bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Potions and Poisons B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by WhatScience? »

Don't forget to check out the question marathon.
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Potions and Poisons? What does the "potions" part mean?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

I think the potions part was just for the name.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY

Post by NeilMehta »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:Potions and Poisons? What does the "potions" part mean?
Well, the description mentions "toxic and therapeutic" chemicals, so "potions" most likely refers to the "therapeutic" part
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

NeilMehta wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:Potions and Poisons? What does the "potions" part mean?
Well, the description mentions "toxic and therapeutic" chemicals, so "potions" most likely refers to the "therapeutic" part
Thank you!!!
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Specifically (and my source is "the Woz"), the potions part refers to the regular chemical reactions (which constitutes half of the event?). It makes sense if framed beneath a Harry Potter sort of backdrop...
Jesusfather123

Post by Jesusfather123 »

Hi,
This is the first time trying to study potions and poisons . As there no much material available in SO site for this topic, can anyone please help how to prepare for this event ? Where to get study materials for this topics?
Thanks
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

Jesusfather123 wrote:Hi,
This is the first time trying to study potions and poisons . As there no much material available in SO site for this topic, can anyone please help how to prepare for this event ? Where to get study materials for this topics?
Thanks
SO, this is a pretty straightforward event. What you see in the rules is what you get on the test. Our wiki has a good coverage on some topics. For the topics it does not have, look at the overall format and then google search for them. What you get on wikipedia and other of the first search results should be enough.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY

Post by NeilMehta »

Jesusfather123 wrote:Hi,
Thanks
Well, the event goes over multiple categories, with different ways to prepare for each:

The Potions and Poisons wiki page over most of the general parts for the event. I would very highly recommend just starting on reading up on the Wikipedia page for the common household toxins and take notes on their chemical equations and precautions to take while using them (never mix ammonia and bleach !!)

If you get a partner for the event, it's also possible to split up the toxic plants vs toxic substances, so one person does each, Quite honestly, I'm not too good with toxic plants, but [user]Person[/user] did a pretty good job explaining them on the wiki page.

For the chemistry side, I'd say it's important to be very quick with balancing chemical equations and recognizing chemical equations, but those should come with practice. It is also important to know basic terminology to classify substances (homogeneous, heterogeneous, solution, mixture, compound, etc) Even though they're simple, they only have slight differences, and it is extremely easy to confuse them (I sure know I do...).
Pro tip: Quizlet has plenty of these definitions to help you study!! (https://quizlet.com/108897808/physical- ... ash-cards/)
Practicing balancing simple equations such as the equation for photosynthesis can prepare, and running a google search for the topic should give plenty of worksheets.

Finally, for the labs (listed in the manual), ask your coaches/science teachers if they can help set up or provide materials to perform them. We set up some labs in school for Food Science for the past two years and ran them, and they went quite smoothly. It's really important to make sure the process for all of the labs, so things don't get messy on tournament day.

Hopefully this helped, and if you want to practice here on Scioly.org, the Question Marathons page is always open for business!
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Return to “2018 Lab Events”