Division: Grad
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Schrodingerscat »

ElPotato wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
ElPotato wrote:What do you guys make your rigs out of? Paper or something else? I personally use paper but I feel like it's too flimsy sometimes.
If you mean the LSS box, we make it out of wood (plywood in specific).
Ah no I meant the templates that people use to position mirrors. I would love to see a laser shoot made out of paper lol.
If I recall correctly, we printed them on a thicker paper and then laminated them back in my day. That or it might have been an intermediate step of gluing the printed thin paper onto a thicker backing paper before lamination.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

ElPotato wrote:What do you guys make your rigs out of? Paper or something else? I personally use paper but I feel like it's too flimsy sometimes.
Mine are just made out of paper (two layers since I folded it to make it). It doesn't really bend when I use it, so maybe it's just the extra layer that helps.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Card stock usually works pretty well.
bt03
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by bt03 »

Very disappointed that it wasn't ran at my NY regional :(.
To be frank, templates are nice but I think luck always remains supreme.
I've seen teams use customized protractors with pieces of string attached for angle of incidence, reflection instead of a template and they do very well.
For templates, make sure to cut holes so the barrier can fit without problems. Happened to me before and I couldn't use the template. Dumb luck worked in my favor at the time. :D
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?
anug123

Post by anug123 »

Is it allow to replace barrier position with some laminated cutout and put them back after determining all position of mirrors? I feel it is very hard to measure the angle of barriers mirrors, with keeping the wooden block.
Any other suggestion you folks have that would help if we want to strike the barrier mirror which become crucial to get good scores in LSS.
Also, I heard next year, optics is going away, any idea with which event this would be replacing?
jonboyage

Post by jonboyage »

anug123 wrote:Is it allow to replace barrier position with some laminated cutout and put them back after determining all position of mirrors? I feel it is very hard to measure the angle of barriers mirrors, with keeping the wooden block.
Any other suggestion you folks have that would help if we want to strike the barrier mirror which become crucial to get good scores in LSS.
Also, I heard next year, optics is going away, any idea with which event this would be replacing?
No, removing the barrier mirror should not be allowed. If you're having trouble measuring the barrier mirror's angle because it moves, you're probably allowed to just hold it in place so that it doesn't move. It should be especially easy if the LSS has a magnetic surface to hold the mirrors in place. If it's hard to put a protractor on the surface of the LSS because other mirrors are in the way, you can just place it on top of the barrier mirror, making sure not to move it. I've seen a lot of people use protractors with strings attached to them to help them measure the angles.

Next year, optics should be replaced by circuit lab.

Hope that helped!
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
anug123

Post by anug123 »

Thanks it helps,
quantumk19

Post by quantumk19 »

Does anyone have a big chart for color mixing? We have the basic color mixing diagrams from the Wiki, but we have come across many questions about tertiary mixing and/or a combination of additive and subtractive mixing. If anyone has a concise reference to study for that, it would be super helpful.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

quantumk19 wrote:Does anyone have a big chart for color mixing? We have the basic color mixing diagrams from the Wiki, but we have come across many questions about tertiary mixing and/or a combination of additive and subtractive mixing. If anyone has a concise reference to study for that, it would be super helpful.
Image from the Wikipedia page for tertiary colors
Lazerchix

Post by Lazerchix »

in division B Lasershoot, can the mirror on the barrier be on the back side of the barrier?

Return to “2018 Lab Events”