Potions and Poisons B

xraychick
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: December 1st, 2017, 11:07 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by xraychick » March 1st, 2018, 6:53 pm

This guys YouTube channel is also excellent to help you study anything chemistry related. He has a really good videos on how to balance chemical equations, understanding the periodic table, ionic vs. covalent(molecular) bonding and so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj3EXp ... peVWnVLoew

dvegadvol
Member
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: December 18th, 2015, 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by dvegadvol » March 6th, 2018, 10:18 am

Anyone have a P&P test that you could share? All of our invitationals returned only our answer sheets without the questions, which is completely worthless...

Thanks

User avatar
WhatScience?
Member
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by WhatScience? » March 6th, 2018, 3:07 pm

dvegadvol wrote:Anyone have a P&P test that you could share? All of our invitationals returned only our answer sheets without the questions, which is completely worthless...

Thanks
15 invitational sets were released recently on the forum. All the B ones contain potions tests. Check General chat

dvegadvol
Member
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: December 18th, 2015, 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by dvegadvol » March 6th, 2018, 8:03 pm

I'm sorry, new to this. Where exactly are the P&P tests? Thanks!

User avatar
WhatScience?
Member
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by WhatScience? » March 7th, 2018, 9:19 am

dvegadvol wrote:I'm sorry, new to this. Where exactly are the P&P tests? Thanks!
They been taken down.

viscamander
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by viscamander » March 8th, 2018, 6:25 pm

drcubbin wrote:
PotatoBoi wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
Unfortunately, we just attended an invitational on Long Island and the Potions and Poisons supervisor told the students they were not permitted to split the test and lab and work on them separately (which I have never heard of) and that they must do one part (test) and then the other part (lab) both students together. I have never had students do this, has anyone else done this - and why?
I believe this was not the intended way for the event to be run. When it was run at the 2016 national tournament, we were allowed to split the written and lab portions.
Agreed :D
Nobody told me we had to split the portions!!!!!! Are you sure about this? I would much rather work with my partner for both...

Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: June 19th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by Froggie » March 8th, 2018, 7:30 pm

viscamander wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
PotatoBoi wrote: I believe this was not the intended way for the event to be run. When it was run at the 2016 national tournament, we were allowed to split the written and lab portions.
Agreed :D
Nobody told me we had to split the portions!!!!!! Are you sure about this? I would much rather work with my partner for both...
Yiu din’t have to split it; you can work with your partner on both parts, but some people like to split it so that they can finish both the test and the lab.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 438
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by shrewdPanther46 » March 8th, 2018, 7:34 pm

drcubbin wrote:
PotatoBoi wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
Unfortunately, we just attended an invitational on Long Island and the Potions and Poisons supervisor told the students they were not permitted to split the test and lab and work on them separately (which I have never heard of) and that they must do one part (test) and then the other part (lab) both students together. I have never had students do this, has anyone else done this - and why?
I believe this was not the intended way for the event to be run. When it was run at the 2016 national tournament, we were allowed to split the written and lab portions.
Agreed :D
Yea, that is generally the approach. Our regional was encouraging us to not split it, and I am relatively sure that the ES was triggered at me for doing the lab instead of doing the test w/my partner, even though he finished it in a couple of minutes given the test quality wasn't exactly the best.

drcubbin
Member
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: January 9th, 2015, 6:28 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Bay Academy, Brooklyn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by drcubbin » March 9th, 2018, 1:56 am

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
PotatoBoi wrote: I believe this was not the intended way for the event to be run. When it was run at the 2016 national tournament, we were allowed to split the written and lab portions.
Agreed :D
Yea, that is generally the approach. Our regional was encouraging us to not split it, and I am relatively sure that the ES was triggered at me for doing the lab instead of doing the test w/my partner, even though he finished it in a couple of minutes given the test quality wasn't exactly the best.
I am not sure why there would even be a question of "split" or "don't split". Either choice in no way invalidates the results and (having taking tests with partners for what seems hundreds of years!) sometime you might need to work together and other times one partner's skill sets rises above so far, they do not need the other person so they are free to work on the other half.

Sequence
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 11:03 am
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by Sequence » March 11th, 2018, 9:28 am

Does anyone have any advice on what to fill up the 5 front and back ref sheets with? As of right now, I've only got 3 and 1/2 out of the 10 allowed. Most of my info is about the household chemicals and toxic spills because the I couldn't really find anything to elaborate heavily on the other topics. I have a whole page of pics of the toxic plants and animals and another page of pics of spills, graphs, bonds, etc

Thanks!

Locked

Return to “2018 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests