Potions and Poisons B

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by Unome »

viscamander wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
Froggie wrote: I'm almost positive that you can.
Follow the event manual to the letter - You are permitted "five 8.5” x 11” sheets of paper that may contain information on both sides in any form and from any source." Supervisors will be checking this during the event.
I know you can use your notes for the testing portion of the event, but I need to know if I can use it for the lab part as well.
It's not explicitly stated in the rules, but generally you should be able to. However, it's possible that some event supervisors may make you do the lab without your notesheets (although this will likely turn out to be very difficult for them to handle).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
vehicleguy
Division: C

Post by vehicleguy »

vehicleguy wrote:The lab and the test go on at the same time so yes you can use notes during the lab portion.
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

Ignore this. This wasn't meant for spam. I accidentally wrote two messages.
Last edited by vehicleguy on February 24th, 2018, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

Ignore this post.
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
viscamander
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by viscamander »

Unome wrote:
viscamander wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
Follow the event manual to the letter - You are permitted "five 8.5” x 11” sheets of paper that may contain information on both sides in any form and from any source." Supervisors will be checking this during the event.
I know you can use your notes for the testing portion of the event, but I need to know if I can use it for the lab part as well.
It's not explicitly stated in the rules, but generally you should be able to. However, it's possible that some event supervisors may make you do the lab without your notesheets (although this will likely turn out to be very difficult for them to handle).
Thank you!
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

viscamander wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
Froggie wrote: I'm almost positive that you can.
Unfortunately, we just attended an invitational on Long Island and the Potions and Poisons supervisor told the students they were not permitted to split the test and lab and work on them separately (which I have never heard of) and that they must do one part (test) and then the other part (lab) both students together. I have never had students do this, has anyone else done this - and why?
PotatoBoi

Post by PotatoBoi »

drcubbin wrote:
viscamander wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
Unfortunately, we just attended an invitational on Long Island and the Potions and Poisons supervisor told the students they were not permitted to split the test and lab and work on them separately (which I have never heard of) and that they must do one part (test) and then the other part (lab) both students together. I have never had students do this, has anyone else done this - and why?
I believe this was not the intended way for the event to be run. When it was run at the 2016 national tournament, we were allowed to split the written and lab portions.
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

PotatoBoi wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
viscamander wrote: I know you can use your notes for the testing portion of the event, but I need to know if I can use it for the lab part as well.
I believe this was not the intended way for the event to be run. When it was run at the 2016 national tournament, we were allowed to split the written and lab portions.
Agreed :D
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

Does anyone have an example of a lab where a precipitate or gas was formed after the reagents were mixed? What did you have to do and what types of questions follow?
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
xraychick

Post by xraychick »

Here is a link to lesson plans for many chemistry labs. Some even have videos so you can see the reaction take place without actually doing the experiment, which is great if you are pressed for time because this at least gives you a better understanding of how things should work.

https://betterlesson.com/search?subject ... ete_option

Return to “2018 Lab Events”