser team striking too high or too low. The bottom line is that participants shouldn't be penalized for things they can not control.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

5uper5tring wrote:
A not perfectly vertical mirror could also result in laser team striking too high or too low. The bottom line is that participants shouldn't be penalized for things they can not control.
I'm confused how you think the participants are being penalized in this situation? The rules explicitly say accuracy is only the horizontal distance from the target point, not the vertical distance.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

chalker wrote:
5uper5tring wrote:
I'm confused how you think the participants are being penalized in this situation? The rules explicitly say accuracy is only the horizontal distance from the target point, not the vertical distance.
I think he/she is talking about this:
Unome wrote: This happened to one of our teams at UGA last weekend - the laser light actually ended up hitting one of the participants. The ES decided to, apparently, just give them a distance of 30 cm (according to the participants involved, that's actually what they said).
And how they might have gotten a better score if the beam had hit the wall (like maybe they actually would have missed the target by 20 cm if the laser hit the wall)
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Return to “2018 Lab Events”