Potions and Poisons B

WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by WhatScience? »

Sequence wrote:Does anyone have any advice on what to fill up the 5 front and back ref sheets with? As of right now, I've only got 3 and 1/2 out of the 10 allowed. Most of my info is about the household chemicals and toxic spills because the I couldn't really find anything to elaborate heavily on the other topics. I have a whole page of pics of the toxic plants and animals and another page of pics of spills, graphs, bonds, etc

Thanks!
Completely serious here, wikipedia the organisms. Legit most organism questions are either rlly basic or taken from wikipedia
Galahad
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

WhatScience? wrote:
Sequence wrote:Does anyone have any advice on what to fill up the 5 front and back ref sheets with? As of right now, I've only got 3 and 1/2 out of the 10 allowed. Most of my info is about the household chemicals and toxic spills because the I couldn't really find anything to elaborate heavily on the other topics. I have a whole page of pics of the toxic plants and animals and another page of pics of spills, graphs, bonds, etc

Thanks!
Completely serious here, wikipedia the organisms. Legit most organism questions are either rlly basic or taken from wikipedia
Eh, for cane toad and pacific newt use ADW.

I've gotten semi-specific tests before on the organisms, just don't stray far from the toxic part. Most of the questions are based on it's poison/venom, and our states test was more than just basic organism questions. I doubt nats will be basic
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

Have researched actual mass spills and contaminations? 3-Mile Island, Love Canal, Flint MI, The Dakota Oil Pipeline, Hinkley California? Just on these alone, you could fill up 40 to 50 pages!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Sequence
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Sequence »

dholdgreve wrote:Have researched actual mass spills and contaminations? 3-Mile Island, Love Canal, Flint MI, The Dakota Oil Pipeline, Hinkley California? Just on these alone, you could fill up 40 to 50 pages!
I haven't. Of the regional and invitational tests and the practice tests I took, they don't have much about the toxic spills part. In fact, most of the stuff is stuff I learned in chemistry class. I guess I could put some examples of spills, but I'm not sure it will be too useful in upcoming tournaments if they don't ask about spills.
It is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago. - Dan Quayle, former U.S. Vice-President
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

very true. pretty much all the tests i have been exposed to have been atrociously simple.. so yea
IvanGe
State: NY

Post by IvanGe »

everything I've done is what you do in 7th grade, its a pretty simple event considering all the tests I've looked at. It is literally Basic Chemistry + Identification and Facts about Specific Animals + Lab
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
Polar

Post by Polar »

Just competed at the Indiana state potions and poisons event. The lab activity was titration, which my partner and I had never heard of until that day. The proctors offered no explanations as to how to perform the lab activity: they just gave us the data sheet and the instructions basically said to perform a titration on these chemicals. We somehow managed to get 3rd though!
igotoschool

Post by igotoschool »

Polar wrote:Just competed at the Indiana state potions and poisons event. The lab activity was titration, which my partner and I had never heard of until that day. The proctors offered no explanations as to how to perform the lab activity: they just gave us the data sheet and the instructions basically said to perform a titration on these chemicals. We somehow managed to get 3rd though!
Titration? That isn't even given in the rules manual.
Polar

Post by Polar »

igotoschool wrote:
Polar wrote:Just competed at the Indiana state potions and poisons event. The lab activity was titration, which my partner and I had never heard of until that day. The proctors offered no explanations as to how to perform the lab activity: they just gave us the data sheet and the instructions basically said to perform a titration on these chemicals. We somehow managed to get 3rd though!
Titration? That isn't even given in the rules manual.
Yea I guess it isn't. But the scores weren't invalidated or anything.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

"Titration" may not be listed in the rules, but it does list "mixtures of reagents," and "Observations of changes in color," and "calculation of the rate of a chemical reaction or other parameters." Basically everything involving titrations. Ya... he probably should have given a little more instruction... but the flip side of that, is that if you had done any research at all on the terms the instructions do use, you would have stumbled across the titration term.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Return to “2018 Lab Events”