State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Optics B/C

Post by bernard »

Optics Wiki
Optics Test Exchange 2018
Past Threads: 2011, 2012, 2017
Past Question Marathons: 2017
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by WhatScience? »

Once everyone build's their LSS, we should hold competitions over chat
jkang
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by jkang »

Any good resources for this event? A lot of my questions have been pulled from college-level texts (AP-level questions are what I'd consider the "easiest" level in my tests) and even some graduate, and I was wondering what resources were considered to be "normal" difficulty for this event.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

jkang wrote:Any good resources for this event? A lot of my questions have been pulled from college-level texts (AP-level questions are what I'd consider the "easiest" level in my tests) and even some graduate, and I was wondering what resources were considered to be "normal" difficulty for this event.
Creol, the College of Optics and Photonics at the University of Central Florida is sponsoring this year's event and will be posting resources to its website.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

jkang wrote:Any good resources for this event? A lot of my questions have been pulled from college-level texts (AP-level questions are what I'd consider the "easiest" level in my tests) and even some graduate, and I was wondering what resources were considered to be "normal" difficulty for this event.
I've been wrestling with this one for weeks. Because it's all algebra-based, we shouldn't need anything beyond AP 2 level problem sets for this event. Still, I ordered a book one step up and am testing that this season...the thing to remember is that the tests aren't supposed to be inaccessible, so it does seem like any textbook plus workbooks/end of chapter problems are adequate.
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

I personally used HyperPhysics and found it more than adequate
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

What level of math should I really be expecting for Division B.

I have already taken Algebra I and am taking geometry this year. Do I need anything beyond that?
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

WhatScience? wrote:Once everyone build's their LSS, we should hold competitions over chat
How??
But if it works that would be fun.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

So after the LSS is built, at designated times decided on this forum we all agree on a distance from center to what side for the target, and a position for the barrier (how far from front end and how far of center aligned it is) and then we time everyone. We all go through the event as mentioned in the rules and measure our scores. We trust people to be honest, because why lie.

If we want, we could keep track of the winners and recognize them in the end.
Person

Post by Person »

WhatScience? wrote:So after the LSS is built, at designated times decided on this forum we all agree on a distance from center to what side for the target, and a position for the barrier (how far from front end and how far of center aligned it is) and then we time everyone. We all go through the event as mentioned in the rules and measure our scores. We trust people to be honest, because why lie.

If we want, we could keep track of the winners and recognize them in the end.
This could probably even be arranged without having everyone doing it at the same time. You could just post a certain setup and people could reply with their score whenever they have time.
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

Return to “2018 Lab Events”